The Register's Annual Great Bicycle Ride Across Iowa

Dip Site In Keokuk

Anyone know the dip site location in Keokuk? I’ve seen both Victory Park and rand Park. Keokuk RAGBRAI web site doesn’t have anything on.

5 Replies

klkoopman, July 9, 2019 at 6:50 am

Just announced this morning in a press release on the Keokuk Facebook page: Victory Park.

R-Daryl Daryl, July 9, 2019 at 7:49 am

It has been an incredibly rough year for these river towns and the railroads along the river (in addition to all the areas still flooded upstream). Much appreciation to the volunteer teams that will be welcoming riders. A lot of work goes into hosting RAGBRAI – over and above the flood challenges. The route inspection team ended on the bluff at Rand Park because the riverfront could not be accessed in town during the first week of June.
The Press Release (below) indicates rail crossing work is still to be completed in the next two weeks:

Keokuk, Iowa – When RAGBRAI, the world famous bicycle ride ends in Keokuk on July 27, riders will experience the Biggest Dam Dip on the Mississippi at Victory Park, according to the Keokuk RAGBRAI organizing committees. With recent floodwaters overwhelming the riverfront, the final decision about the location of the dip site was delayed as long as possible. After consulting with local officials and contractors, the group agreed the park could be readied in time for the event.

The route to the dip site will bring riders underneath the bridge and across a temporary rail crossing BNSF will construct over the next few weeks. Local residents may remember the crossing there received some damage from a train derailment this past spring. Riders will continue on to the riverfront passed the George M. Verity Riverboat Museum, where local band, Glitter Salad, will stage their upbeat performance from 10:00 am -2:00 pm and Radio Keokuk will conduct its live remote broadcast throughout the day.

The actual dip site, where the ride culminates with riders dipping their front bicycle tire into the Mississippi River, will be located just south of Howard’s Boat Dock where the Hospitality committee will welcome riders with their own version of the Keokuk dam’s famous spillways. The Mierotto Shelter house will be the site of Main Street Keokuk, Inc.’s beverage garden with vendors setting up in the parking lot between the shelter house and the riverfront.

Mark Hartung, July 11, 2019 at 7:27 am

Thanks!

Larry Klaaren, July 11, 2019 at 9:27 am

Does anyone know if they will be better able to handle the numbers this year? I lingered a bit at Wildcat Den last year, but still got to Davenport in time (I thought) to dip and get to my baggage before the charter left. After waiting an hour in line to dip, I abandoned that to get my luggage.

Larry Klaaren, July 11, 2019 at 9:28 am

I already know you can dip in Burlington, Montrose etc., just wondering about the actual end of the ride.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Categories

Looking for RIDES

RAGBRAI XLVII – 2019

RAGBRAI XLVI – 2018

Training

RAGBRAI XLV – 2017

RAGBRAI XLIV – 2016

Gatherings & Meetings

Lost and Found

Miscellaneous

RAGBRAI XLIII – 2015

RAGBRAI XLII – 2014