The Great Iowa Fall Ride registration is open!

Elevation chart

Did anyone notice that the elevation charts for the ride into and out of Emmetsburg are not a mirror image of each other even though the 20 miles into and out of town are the same? This is easy to see on the chart that shows the whole week. I wonder what is correct.

4 Replies

HelenP, June 28, 2022 at 2:36 am

I wondered about that, too. Maybe *hee, hee* we’re to go flying off a cliff in only one direction. . . AAAAaaa. . .! I just hope to be more like the Roadrunner than Wile E. Coyote at that! ;-)

LawnchairMan, June 28, 2022 at 6:55 am

Yeah, that does look odd, but there are possible mitigating factors.
First the scale from one map is twice that of the other. Day three’s map breaks a hundred feet into ten sections while Day four is in five sections. So the end of Day three looks more dramatic, but it’s only forty feet.
Secondly since we are dealing with small numbers, the stop or starting points in town may be different and make a difference.
Then barometric measurements could be off depending on atmospheric conditions of the day.
I have looked at the route using Google Map street view, and that whole section looks really flat. The century looks really flat. So I’m not worried about the elevation charts for days three and four. It does look funny though.

Rob Fuller, June 28, 2022 at 8:04 am

And, its all downhill from here!

cannontandem, July 1, 2022 at 8:52 am

I hope they improve their elevation numbers on the left side of their charts. On the overall chart they have 700 750 700 750 800 to start but it should be 600 650 700 750 800. they also skipped 1050 so all the ones above 1000 need to be moved up a line to add it in. On the first days chart we start out at a little under 1.1k so all the numbers need to be moved up 2 lines and the bottom is 1.0k. All the other charts start at the right elevation but are wacho after that. On all but the overall and last day charts they go up 20 feet per line or 5 lines per 100 feet. The other 2 go up 50 feet per line. I also noticed on the first days chart they show Anthon part way down the hill but in reality it is at the bottom. I used government topographical maps to check it out. I didn’t look at the other days.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Categories

RAGBRAI XLIX – 2022

RAGBRAI XLVIII – 2021

RAGBRAI XLVIII – 2020

Training

Gatherings & Meetings

Lost and Found

Miscellaneous

Clubs, Teams & Charters

Friends of RAGBRAI