Registration is now closed for RAGBRAI XLIX. Transfers are now open!

Do you have a mileage goal to reach before RAGBRAI?

Do you have a mileage goal to reach before RAGBRAI?  Mine is 5000 miles.  What’s yours?

37 Replies

Ragbrai Nation, February 1, 2012 at 8:58 am

Assuming your outdoor (road) training begins in March, 900-1200 mi. from that point should do it. Back way off the week leading up to the ride.

jwsknk, February 1, 2012 at 9:04 am

gee, now i feel like a slacker, goal for the year is only 3,660, (stupid leap year, adds 10 miles. :-)

Bad Bobby, February 1, 2012 at 9:10 am

Goal of 1500 before RAGRABI, usually get about 1000 in before hand, looks like I need to step it up :)

BAD BOBBY

mentor58, February 1, 2012 at 9:35 am

I should have about 2000 / 2500 before then.  Some will be real miles, some will be on the stationary bike (substituting Time for Miles).  I started my training this week, just doing easy spinning for the first two weeks, let the legs get used to riding again.

I plan on being the most prepared I’ve ever been for a tour for RAGBRAI, we’ll see how well that works.  I figure if I set a high amount of miles as my goal, even with the time stealers that occur in real life, I should be very well prepared

ehlent, February 1, 2012 at 10:18 am

last year had about 1600 in before ragbrai.   trying for 1500 or so this year.

Michrider !!!, February 1, 2012 at 11:06 am

My plan is 3,000 before the first day of RAGBRAI.  Last year I only had 2,300 due to problems with Lefty (knee).  Lefty should be fixed now, due to injections of sodium hyaluronate.  http://www.drugs.com/mtm/sodium-hyaluronate-injectable.html    Hope to have better RAGBRAI with more fun and less pain!!!!!

knees36, February 1, 2012 at 12:13 pm

CyclingRoberto said: Do you have a mileage goal to reach before RAGBRAI?  Mine is 5000 miles.  What’s yours?

El Zippo.  My goal is to just get to the Mississippi alive and there’s no rush to do that…it would be too bad if there was a rush at my age…and  I tend to let too many things get in the way of  mileage goals leading up to RAG.  But I really do enjoy the week, just the same.  Cheers. 

Hlwolfgram, February 1, 2012 at 1:50 pm

Any idea how many miles one can go in a spin class?  I’ll be spinning it until spring, but I’d like to get 1,000 to 1,500 in real road miles before RAGBRAI.

mentor58, February 1, 2012 at 2:02 pm

Hlwolfgram said: Any idea how many miles one can go in a spin class?  I’ll be spinning it until spring, but I’d like to get 1,000 to 1,500 in real road miles before RAGBRAI.

What I do is kind of figure out what my average pace is for that type of riding, and do a ‘time to miles’ type conversion.  I know that the speedo / odometer on my stationary bike is not consistent with my personal experience, so I just sort of gustimate.  

I plan on getting a lot of my ‘base miles’ in this week using things like the ‘Spinervals’ and other training videos.  It’s way better than nothing, and I do count them as miles for training purposes.

Steve

Sandaltan ., February 1, 2012 at 3:59 pm

The official record book says that I had 3400 miles prior to Day One of RAGBRAI  last year and I would like to match that.   My number one goal these days is to avoid nursing home and hospice food.

RIDE RIGHT and bring on the pork tenderloins

CyclingCyclone, February 1, 2012 at 4:27 pm

My number one goal these days is to avoid nursing home and hospice food. RIDE RIGHT and bring on the pork tenderloins

Very true Sandaltan. Cyduke approves.

Mike Murphy, February 1, 2012 at 8:34 pm

Only do road miles….should have 1500-2000 between March and July.

Wonder Woman, February 1, 2012 at 8:56 pm

Gee, I feel like a slacker. First year had about 500 miles, but was running about 20 miles/ week. Second year…no clue on miles, but ran a marathon a month before RAGBRAI, last year, got in 800 miles pre ragbrai as my knee gave out and I couldn’t run. Never had any trouble doing the miles on ragbrai as long as I ate enough. I plan on 1000 road miles b4 ragbrai this year (I don’t count trainer miles).

3 Pedal, February 2, 2012 at 7:30 am

Something north of a 1000 miles.  Currently sitting at 22, so I have a long way to go.  I don’t know how you guys get 3000+.  I guess I am too big a whimp to ride in the winter much.

Blumblebees, February 2, 2012 at 8:25 am

I’m aiming for between 1000-2500. Since I’m in worse than couch potato shape…heck lets just say I am the couch, I need all the miles I can get. I’m starting off with stationary as I need to either get a new bike or a lot of work done on my old bike (haven’t been on it over 10 years).  Also as a stay at home mommy I can’t just get out and go riding since I’m home with my 4 year old. Most of my road rides will be on the weekends and nights I’m not working my part time job. Either way I hoping to prove that you can go from being completely and totally out of shape to being able to ride the entire week of RAGBRAI. I don’t care if I have to walk my bike up every hill at least I’m out there!

Viewing 15 replies - 1 through 15 (of 37 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Categories

RAGBRAI XLIX – 2022

RAGBRAI XLVIII – 2021

RAGBRAI XLVIII – 2020

Training

Gatherings & Meetings

Lost and Found

Miscellaneous

Clubs, Teams & Charters

Friends of RAGBRAI