Do you like the route

Well I waited so long for this. I hope the route has a lot of flavors of roads. because it seems to me very straight forward. until you reach Waterloo down to Anamora.

29 Replies

Sandaltan ., January 26, 2020 at 11:19 am

Dieter had a very small part in the announcement…surprising. Dave “the California race announcer” must be replaced next year by someone who faces the camera when interviewing people. Ya gotta know where the camera is, Dave didn’t, Courtney, the Iowa Girl in the bicycle dress, did, much to her credit.

RIDE RIGHT

Joseph Schlau, January 26, 2020 at 11:25 am

How is the total mileage calculated already if we dont know what the pass through towns are?

Ragbrai already has a preliminary route mapped out. This route along with the pass through towns is announced in March. It gives Ragbrai time to reach out to potential pass through towns and see if they are in. If not the route will change to bypass them. Not every town we passed through is shown on the official map. Plans for road/bridge construction may change things too.

If you compare the March map with the final one posted in early July you will often see some changes in the route and total miles. If you just go from camp to camp it does not really matter. If you need to go off route to private housing it may make a difference. Also if you program your GPS to the March route, it may not match the final.

ppayne1959, January 26, 2020 at 11:52 am

Um… lets see, I will start out on my bike, ride east all week, have a blast and meet tons of new people. probably have a beer on the way. Yep, Great route!!

Bluestreelguy ., January 26, 2020 at 12:24 pm

y’all are worried abut miles. You will ride everyone of them. I’m thinking about beer per mile available.

Mike Howe, January 26, 2020 at 2:26 pm

I know this. If they already know the pass through towns then I wonder why they dont announce them until later? You could have 2 over night towns 15 miles apart but they could make the route between them an 80 miles if they wanted to. Thats why i was wondering how they already had the mileage calculated. Because you cant calculate it based on the distance between overnight towns and would need to be calculated based on what pass through towns we go through between overnight towns. Hope that made sense.

ESchiers, January 26, 2020 at 2:36 pm

I watched the announcement party online and it seemed awkward. The opening and timing of the event seemed “off”, the emcee failed to set the tone very well and speaker introductions were lacking. Almost no one on stage was aware of the camera locations and frequently turned their back to the crowd. Speaking of the crowd, were there fewer people in the crowd? It didn’t seem as loud and boisterous as in the past. If you attended the event, was this the “real” feel of the room?

Joseph Schlau, January 26, 2020 at 2:55 pm

Ragbrai already has a plan of where they want to go. The overnight towns actively bid to be included. The time between now and March is spent making sure the pass through towns are OK with it and prepared. Towns bid ahead of time to be included in the ride at some point but don’t necessarily know when that will happen. Ragbrai just does not want to announce they are coming through without making sure the town is prepared in the current year to handle the planning costs. They also have to make sure the roads they want to run on are up to standards for bikes. Also need to make sure the respective highway departments are good with the potential plan.

They can announce the climb and mileage with relative confidence because they have been doing this for so long and some sections have been used before.

it’s just that mystery of Ragbrai. By March you will be 99% sure of the route and towns in time to register.

Joseph Schlau, January 26, 2020 at 3:49 pm

Back in 2014 the route was published by Geobike. It had both a Google Earth and GPS download. This used to show up near March. Whatever the reason, the business relationship between Ragbrai and Geobike ended.

Last year People for Bikes provided the GPS links and the year before Ride with GPS provided these, but neither in March. It was more like July.

Last year alone there were 3 changes made from the March maps and the July maps/GPS downloads.

For riders who go from campground to campground, any changes go unnoticed unless you loaded up your GPS. For riders who use private housing off route, a change in road can change the directions given to other team members.

As for Ragbrai having overnight towns 15 miles apart and an 80 mile route, I have not seen this extreme. I have seen some long u shape loops which extended the course to go through a pass through town. I have also seen many riders just create their own shortcut off route. Something Ragbrai wants to avoid.

All the time spent making sure the Ragbrai route is in good condition also means other local roads are lower on the priority list.

hnschipper, January 26, 2020 at 4:13 pm

I watched the announcement party online and it seemed awkward. The opening and timing of the event seemed “off”, the emcee failed to set the tone very well and speaker introductions were lacking. Almost no one on stage was aware of the camera locations and frequently turned their back to the crowd. Speaking of the crowd, were there fewer people in the crowd? It didn’t seem as loud and boisterous as in the past. If you attended the event, was this the “real” feel of the room?

I agree with this. It was very painful to watch the live stream. It didn’t help any that the actual route announcement took place so much later than they said it would. We also noticed the lack of enthusiasm in the room and wondered if it was due to a lack of people or what. And the videos they showed to the audience in the room – surely they knew ahead of time those videos would be shown. Why was there such a lag getting the live stream switched over to them?

Tom Hotle, January 26, 2020 at 5:38 pm

Yea, I watched the announcement on line too, and agree it was awkward. Oh well, I’d much rather the RAGBRAI staff put their energy into planning the ride rather than producing an announcement show.

KenH, January 26, 2020 at 5:46 pm

I love the route. Of course I say that every year. There is no bad route through Iowa. The presentation last night was a little lacking compared to previous years. I don’t make anything of that other than with a lot of things to do in order to clean up the mess that TJ created and little time to do them in some things had to get all the attention that they needed but not necessarily all the attention they have received in recent years, or will receive in years to come. The RAGBRAI crew did fine last night.

I love that Ann Lawrie was recognized for her role as the woman who stood in the gap and held off the whole Persian army until help arrived. I love that the route is its own thing but close enough to the other route to enable people who want to do both. I look forward to learning to pronounce — and spell — Maquoketa, I can feel the heat of the sun, the wind at my back, I can taste the pie and church dinners and ice cream, I can see all your smiling faces and sweating bodies, I can picture it all already. It will be another grand ride across Iowa.

Joseph Schlau, January 26, 2020 at 6:26 pm

Maquoketa (/məˈkoʊkɪtə/)

Jennifer Turner, January 26, 2020 at 7:02 pm

There use to be a place with all the rides listed with elevation and mileage. Does anyone know where it can be found?

Joseph Schlau, January 26, 2020 at 7:55 pm

Under the rides section there is a section with past rides. Miles only, no elevation.

The site may have been the Geobikes site Ragbrai used to be associated with.

They had a lot of historical data as well as publishing gps and google earth uploads.

Viewing 14 replies - 16 through 29 (of 29 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Categories

Looking for RIDES

RAGBRAI XLVII – 2019

RAGBRAI XLVIII – 2020

RAGBRAI XLVI – 2018

Training

RAGBRAI XLV – 2017

RAGBRAI XLIV – 2016

Gatherings & Meetings

Lost and Found

Miscellaneous

RAGBRAI XLIII – 2015