PART OF THE USA TODAY NETWORK

Fiasco in Sigourney

The traffic jam in Sigourney was stupid. Shower trucks, shuttles, and route-in were all on the same road. Why? It made no sense. The shuttle couldn’t move due to the shower trucks taking two fifths the road, cyclists were streaming in, and a car trying to go the opposite way. I finally got out and walked to town.
It would have made more sense to have had the cycle route-in keep going South until we got to 92 instead of the turn at the John Deere plant. It also seems like they could have put the shower trucks off the road.

On the bright side, that was a minor inconvenience for such a great rest of the week.

This topic was modified 1 year, 2 months ago by  LawnchairMan.

6 Replies

jake d, July 31, 2018 at 8:50 pm

For us the fiasco in Sigourney was the Kybo situation. We were fortunate our group was assigned to the park/swimming pool a few blocks west of the square. My sympathies go out to all those stuck out in the back forty, ( Expo Grounds ). However for a camp of 1200-1500 riders we had a mere ten Kybos.

Meanwhile down on the square there was close to 100 Kybos, actual count not approx., many of which saw little or no use the night before. The following morning our line was 40+ people deep at 6:30.

This is a constant problem year after year, and whenever you talk to a city official, in Sigourney by chance it was the chief of police, they all say they are following RAGBRAI guidelines.

Come on TJ, this has gone on too long and needs to be addressed. If you think we’re just whining, try getting up tomorrow, walk four blocks, then stand outside your bathroom for 30 min..

hnschipper, July 31, 2018 at 8:57 pm

I asked Sigourney prior to RAGBRAI if they would have a designated quiet campground. The answer was Legion Park (where the pool was located.) Interestingly enough, it was not designated as a quiet campground on the map. When we arrived, it was very clear it was in no way a quiet campground. Fortunately, those camping close to us were very quiet and went to bed early. I have no idea why Sigourney would tell me that was a designated quiet campground when it clearly wasn’t.

We were camped all the way in the back of the park, and the only kybos (that we found anyway) were clear up at the entrance.

turtlePacker, August 2, 2018 at 12:55 pm

We drove into Sigourney in the late morning, looking for a campsite for our little team of 4. We went to the fairgrounds first, only to find all the flat ground already occupied by RVs and the kybos few and far between. Then we went to the high school and found heaven: sheltered, quiet spot just a few feet from the entrance to the school, which stayed open all night and fed us delicious tacos for $5 all you can eat. I imagine the Sigourney experience was either the best or the worst, depending where you were. We were lucky to get the best.

Thoreau, August 3, 2018 at 2:08 pm

I loved Sigourney. Why is there so much complaining on the forum this year? Is this just the culture of complaint of the Internet in general shifting over to the Ragbrai forum? Nothing is perfect. You just look for the good in each town. At least, that’s my approach in Ragbrai and, with luck, in my life.

coloradoshortbus, August 7, 2018 at 10:09 am

Thoreau, some people are more self centered than the rest of us. They want what they want, and right now. Ignore them and find the best in all of RAGBRAI. It’s all about the journey.

Chris Miller, August 7, 2018 at 10:58 am

I loved Sigourney….a very small town doing an especially able job of handling the RAGBRAI horde.
I encountered helpful and friendly people doing their best to make 15-20,000 people feel welcome.
We should just be thankful Iowa’s small towns open up their streets and doors to RAGBRAI.
It takes a lot of volunteer effort for which we should simply be respectful and grateful. Without them we don’t have RAGBRAI.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Categories

Looking for RIDES

RAGBRAI XLVII – 2019

RAGBRAI XLVI – 2018

Training

RAGBRAI XLV – 2017

RAGBRAI XLIV – 2016

Gatherings & Meetings

Lost and Found

Miscellaneous

RAGBRAI XLIII – 2015

RAGBRAI XLII – 2014