E-Bikers, A Few Etiquette Improvements

I was going up a hill with many other riders in the area. Passing some when I heard a woman on a 3 wheel trike yelling to move over to get past. So a bunch of us put in the extra effort to move out of the way only for her and her partner following her to come past using motorized ebikes (motors fully engaged). Maybe ebikers instead of demanding others get out of their way especially on extra wide 3 wheelers could just fit in while the rest of us under our own power make it up the hills. Instead of expecting us to put in extra effort to allow them to motor past us. I think there needs to be some rules of etiquette going forward for ebikers.

This was not a couple who had special needs for a motor assist. They just chose ebikes to make RAGBRAI easier for them

This topic was modified 4 months, 1 week ago by  mootsman.

67 Replies

Sexton, August 18, 2019 at 1:16 pm

I get what you’re saying. It doesn’t matter if a person is handicapped or not, using a mechanical advantage AND being rude and obnoxious is just wrong.

Cory Rood, August 18, 2019 at 4:45 pm

I get what you’re saying. It doesn’t matter if a person is handicapped or not, using a mechanical advantage AND being rude and obnoxious is just wrong.

fixed that for you

mootsman, August 19, 2019 at 8:51 am

My comparison wasn’t between e-bikes and self-powered riders for those riders that yell on your left (when they mean get out of my way). Not enough e-bikers (yet) for a comparison.

The comparison was between self-powered riders who politely wait and those that yell out. Since I ride with a mirror to monitor who is coming up behind me, I see how many times riders wait who don’t speak up. Usually I’m already waiting for the road to clear when others come up behind me. Only 1 incident this year, the couple on 3-wheel recumbents which are extra wide. But plenty of self-powered riders waiting in line with me not saying a thing.

The point is a rider etiquette guide would help e-bikers who purchased speed and didn’t learn etiquette along the way while training up to it.

mootsman, August 19, 2019 at 10:26 am

Left out in the above that the 3-wheel trikes were e-bikers with their motors fully engaged. And just that 1 incident where someone yelled out on your left.

This reply was modified 3 months, 3 weeks ago by  mootsman.

jpclark7, August 21, 2019 at 7:34 pm

I just can’t stop laughing at some woman YELLING at people to move over!!!

I must know… was her friend the only one on an e-bike, or was she also on an e-bike?

“MOVE OVER!”

mootsman, August 23, 2019 at 8:41 am

Both were on e-trikes, motors fully engaged. Get the impression in years past they had a few rude riders yell at them and now it was payback time. Or they just assumed it is normal to yell at people to move over rather understanding only a fraction of fast riders do that. And yes, she didn’t just quietly & politely say on your left, she was yelling it out.

jelly0317, August 23, 2019 at 8:56 am

Two people yelled at you in seven days, and you’ve been crying about it for a month. Get over it!

mootsman, August 23, 2019 at 12:17 pm

The only person complaining & crying here is you jelly. Saying an etiquette guide for e-bikers would be helpful for them, a good idea and not a complaint.

jelly0317, August 23, 2019 at 12:28 pm

You’ve been beating the same dead horse for over six months: you don’t think e-bikes belong on RAGBRAI. You’ve warned us that they’ll eventually number in the thousands, that their owners will “soup them up” to achieve greater speed, and that those same owners will overindulge at the craft beer stops, causing all manner of havoc. If all of that comes to pass, you’ll be hailed as the savior of RAGBRAI; until then, you come across as a major whiner.

Sexton, August 26, 2019 at 4:53 am

fixed that for you

If the problem of rude and obnoxious is to be addressed, what better place to start than a developing situation?

Will (Willard) Johnson, August 31, 2019 at 9:31 am

I ride 14mph pretty much the whole ride, faster than average, but not a left lane regular. As a middle right uphill grinder I will hold my line pass people to the right and be passed by left lane riders motors or not. I believe if you leave space to your left and hold your line there’s nothing to say or do but ride and be alert. Telling others to move aside when there is room is as uncalled for as jamming up the lanes. I guess we all have to remember to have fun.

mcpartla, December 4, 2019 at 4:04 pm

Most of the time “on your left” is a courtesy the same as anything else said to alert others “car up”, “car Back”,”slowing”, “stopping” etc. and most of the time I’m content to hold back because my intent is to arrive safe and whole at the end of each day. I ride an ebike because it’s fun and not to impress anyone else. I also look healthier than I am … but I have heart disease and lung diseases, an artificial left knee and prostate cancer and I’m senior who will keep bicycling as long as God gives me the green light.

mcpartla, December 5, 2019 at 6:02 am

Al

Are electric-assist bicycles “cheating”? Do we get the same exercise benefits? Why do you care if I can go faster than you?

https://www.radpowerbikes.com/blogs/the-scenic-route/e-bikes-are-cheating-no-not-really

Joseph Schlau, December 5, 2019 at 1:36 pm

Only 1 incident this year, the couple on 3-wheel recumbents which are extra wide. But plenty of self-powered riders waiting in line with me not saying a thing.

The point is a rider etiquette guide would help e-bikers who purchased speed and didn’t learn etiquette along the way while training up to it.

All this for 1 incident?

So who gets to write the rules. Someone who does not ride an e-bike?

Substitute tandem, or pace line for the word E-bike and you can have the same circumstances of alleged rude behavior.

If you look back for the past 2 years to the top 5 safety concerns on the Ragbrai rider surveys, e-bikes don’t even get a mention.

Non issue then and now.

I see this thread was started well before the attempted hijack of Ragbrai. I’m sure the new team has more important things to address than this. Actually I think they will welcome every rider. Even the e-bike trike gang as they terrorize northern Iowa like Marlon Brando in the Wild One.

Here we see a group shot by their team bus.

https://mobile.greatbigcanvas.com/view/marlon-brando-the-wild-one,2011018/?gclid=CjwKCAiA8qLvBRAbEiwAE_ZzPTY2zoggKNqpU9WNnFMXqja61PSAauitv20NYfN_lr8eFjIIBCrJLBoCexsQAvD_BwE

Jose Medina, December 5, 2019 at 4:41 pm

What ? No helmets ! I hope they are registered riders. Love the team bus !

Viewing 15 replies - 46 through 60 (of 67 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Categories

Looking for RIDES

RAGBRAI XLVII – 2019

RAGBRAI XLVIII – 2020

RAGBRAI XLVI – 2018

Training

RAGBRAI XLV – 2017

RAGBRAI XLIV – 2016

Gatherings & Meetings

Lost and Found

Miscellaneous

RAGBRAI XLIII – 2015