PART OF THE USA TODAY NETWORK

Dream Ragbrai

Since the latest record breaking lottery winning, I have been fantasizing about how I would do Ragbrai differently had I won. The more I think about it there is little I would change. Maybe have my own jet to take me to the start town and pick me up at the end. Even that, though, I enjoy seeing the countryside as I drive out. I enjoy choosing my own campsite and pitching my tent. So, I can’t think of much I would change. Anybody care to share their perfect Ragbrai if money were no concern?

This topic was modified 10 months, 3 weeks ago by  LawnchairMan.

19 Replies

Niles, November 25, 2018 at 9:47 pm

I share your dream. Probably I won’t change anything I’m doing my RAGBRAI now. Maybe I’ll buy every round of beer for my team?

Larry Klaaren, November 26, 2018 at 10:19 am

There ya go Lawnchair Man. I’ll be looking to you to buy a round and have some pizza or tacos or whatever delivered in every night for all the Brancel riders. You could do a trial run on that next summer.

Amanda, November 26, 2018 at 1:05 pm

I would give our hosts money and more gifts to have us. I would hire a local and his/her vehicle to drive us to the downtown festivities and back. And I would pay for hotel rooms for the group to stay in in the last town. Otherwise, everything would be the same. Oh, and maybe massages for me and my fellow Black Fungus!

John Condon, December 1, 2018 at 10:09 am

I would welcome the return of Peanut Butter Jam and all off the music that we played in a farmers yard, while the parade passed by. I miss that.

Mary, December 1, 2018 at 6:54 pm

John Condon, I miss them too, I always stopped!

LawnchairMan, December 2, 2018 at 9:29 pm

John and Mary,

If you are saying that were you filthy rich, you would hire that band, then that would be cool. I hadn’t thought of music. I think I would hire professional musicians to do flash mobs at some of the pass through towns. My choice, though, would be big band or classical.

mootsman, December 3, 2018 at 8:54 am

A dream RAGBRAI is all about the weather to me. Each day would have a high of 75-80, no rain, low humidity and near zero wind. Not asking for a tail wind any of the days. And partly cloudy so the sun doesn’t bake me all day long but still plenty of blue sky. Wait a minute, we had this in 2009, so just like that.

W Fanning, December 4, 2018 at 6:41 am

Living in NC.. the logistics can be challenging.. sometimes I can not go to Iowa to do RAGBRAI.. so, if money wasn’t a issue.. Never miss another RAGBRAI.. I do enjoy the drive there, seeing the country side.. I would get to the start town a few days early.. and stay a few days in the end town.. buy a couple of rounds of beers at the craft tents.. buy lots of Pork Chops.. for my teammates… Iowa is a great place…

wrj, December 4, 2018 at 8:19 am

I would pay for an extra truck to carry the bikes fully assembled to the start town. Currently we have to box them up. Every time I disassemble and reassemble my bike I get a new scratch on the bike and one on me. Plus I never get it assembled quite the same way again. Beer and brats on me. I’d still sleep in the tent and stand in all the lines because that’s Ragbrai.

Corey Woodruff, December 6, 2018 at 7:25 am

I just want an RV with A/C and a shower. I’ll handle any route or weather the ride gives me, but I just want a good night’s sleep!

Dueywife, December 18, 2018 at 3:20 pm

Bring along some extra bikes to make the ride even better. I’d love to bring my mountain bike to enjoy the gravel route. I’d love to buy a tandem to enjoy for a day or 2. RV, shower, chef, and places pre-arranged to stay. That would be my dream RAGBRAI.

Randall Murphy, December 18, 2018 at 4:46 pm

I would bring a brand new E-BIKE! Just kidding…

W Fanning, December 18, 2018 at 5:51 pm

Randall Murphy… Trouble maker.. Ha Ha… It’s good to dream…

Randall Murphy, December 19, 2018 at 7:54 am

Yeah, sorry about that. In fourteen years of riding Ragbrai and reading this forum I’ve never seen as lively or polarizing discussion than the e-bike topic. Anyway, back to this thread…my ‘money or time is no object’ Ragbrai would come situated in the middle of a cross country ride. I’ve heard about a few people that have been able to do this and I think it would be awesome.

Gypsy Rose, December 19, 2018 at 7:57 am

Maybe it’s age, or the rose-colored glasses tinting the memories of the past, but I’d like to do a Retro RAGBRAI.

I fondly recollect the days when most folks on the ride stayed at the same campground, which wasn’t filled with cars, buses, trailers, RV’s, etc. We were either bagging it or using the DMR trucks. The lack of vehicles in the campground also gave it a more interactive, communal feel rather than the group clusters that form around support vehicles today.

We didn’t rely on technology to find our friends. The bulletin board was the first stop when rolling into an overnight town.

The vendors along the route were primarily local. (Most often they were local church groups or non-profits raising money for their cause.)

I still very much enjoy the RAGBRAI of today. But, if someone had asked me 40 years ago what I’d change, I’d probably say, “Not a thing.”

Cheers,
~ Kevin

Viewing 15 replies - 1 through 15 (of 19 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Categories

Looking for RIDES

RAGBRAI XLVII – 2019

RAGBRAI XLVI – 2018

Training

RAGBRAI XLV – 2017

RAGBRAI XLIV – 2016

Gatherings & Meetings

Lost and Found

Miscellaneous

RAGBRAI XLIII – 2015

RAGBRAI XLII – 2014