RAGBRAI LI Route Announced on Jan. 27!

Enclosed Trailer storage tips.

I am using a 7′ X 12′ by 5’H enclosed trailer this year for a team of ten. I would enjoy seeing photos of other trailers to see the ways they stored and spaced space.

Any suggestions?

8 Replies

Anonymous, March 7, 2012 at 7:43 pm

You can install Yakima bike racks for the TOP of the trailer…or carry wheels up there..
It’s best to keep the gear under cover.
Stop by the bike shop and ask for some discarded new bike packing if you decide to stack bikes in the trailer. Bikes pack better with front wheels off
We used a 7′ X 14′ X 6′ horse trailer for 10 back when and it was big enough.
It had a gate door we used for a shower stall.

Bruce, March 7, 2012 at 9:39 pm

Thanks for the bike shop idea. That will help. I have fork locks to transport the bikes.

Looking for photos of loaded trailers for more ideas.

jwsknk, March 8, 2012 at 8:02 am

we take the pedals off to load bikes and put cardboard in between. 45-50 in a 24 ft Ryder truck plus coolers, chairs and some gear.

Sandaltan ., March 8, 2012 at 8:44 am

I have seen enclosed trailers with false floors. The bikes are on top of the false floor which is 18 inches above the trailer floor and all bags are stowed under the false floor. The bikes are stowed front to back, separated by cardboard with handlebars turned and pedals removed. Think can of sardines. Don’t forget to tighten your handlebars when you unload. I have seen some who did not.

RIDE RIGHT

Bruce, March 8, 2012 at 8:55 am

I walked past a trailer that had the bike deck setup. they had fork locks and alternated the direction of the bikes front to back. Six foot wide trailer had seven bikes on deck w/o removing pedals or loosen handlebars. Had five coolers stored underneath.

RonB, March 8, 2012 at 8:59 am

I don’t have any photos, but have seen a bunch of pictures of how the pros do it in their equipment trucks. They store the bikes vertically. They attach the fork locks/mounts on the side walls and hang the bikes from them. Don’t remember if the rear wheel is touching the floor or above it. I assume this would leave more floor space for bags, etc. Handlebars turned sideways or pedals off would allow tighter packing if space is critical.

RAGBRAI_Love, March 8, 2012 at 1:11 pm

Don’t let any recumbent riders go with you — That will save a ton of space.

jwsknk, March 8, 2012 at 2:43 pm

we hang some too by the wheels, 16, 2 rows of 8 across the truck, on the floor we can usually get 10 across. I know others have taken pictures of loading, I’m always in there tieing bikes together and to the sides of the trucks

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Categories

RAGBRAI L – 2023

RAGBRAI XLIX – 2022

RAGBRAI XLVIII – 2021

Training

Gatherings & Meetings

Lost and Found

Miscellaneous

Clubs, Teams & Charters

Friends of RAGBRAI