RAGBRAI LI Route Announced on Jan. 27!

Eyewear if it rains?

Are there special goggles or glasses in case we have to ride in the rain for extended periods?

19 Replies

Thoreau, July 17, 2011 at 7:30 pm

Thanks for the advice on this thread–and I just picked up a cap to wear under my helmet in case of rain ($13).  

There are no sunglasses for me.  When I turned 30, I came to the realization that I am too absent minded to manage   sunglasses.  I figure I have saved hundreds of dollars over the last few decades not losing or not crushing my latest pair. 

David Elkow, July 17, 2011 at 9:00 pm

Last year, on the rainy day after Waterloo, I was riding with my regular prescription glasses instead of my sunglasses.  My regular glasses do not provide coverage like my riding sunglasses.

Before I even made it to a breakfast stop I caught a bit of road grit in my right eye from tire spray off a bicycle in front of me.  I’ll tell you, it almost put an end to my day.  After much discomfort and nearly blind riding, and a scratched cornea, I managed to flush the grit from my eye with a strong blast from my water bottle.  I had the eye looked at by a first aid worker to make sure all was OK.

I would not ride in the rain, with a road full of bicycles, without adequate eye protection.

kenimus, July 17, 2011 at 11:18 pm

i got a cheap pair of yellow lens igogs at the corner store and wow do they turn over cast n rainy in to awesome. they fit under my helmet but bow out enough to not to rub on my eyelashes. the down side is i kinda look like an insect.

Viewing 3 replies - 16 through 18 (of 18 total)

The forum ‘RAGBRAI XXXIX – 2011’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Categories

RAGBRAI L – 2023

RAGBRAI XLIX – 2022

RAGBRAI XLVIII – 2021

Training

Gatherings & Meetings

Lost and Found

Miscellaneous

Clubs, Teams & Charters

Friends of RAGBRAI