Donate Registration Fees

Now that RAGBRAI 2020 is officially cancelled, I suggest we pressure RAGBRAI to publicly and transparently donate with audit the registration fees equally to Children’s Hospital and the 8 towns for all participants that volunteer to donate.

17 Replies

cheymtn70, April 19, 2020 at 8:54 am

I would suggest that RAGBRAI offer its registered riders the option of a complete refund or a donation to UIHC Children’s Hospital, overnight towns, or some other, well thought out choices. Many registrants (especially the younger ones) now find themselves unemployed or furloughed and need that money to make ends meet.

mootsman, April 19, 2020 at 9:58 am

Now that RAGBRAI 2020 is officially cancelled, I suggest we pressure RAGBRAI to publicly and transparently donate with audit the registration fees equally to Children’s Hospital and the 8 towns for all participants that volunteer to donate.

The announcement is not until Monday. Where did you see it’s cancelled?

cheymtn70, April 19, 2020 at 10:58 am

Mootsman-
Well, that’s interesting!! There was a forum started this morning entitled “I guess the cat’s out of the bag”. It referenced a YouTube video from Pork Belly with a message that “we’ll see you next summer”. There were comments wondering why PBV was preempting RAGBRAI’s announcement. That forum has now been deleted.

@Trykeman, April 19, 2020 at 11:00 am

I am more interested to see what will happen to my registration I paid to Bubba. His cancellation policy states No Exceptions. That is much more than I paid Ragbrai!

klkoopman, April 19, 2020 at 11:12 am

I would suggest that if anyone feels led to donate to the Children’s Hospital, they grab their checkbook, fill it out and put it in the mail. It’s easier to demand that someone else does, though.

The sad fact is that the RAGBRAI organization will probably be running in the red for at least a year just to meet their payroll. If it would help the organization to “keep” our fees, applying them to the 2021 ride, I’m all for that. I think a lot of people registered early in order to show support for a threatened RAGBRAI, I know I did.

Of all the accusations T.J. made last fall the most “successful” was this business that RAGBRAI was a charity. This detail was evidently kept a secret for 16 years because the director never, ever raised the issue. The claim is that he was muzzled by an evil corporation. Don’t confuse a “nonprofit” entity for a charity. A surprising number of corporations are non-profits.

RAGBRAI is under competent leadership and they will determine the financial formula which will preserve the organization. There is enough confidence in them that, I assume, we will all support that decision.

mootsman, April 19, 2020 at 2:01 pm

Donating fees is a personal decision, not one for RAGBRAI leadership to make on behalf of all riders. Some riders especially younger ones may be in difficult financial situations because of the shut downs and not in a position to donate. Or to even let the fees apply to next year if they were even planning on going then.

mootsman, April 19, 2020 at 2:18 pm

I am more interested to see what will happen to my registration I paid to Bubba. His cancellation policy states No Exceptions. That is much more than I paid Ragbrai!

That policy is if you cancel, not if RAGBRAI & Bubba cancel. I’d think Bubba would have to return most if not all the fees since very little in the way of expenses on Bubba’s end would still need to be spent. I know PBV’s default on cancelling is a 90% refund if cancelling by June 15th. So PBV people will get at least that much back. The same deal though, the rider is not cancelling, PBV is.

Same for RAGBRAI itself. If you cancel by 6/1 you get the full amount back minus a $25 fee. But since its RAGBRAI cancelling, they should return the entire amount

This reply was modified 6 months, 1 week ago by mootsman.

Sandaltan ., April 19, 2020 at 9:03 pm

“The sad fact is that the RAGBRAI organization will probably be running in the red for at least a year just to meet their payroll.”
I can’t imagine what demands are required of the RAGBRAI staff besides refunding registrations from now until the 2021 route is surveyed next winter, surveyed yet again that is. Amanda Parrott can handle the refunds. Anne Lawrie had extensive duties before RAGBRAI landed in her lap while Dieter Drake has many months to hopefully improve his contribution to the route announcement party that I saw this year. Just refund everyone’s money.

RIDE RIGHT

RIDE RIGHT

@Trykeman, April 20, 2020 at 12:40 pm

That policy is if you cancel, not if RAGBRAI & Bubba cancel. I’d think Bubba would have to return most if not all the fees since very little in the way of expenses on Bubba’s end would still need to be spent. I know PBV’s default on cancelling is a 90% refund if cancelling by June 15th. So PBV people will get at least that much back. The same deal though, the rider is not cancelling, PBV is.

FYI – Bubba offered 100% credit toward one of his future rides or standard cancel fee applies. Since I can’t commit to a future ride at this time Bubba is keeping $300.

ESchiers, April 20, 2020 at 1:05 pm

PBV is offering these options:
1–Keeping 10% on deposit for 2021, but refunding the other 90%
2–A 100% refund.
3–Keeping full payment to hold a spot with PBV for 2021 + a credit.

I’m thinking those are pretty good options. I also like Ragbrai’s cancel options too. It’s nice to know you are guaranteed to ride for 2021 if you don’t ask for a refund because next year will probably be crowded.

mootsman, April 20, 2020 at 2:32 pm

FYI – Bubba offered 100% credit toward one of his future rides or standard cancel fee applies. Since I can’t commit to a future ride at this time Bubba is keeping $300.

Bubba’s policy stinks. $300 for nothing. Maybe consider a different charter next year.

@Trykeman, April 20, 2020 at 2:45 pm

I had used Bubba twice before. Due to some medical issues this was probably going to be my last. It certainly will be my last with Bubba if I am fortunate enough to be able to ever ride again. Next year when people ask for Charter references I hope this info is given if I am not around to offer it!

jpclark7, April 20, 2020 at 3:19 pm

Curious, what is the deal with Bubba?

@Trykeman, April 20, 2020 at 3:56 pm

Bubba is offering 100% credit toward any of his future rides.
If you don’t take that, it is a $300 cancellation fee per his policy.

mootsman, April 20, 2020 at 4:18 pm

Next year when people ask for Charter references I hope this info is given if I am not around to offer it!

Best wishes for your health and your ability to do rides in the future. Both PBV and RAGBRAI mention they will look to put on rides this fall now that RAGBRAI is gone.

Viewing 15 replies - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Categories

Looking for RIDES

RAGBRAI XLVII – 2019

RAGBRAI XLVIII – 2020

RAGBRAI XLVI – 2018

Training

RAGBRAI XLV – 2017

RAGBRAI XLIV – 2016

Gatherings & Meetings

Lost and Found

Miscellaneous

RAGBRAI XLIII – 2015