Easy vendor ID idea

I would rather spend my money locally on the ride. It’s the host towns that put up with the hordes and I would like to give back by buying my food and drink from town-associated vendors. But how to know which vendors are “local”?
Don’t get me wrong – I am still going to buy burritos from Jose’s Taco truck because they are world class good, but when I roll into a meeting town it would be awesome to know that something like “green flags” means “local”. The big guys will do fine on the overnight towns..I want my money to go where it’s needed and most deserved..the local organizations that did the heavy lifting for the day. Help me ID the local groups and I promise that is where I will be spending most of my $60 every day.

6 Replies

3 Pedal, August 5, 2019 at 9:18 am

I like this idea. I try to buy local when ever I can. Normally it turns out good, sometimes not, but either way, I support the local organizations that don’t get a chance to fundraiser like this often. It seemed harder to me this year to tell who the locals were in a lot of towns. Maybe some didn’t have any, I don’t know.

Make it easier to ID the locals, and I will always consider them before a multi day vendor.

Niles, August 5, 2019 at 10:25 am

Noble intention, bad idea.

If local vendors wants to advertise themself as local, it’s their right of freedom of expression. But setting a regulated identification?

Think an analogy, will segregated but equal a great social policy?

3 Pedal, August 5, 2019 at 11:00 am

I wouldn’t suggest RAGBRAI enforce it. I think it is an interesting idea for Towns or local vendors to consider.

Mike Howe, August 5, 2019 at 11:43 am

Good idea but i think its already easy to tell between a non local vendor and a school,church, local vendor, etc.

Sully, August 5, 2019 at 1:04 pm

Seriously, I don’t get how hard it is to get a BLT. They are easy to make and since Iowa is a bacon state, it should be plentiful. I know the Grilled Cheese stand came out with one for this year, and it was okay. I also remember one trailer about 4 years ago in Mt. Vernon that had all kinds of varieties which were awesome. I can’t be a target market of one on this one!

Tim TenClay, August 5, 2019 at 1:55 pm

I tried to eat lunch and dinner at local brick and mortar (non-chain) restaurants this year… it was great! The lines were rarely as long as the food trucks, it was cooler, the bathrooms were clean, the seats were comfortable….

If I ever do Ragbrai again (which, of course, I hope to!) that’s going to be go-to approach.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Categories

Looking for RIDES

RAGBRAI XLVII – 2019

RAGBRAI XLVIII – 2020

RAGBRAI XLVI – 2018

Training

RAGBRAI XLV – 2017

RAGBRAI XLIV – 2016

Gatherings & Meetings

Lost and Found

Miscellaneous

RAGBRAI XLIII – 2015