Final Route Predictions

We are counting down the days to the RAGBRAI announcement party. Time to prognosticate. What towns do you all think we are going to in July?

48 Replies

Patrick Allgood, January 17, 2020 at 10:55 am

Sioux Center
Cherokee
Lake View
Webster City
Marshalltown
Waterloo
Manchester
Dubuque

KenH, January 17, 2020 at 3:46 pm

No thought went into this, just picked a starting town and built a route step by step. It is northish to keep with tradition but the question is, how traditional is Dieter??

Le Mars
Cherokee
Pocahontas
Webster City
Hampton
Waterloo
Monticello
Bellevue

I think most years I get zero correct. Last year I got the first two — and then none of the rest!

Good guessing everyone, we’ll know in a week.

T. Gap Woo, January 18, 2020 at 4:52 pm

Let me play “devils advocate” here.

If DMR really wanted to stick the shiv into TJ’s ride, they’d pick starting and ending towns just far enough apart from TJ’s ride to be inconvenient enough to dissuade riders who are on the fence over which ride to choose. A vindictive route would be:

Missouri Valley
Clarinda
Osceola
Pella
Washington
Muscatine
Tipton
LeClaire

I believe that Dieter, personally, will rise above the pettiness and vindictiveness, but the corporate powers-that-be may not be so kind and charitable.

I would not be upset with a LeMars start. Mrs Woo and I would spend lots of time at the Blue Bunny ice cream parlor, where we’ve sampled just about all of their ice cream flavors. Nor would I be upset with a Clinton finish. The Wide River winery has superb weekend entertainment and delicious wines. It’s a win-win proposition from start-to-finish.

Of course, my record of predictions has been abysmal. None of my crystals have worked. I gave up on my Magic 8 Ball years ago. Perhaps I’ll read the sediments at the bottom of a wine glass. Can’t hurt!

See you along the I-O-Way in July.

Jose Medina, January 18, 2020 at 6:41 pm

Ok , in these forums , one thing I would like to see is where riders are from that contribute to the thread. Just curious. We welcome all participation. Here in Iowa we are under blizzard conditions with below zero , 50 mile an hour winds. I can’t wait till riders are complaining about the heat. In 6 more months we will have near 100 degree weather , unbelievable. Bring it on. I have been in 30 Ragbrais and you will not hear me complain of the heat. I live in Ankeny, Iowa. I went outside and could not hardly stand up.

This reply was modified 8 months, 1 week ago by Jose Medina.

Jboz, January 19, 2020 at 7:58 am

T. Gap – interesting line of thought. The 180 degree pivot by IR really opened up some interesting options for riders, but at the same time interjected some strategy that Dieter will need to sort through. The closer he picks start/finish towns to IR, the more registrations both rides will likely get. If he goes the other way, it would probably hurt IR but it could hurt RAGBRAI’s numbers as well. So, grudging cooperation (or co-opetion if you like corporate buzzwords), would likely benefit the registration numbers for both rides.

Going for the jugular on the other hand has some risk. It would exacerbate the schism, which would force the growing community of 2-week riders to pick a side. This would hurt the registration numbers for both rides. The gamble is whether or not that would hasten the demise of IR. Either way, the ball is in Dieter’s court.

I’m really trying not to take a “Dieter vs TJ” side here because I don’t know either man personally. Thus, I haven’t been processing anything that transpired as some kind of affront to me. I tend to see it as just typical yin/yang stuff that has been part of the human experience since Adam bit the apple. So trying to remain as objective and pragmatic as possible here, the only side I’m really on is the hope that all the animosity can give way and both rides will eventually cooperate to align their routes in a way that provides some great options for their customers – the riders.

klkoopman, January 19, 2020 at 10:43 am

No matter what the route is, we ALL need to lobby for Lytton, Iowa (pop. 305) to be on the route as a pass-through town. In 47 years these folks have never participated in RAGBRAI and they want to! They have created a Facebook page named “Let’s put Lytton on the RAGBRAI map”. They posted several photos of them delivering and feeding Anne and Dieter samples of their homemade pie which provoked Anne to post photos and tweet “Lytton Pie is delicious!”. Lytton has thrown the gauntlet down proclaiming that, if selected, they will sell the tastiest pie of the 2020 ride. I admire their self confidence and determination, this is a cause we can all get behind.

Amanda, January 19, 2020 at 6:49 pm

My guess:
LeMars
Cherokee
Estherville
Algona
Mason City
Marion
Dyersville
Dubuque

By this time next week, we will know the route and our guessing fun will be over!

Scott Matter, January 20, 2020 at 6:22 am

2020 Route Prediction
LeMars
Ida Grove
**Lytton, home to Iowa’s best pies, would make an excellent pass-through town here
Carroll
Perry
Marshalltown
Marion
Maquoketa
Clinton

Scott Matter, January 20, 2020 at 12:04 pm

Thanks so much for the supportive comments. Let’s Put Lytton on the RAGBRAI Map!!

T. Gap Woo, January 20, 2020 at 2:34 pm

If there is a town called Bulwer IA, don’t put it on the same route as Lytton. You’d be inviting ………

“A dark and stormy night!” 🤪 (with apologies to Edward and Snoopy).

KenH, January 22, 2020 at 11:10 am

I’d be happy to eat a pie in Lytton. I do believe the die has been cast however and it is too late to lobby on their behalf. They either are or are not close enough to the route to be a possibility this year. Of course if they are close and the full details of the route are not set in stone yet then lobbying is in order. We shall see next Saturday….

Have I used enough cliches to win Bulwer-Lytton. Had to look that one up even though all English speakers quote him frequently without realizing it!

Ken Reed, January 22, 2020 at 11:59 am

Lytton has had a Facebook page in support of them being a pass through town for quite a while. I think there’s a very good chance they will get to be on the route.

Larry Klaaren, January 22, 2020 at 12:46 pm

Well, since it came up . . .
From Wikipedia: Lytton is a city in Sac County and has grown into Calhoun County in the U.S. state of Iowa. … Lytton was named for the English author Edward Bulwer-Lytton.

genefruit, January 22, 2020 at 1:19 pm

So many good answers and places to think about has caused me to revise to:
Le Mars
Storm Lake
Fort Dodge
Iowa Falls
Mason City
West Union
Manchester
Dubuque

https://ridewithgps.com/routes/31552349

klkoopman, January 22, 2020 at 5:54 pm

After the events of the past three months there is no way in H-E-double toothpick that this year’s ride will end in Dubuque. Clinton’s a fine town.

Demand better pie, Lobby for Lytton, IA!

Viewing 15 replies - 16 through 30 (of 48 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Categories

Looking for RIDES

RAGBRAI XLVII – 2019

RAGBRAI XLVIII – 2020

RAGBRAI XLVI – 2018

Training

RAGBRAI XLV – 2017

RAGBRAI XLIV – 2016

Gatherings & Meetings

Lost and Found

Miscellaneous

RAGBRAI XLIII – 2015