The Great Iowa Fall Ride registration is open!

Do Vendors accept cash or only credit

Not sure if this was asked already and I missed it but I know here in Denver area some places don’t take cash anymore due to COVID so I want to know if I need to bring a lot of cash or just my CC.

7 Replies

Gregory Akers, May 24, 2022 at 5:12 pm

Hi Beerbronco! Also from Denver and looking forward to RAGBRAI in July! Most vendors will accept cash and many accept CCs as well. If you want to buy pie or food from local churches and organizations, they usually want cash. My advice would be to bring some cash with you everyday along with your CC. I usually pack about $40-60 per day. Hope that helps!

This reply was modified 2 months, 3 weeks ago by Gregory Akers.

Uncle Kraig, May 24, 2022 at 7:38 pm

Every vendor takes cash and most, if not all, prefer it. Bring plenty of cash in small bills, 5′ s and 10’s.

garywilk, May 25, 2022 at 7:22 am

If you bring just your CC, you will likely go thirsty and hungry, although there is free city water in the pass through towns. Everyone takes cash and only a few will take CC and those will likely be few local places in the towns. With the limited cell service because of the influx of riders, the portable CC machines will not work or take forever to go through if they have them. You can always restock at an ATM in one of the overnight or pass through towns a few times during the week.

Amanda, May 25, 2022 at 1:04 pm

Food vendors take cash only. The vendors at the Expo will take debit or credit cards. But remember the wifi will be slow in some of these towns making it harder on those vendors to get your card to go thru. I think I brought $500 in cash for the week. This year probably $600 with inflation just to be sure I have enough.

Uncle Kraig, May 25, 2022 at 3:27 pm

I bring $100 per day in cash with alot of small bills. Then if I can, in the overnight towns, I will charge a dinner or drinks if I can in a bar or restaurant. Otherwise, it is a cash kind of week.

Rob Fuller, May 25, 2022 at 4:06 pm

Cash is king – but there will be many opportunities for the CC too. Kids sometimes sell fresh fruit for a cash donation or offer lemonade and PB&J sandwiches for a buck or two. By the way, look for the Iowa Corn Growers trailer for free corn (but get there early because they cook a limited number each day).

ak2outside, June 13, 2022 at 1:51 pm

Like most comment: cash is KING. I bring $100 for purchasing items along the route. Food, drinks, t-shirts, trinkets, etc. I bring one (1) $20, three (3) $10s, six (6) $5s, and twenty (20) one dollar bills. I put each day’s cash in a snack-sized ziplock and place it in that day’s jersey. I have each day’s wardrobe: shorts/bibs, jersey, cash, chamois cream packets, sports beans/caffeine shots/ gummies in a gallon sized freezer ziplock bag. My clothes are always dry for the day’s ride and I don’t have to think about anything as I am usually exhausted the entire trip. The more advanced I prepare, the better RAGBRAI has gone for me. Good Luck!

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Categories

RAGBRAI XLIX – 2022

RAGBRAI XLVIII – 2021

RAGBRAI XLVIII – 2020

Training

Gatherings & Meetings

Lost and Found

Miscellaneous

Clubs, Teams & Charters

Friends of RAGBRAI