RAGBRAI Route Announcement Party set for Friday, January 28! Get your tickets

Dip Site/Sight

In an effort to accommodate tire-dipping for Rag, Davenport has opened 4 miles of contiguous dip site:

10 Replies

jwsknk, April 19, 2011 at 7:48 am

good easy river access, migh cut down parking a traffic flow a bit though.

Zinger, April 19, 2011 at 9:04 am

Please tell me that my favorite Front Street Brewery is ok!!

rfattic, April 19, 2011 at 9:42 am

When was that picture taken

Pirate Brewer, April 19, 2011 at 4:28 pm

Zinger – Check this link.  Play the video.  It looks like the city going to save Front Street Brewery.  Let’s hope it works.

http://www.wqad.com/news/wqad-davenport-flood-preps-041211,0,1940841.story

Tony, April 19, 2011 at 6:11 pm

I took some images today and yesterday.

Today – This was taken from 3rd St and Marquette. Marquette is closed at 2nd street were the squad is at. It is .4 mile to the dip site from the squad. From the closed road sign behind the squad it is .3 miles to the dip site. Which is all under water. Note the pavilion in the distance The beer garden will be there.

Today – This is looking down N Perry St. Front St Brewery is just around the corner. Its safe for now. But note the vats are in the basement. The river is at 19 feet and about 2 feet up on this dike. The dike is good to 22 feet. Crest projection is Friday  at 21.2 feet. As you can see the city crews are working diligently to save the local businesses.

Yesterdsay View from the Sky Walk looking up river. This is HY 67 River Dr. The dike in the street is the N Perry St dike protecting Front St Brewery and the other businesses on the block. Note the water went up over a foot since this image. The median is now under water.

Lock n Dam 15 as seen from the Sky Walk. Lock n Dam 15 is the largest roller dam in the world. The bridge is Government bridge. One of only two full swing span bridges in the world. It was open 1896 and has been in operation ever since. The first bridge at this site was struck by a steamer and burnt to the water. Abraham Lincoln argued for the rail line and won a settlement to have the streamer line replace the bridge. Today the bridge has added a new purpose. It is now part of the American Discovery Trail. The River Trail on the Iowa side is the MRT (Mississippi River Trail) They connect at the bridge. You can ride your bike on its pedestrian deck. This is the closest view you can get to a roller dam.

Amanda, April 19, 2011 at 6:58 pm

Oh MY! I didn’t realize the flooding was so bad over there. That is terrible. I guess river towns expect some flooding every spring but YIKES!

Tony, April 20, 2011 at 1:15 am

Amanda it isn’t as bad as it looks, yet. Davenport is the only large river town without a dike. The city choose long ago not to put one in. There are natural flood plains in nature for a reason. The water has to go some where. If you bottle it up it only rises higher for the people up stream. If you notice the rollers on the dam are wide open. The Corp of Engineers opens them to get the water down stream. If they close them even a little. Flooding in the pool behind it rises fast until it over flows the dam. Which it has in the past with the rollers open. They don’t call it the Mighty Mississippi for nothing. Almost all the businesses along the river here know how to protect there property and do a good job of it. The city has learned from the past. This year the dikes were built rapidly with new box techniques. It will be up to mother nature for how long the water will be up. We are at the mercy of rain and snow melt now. But come July it should be high and dry. The big problem will be Credit Island which is under water at the moment. When it gets this high. There is allot of silt and debris that gets dumped on it. It takes a long time to dry it out and doze the debris. They did build a new dike around the club house. It should be safe. I wanted to take some images there, but I can’t get close enough to see it. I had thought about taking the kayaking out. But the river is just to dangerous when its up and running this fast. For any craft. I’ve canoed and kayak this section of the river for 37 years. You lean quickly when not to go out on it.

trapace, April 26, 2011 at 8:34 am

Tony,  thanks for the info and the pictures.  Part of me wants to spend a few extra dollars in Davenport enjoying their hospitality when we’re there.  And part of me says that we have rivers in Wisconsin too: we just don’t live in them.  Either way I feel for the people effected by the flooding.  Any of us could be similarly stricken if Mother Nature puts us in her sights.

mclousing, April 26, 2011 at 10:03 am

trapace said: Tony,  thanks for the info and the pictures.  Part of me wants to spend a few extra dollars in Davenport enjoying their hospitality when we’re there.  And part of me says that we have rivers in Wisconsin too: we just don’t live in them.  Either way I feel for the people effected by the flooding.  Any of us could be similarly stricken if Mother Nature puts us in her sights.

Yeah, in WI we have lakes that gobble up the houses on its banks and then disapear off of the face of the earth. 

Seems like this happens to this area every 5 years or so, hard way to live.

The forum ‘RAGBRAI XXXIX – 2011’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Categories

RAGBRAI XLVIII – 2021

RAGBRAI XLVIII – 2020

Training

Gatherings & Meetings

Lost and Found

Miscellaneous

Clubs, Teams & Charters

Friends of RAGBRAI