Join Us in July - Register Today!

Entertainment

I haven’t been on here lately so if this has been discussed, sorry. Looking over the entertainment for the overnight towns and I haven’t noticed any national acts. I have done Ragbrai eight times and I think this will be the first without a national act. I know we are going through small town but we have in the past as well and have had an act that was known nationally those years. Just wondering.

7 Replies

HillsAngels1, May 24, 2017 at 7:08 am

I don’t believe there where any “National Bands” last year.

KenH, May 24, 2017 at 7:18 am

I’ve never found any of the national acts at RAGBRAI compelling enough to make the small effort needed to give them a listen so I am not concerned. I’ve enjoyed many musical moments and experiences during my brief association with RAGBRAI and national fame was not required to make my joy complete! I don’t know that all the acts on tap for the week have been announced yet but I would suggest that you just enjoy what’s there, whether someone from LA or NYC has heard of them or not.

Plus, you just never know. I remember attending the Arcola Broom Corn Festival in central Illinois quite some years back. I’m not a country fan. Don’t hate it but don’t seek it out either. They had some country band playing on the stage in the center of town. I did not pay them much attention at first but after a while it became apparent that they were uncommonly good by any standards and certainly for the headliner act in a small town in the middle of nowhere. Eventually I was curious enough to ask a “townie” who that was. I’m not sure the first few we asked even knew but eventually someone was able to tell us it was Garth Brooks. Never heard of him. And at that point in time I think the majority of Americans would have said the same. That was, however, very nearly the last point in time when you could have said that. Within two weeks he was a national act known by everyone.

So, don’t be so quick to dismiss an act because you’ve never heard of it. Listen to each one for what it is. Some really excellent acts never make it big. Every once in a while you will have the opportunity to tune into one that few know about today but everyone will adore a short while from now. Most all the music I have ever heard in Iowa has been worth a listen for at least a short while.

jwsknk, May 24, 2017 at 7:49 am

Some regionally popular bands, Johnny Holm, Hairball and Nadas are on there. The Wailers (think the band Bob Marley was with)are headliners one night. All original members except Bob and another one who is dead.

Ken Reed, May 24, 2017 at 7:59 am

We had a national act last year with Rick Springfield. If you want to qualify him as a national act. RAGBRAI doesn’t need national acts to be great. They are just added perks. I will say that Hairball (last year) was the best time I’ve had at a RAGBRAI concert.

igor, May 24, 2017 at 8:21 am

I’m looking forward to Cowboy Mouth. They put on a good live show. Good story Ken!

Jared, May 24, 2017 at 11:44 am

maybe not just national, but international like the Wailers.. watch the video and you will see they are no wedding band,,, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nx8LYGtQdDs
Cowboy Mouth is a national act that tours the world via New Orleans

Mike Murphy, May 24, 2017 at 11:01 pm

I understand that the regional bands are great. I just found it interesting that no national bands this year. I will enjoy the acts the towns have just noticed the change.

The forum ‘RAGBRAI XLV – 2017’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Categories

RAGBRAI L – 2023

RAGBRAI XLIX – 2022

RAGBRAI XLVIII – 2021

Training

Gatherings & Meetings

Lost and Found

Miscellaneous

Clubs, Teams & Charters