Exit Strategy for Day 7

I am trying to fly home after the ride out of Moline airport (MLI) back to CA on Saturday evening. Anyone else having trouble getting a late enough flight Saturday afternoon/evening with enough time to ride 69 miles/find luggage/drop my bike off to get boxed and shipped/get shuttle to airport – and still make the flight? I’ve probably just answered my own question, but wondering if anyone else makes that work. I guess otherwise I stay overnight and get and early flight out Sunday. This is my first year flying – in past I could drive and I had a lot of flexibility. Do you other flyers leave Sat evening or Sunday morning?

5 Replies

dxnvy, June 10, 2018 at 4:17 pm

We ALWAYS suggest our guests to fly out of MLI on Sunday after RAGBRAI

Scott Skaja, June 10, 2018 at 5:45 pm

I recommend you stay overnight and fly home Sunday early. I flew home the last day of Ride the Rockies after riding 70 miles in the mountains, packing my bike up in the rain, and getting a shuttle to DIA. It was not very enjoyable and made for a sad way to end a beautiful ride.

Mike Howe, June 10, 2018 at 6:44 pm

Im trying to get to the Moline airport as well, but to pick up a rental car. Was thinking about getting a hotel somewhere near davenport instead and getting a car sunday.

T. Gap Woo, June 11, 2018 at 8:00 am

No matter where the ride ends, Mrs Woo and I get a motel room in the Quad Cities area for that Saturday. After a week of pedaling and, for Mrs Woo, of driving the support car, we both need an overnight cool-down period and a good night’s sleep. Besides, I-80 in the Davenport area is our exit point as we begin our 1300 mile eastbound trip home.

I concur with the earlier recommendations to leave on Sunday. Get a flight that is convenient for you and gives you a chance to relax and unwind. Spare yourself the anxiety that comes with rushing to return. Enjoy the last bit of Iowa bliss!

See you along the I-O-Way in July.

Mark Keele, June 11, 2018 at 9:51 am

It’s 70 miles and if a person is the road by 7AM and a keeping a moderate pace it would put them downtown Davenport before noon easy. Heartland Express baggage truck should have already unloaded by then. QC Moline airport is close, maybe 10-12 miles tops and has efficient check in & screening. Even if you add several hours for stopping and the unexpected you could easily be to the airport before 5PM. None of this factors in your boxing needs of course.

Note, Bix will be also be Sunday morning but mostly wrapped up gone before the majority of RAGBRAI rolls in.

The forum ‘RAGBRAI XLVI – 2018’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Categories

RAGBRAI XLVIII – 2021

RAGBRAI XLVIII – 2020

Training

Gatherings & Meetings

Lost and Found

Miscellaneous

Clubs, Teams & Charters

Friends of RAGBRAI