Fasting_Cardio

I started this late this season (June or so), shead pounds pretty quickly, but now my range has dropped to around 30 miles, vice 40 when I eat breakfast.

I’m thinking this is for weekend warriors, drive to the gym types, and the lot … but not for endurance athletes.

Whatya all ya’ll think?

6 Replies

gregonline, October 9, 2011 at 2:10 pm

What the H*ll you talking about????

imarunner2, October 10, 2011 at 6:47 am

Really? How about giving us at least one coherent sentence?

Sandaltan ., October 10, 2011 at 8:17 am

My understanding is that fasting – cardio is simply exercising before breakfast in the morning.  The theory is that the fasting body will burn more fat given the same amount of exercise.

RIDE RIGHT

jwsknk, October 10, 2011 at 9:07 am

so does this mean fasting/cardio might be better for those going to the gym for an hour, but longer types of exercise, like long distance on a bike, you bonk after 30 miles? and if you eat something before heading out you can go 40 before needing to eat again?

Browner, October 10, 2011 at 12:31 pm

ST is exactly right on this one.  The key is that it is only for Aerobic workouts for less than an hour.  If your pushing hard an go into your Anaerobic zone, you burn through your glycogen stores and bonk.  You may want to take something with you and eat at the 15 mile mark.  That way you have a quick source of sugar that your body can use.

I’m not a dietician or trainer, but have done Atkins and low carb, and have lost weight.  What works best for me is 6 or 7 small, low carb meals and snacks during the day.  That way your body does not go into “starvation mode” and start storing every spare calorie it can.  On days that I ride, I do bring food with me that is a little higher in carbs, mostly fruit, to eat on the ride to give me a sugar boost if I need it.

ts, October 11, 2011 at 10:36 am

pHIlo said: I started this late this season (June or so), shead pounds pretty quickly, but now my range has dropped to around 30 miles, vice 40 when I eat breakfast.

I’m thinking this is for weekend warriors, drive to the gym types, and the lot … but not for endurance athletes.

Whatya all ya’ll think?

On the contrary, I think it is expressly for endurance athletes.  A friend of mine who is an elite level triathlete does an occasional long workout before breakfast.  He claims that it trains your body to mobilize fat more readily.  The theory is that in a longer event like an ironman, you use up all of your glycogen stores way before the end of the event and your body has to switch to fat metabolism to sustain the energy output.  He says that he has to scale back on intensity on these “fasting” workouts, though.  It’s not a strategy for weight loss, but mainly for increased performance in the last stages of a long event.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Categories

RAGBRAI XLVIII – 2021

RAGBRAI XLVIII – 2020

Training

Gatherings & Meetings

Lost and Found

Miscellaneous

Clubs, Teams & Charters

Friends of RAGBRAI