Final Route Predictions

We are counting down the days to the RAGBRAI announcement party. Time to prognosticate. What towns do you all think we are going to in July?

48 Replies

reedkennethia, January 23, 2020 at 7:40 am

After the events of the past three months there is no way in H-E-double toothpick that this year’s ride will end in Dubuque. Clinton’s a fine town.

Demand better pie, Lobby for Lytton, IA!

I tend to agree. I feel the end town will be anywhere BUT Dubuque up in that area. Bellevue, Camanche, Clinton. Hell, even Sabula is a possibility, although doubtful due to the highway situation.

KenH, January 23, 2020 at 8:20 am

there is no way in H-E-double toothpick

Oooo, a slight breech of protocol there, I’m afraid. Iowa being Radar’s home state that should be H-E-double hockey sticks!

stuckinmizzou, January 23, 2020 at 9:01 am

Lemars
Spencer
Algona
Eagle Grove (PLEASE!!)
Grundy Center
Independence
Anamosa
Clinton

Blake Bohanan, January 23, 2020 at 9:46 am

Bragging Rights Only Friends… Keeping it close to I-80
Missouri Valley
Atlantic
Perry
Des Moines (quick stop by The Register)
Grinnell
Oskaloosa
Washington
Muscatine

klkoopman, January 23, 2020 at 10:11 am

2020 Prediction, bragging rights but I do expect a T-shirt:

Missouri Valley
Harlan
Jefferson
Ankeny
Tama-Toledo
North Liberty
Maquoketa
Clinton

In my one concession to the past several month’s shenanigans, riders who wish to end in Dubuque could ride north from Maquoketa on Saturday morning. See, I’m keeping an open mind!

Brady Bisgard, January 23, 2020 at 10:34 am

I am extremely confident it is going to go through Des Moines. It has been quite a few years since it has. It would be a great way to get Des Moines bike clubs to ride at least a day after the last year of turmoil. I believe they are debuting the RAGBRAI statue in Waterworks Park this summer. And on Dieter’s “hint” Facebook post they had a picture of the capital.

I would bet it is going to go through DM.

klkoopman, January 23, 2020 at 10:52 am

I am extremely confident it is going to go through Des Moines. It has been quite a few years since it has.

I think you’re right except I’d predict they are saving Des Moines for the 50th anniversary year. Just think how cool it would be to camp on the grounds of the State Capitol? That takes some serious planning, though. To travel into the city you’d need to contend with 40-50 urban intersections unless there are rails-to-trails routes into downtown.

reedkennethia, January 23, 2020 at 11:05 am

I am extremely confident it is going to go through Des Moines. And on Dieter’s “hint” Facebook post they had a picture of the capital.

I would bet it is going to go through DM.

Yeah, I think he was just trying to be funny on his Facebook post. I would guarantee a DSM stop in a couple years. However, I did hear a rumor about Fort Dodge though.

This reply was modified 3 weeks, 4 days ago by reedkennethia.

gbtrektn, January 24, 2020 at 7:58 am

Sioux City, Ida Grove, Lake City, Webster City, Cedar Falls, Cedar Rapids, Coralville, Muscatine

I’ll except my prize at the Iowa Craft Beer Tent

Larry Klaaren, January 24, 2020 at 9:19 am

There could be something to the thought about going through Des Moines and unveiling or dedicating that statue on the RAGBRAI route. If they do that, that might be a short mileage day. It would boost the finances of RAGBRAI also, as that could be a big numbers day. Someone pledged a big donation from them.
My thought is that with a new director, some of the predictability of the previous staff will be disrupted.

jelly0317, January 24, 2020 at 11:05 am

Please cite the source of your assertion that the Karras/Kaul statue will be dedicated this summer. The most recent information I have found is that the planners hope to have it ready in 2022.

reedkennethia, January 24, 2020 at 11:44 am

Please cite the source of your assertion that the Karras/Kaul statue will be dedicated this summer. The most recent information I have found is that the planners hope to have it ready in 2022.

At 10:30 Saturday morning (tomorrow) at the Bike Expo, they are going to do the statue reveal. I had heard that only John Karras’ portion had been completed and he would be there to see it. I had heard they still need another $15K to complete it.

hopalongatc, January 24, 2020 at 6:24 pm

I’m thinking it is going to come through Storm Lake this year! It has been through here in 2010 & 2015 so I’m going to guess Storm Lake will be the Sunday night stop for the 2020, five year plan? After the last stay, I heard so many good things about the stop. Does anyone have any feedback on SL? I ride with Adaptive Sports Iowa so don’t have to worry about where I stay every night but did hear the stay by the lake was good, until the early morning storm. (Hence the “Storm Lake” town name?)

Think it is time for a northern route again! Maybe the Lemars start? What’s everyone think????

David Eaves, January 24, 2020 at 6:38 pm

My one and only RAGBRAI was 2010. Storm Lake was great. May have been my favorite overnight town of the ride. Hoping to ride this year. I would love it if Storm Lake was an overnight town again.

Jose Medina, January 24, 2020 at 7:55 pm

I will tell you that I have been in 30 consecutive Ragbrai’s and talking to many riders thru the years, Clear Lake is by far the best overnight stop in Iowa . It is the perfect all around accessible town. Downtown is right by the beach and lake. Restaurants and a beautiful downtown. There is a water feature to cool down in at the beach. There is Lady of the Lake paddle wheeler to take a tour of the lake. On the south side of the lake there is an outside Tiki Bar,music and they will boat you to it from the north side. And of coarse the Surf Ballroom , Buddy Holly’s last performance before the plane crash. American Pie song. And most important , this is where I met my wife 21 years ago when I asked Donna to dance and she was not even a rider. Best years of my life. She is not a long distance rider but will come out to meet me a few days during Ragbrai and we will go out to dinner and dance. Listen to this , she buys love cards for me to open every night on Ragbrai for encouragement. This is what Ragbrai is all about.

Viewing 15 replies - 31 through 45 (of 48 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Categories

Looking for RIDES

RAGBRAI XLVII – 2019

RAGBRAI XLVIII – 2020

RAGBRAI XLVI – 2018

Training

RAGBRAI XLV – 2017

RAGBRAI XLIV – 2016

Gatherings & Meetings

Lost and Found

Miscellaneous

RAGBRAI XLIII – 2015