Join Us in July - Register Today!

First Timer Questions

1) What time is suggested to arrive in Glenwood on Saturday, July 23rd?

2) My boyfriend and I are doing this as a two person team and first timers. Do you recommend charter services for our bags or carrying them with us?

3) What is the best process for retrieving bags from charter services and showering?

13 Replies

AnnG, April 22, 2011 at 8:16 pm

1.  You will find that people will arrive all day long.  Our group usually gets there late afternoon, but there is no right time.  Just get there in time that you can set up your tent in daylight, and do anything else you need to do in daylight.
2.  People do RAGBRAI all kinds of ways.  A few carry their bags with them on their bikes.  I admire these riders, but I could never do it.  It’s enough of an accomplishment for me to just get myself across the state of Iowa, let alone carry a tent and bags along with me.  There are links for charters, some put their stuff on the DM Register truck, and some have a friend drive a support vehicle.  Take your pick.  I like the charter service or team approach, but others are fine with the DMR truck.
3. In our group we get our stuff off of the team bus, set up our own tent, and put our stuff back in the morning, so everyone sets up a tent within a reasonable distance of the bus.  If you’re lucky the showers will be nearby.  If you’re not, you’ll have to walk some distance to get there.  You will usually have to wait in line for a shower.  Usually a shower is about $5 at a nearby school (where sometimes they ran out of hot water just before you got there), or at a trailer set up for showers, where mysteriously the hot water supply never ends.  You can bring your own towel or rent one of theirs for $1.  Forget about privacy in the shower area, but nobody is going to care what you look like. 

Thoreau, April 23, 2011 at 10:44 am

Thanks for posting this–there is so much to figure out–and since my friends and I are from California, we don’t have contact with Ragbrai veterans. 

By the way, should we be worried about the lottery?  I hear there is a way to purchase a week pass later, but I worry there will be a flurry of deals and I won’t have the skill to figure out this secondary market.

Michrider !!!, April 23, 2011 at 12:15 pm

Thoreau said: Thanks for posting this–there is so much to figure out–and since my friends and I are from California, we don’t have contact with Ragbrai veterans. 

By the way, should we be worried about the lottery?  I hear there is a way to purchase a week pass later, but I worry there will be a flurry of deals and I won’t have the skill to figure out this secondary market.

Do not worry about the lottery. Afterwards, there will be people posting on the forum trying to sell week long tickets.  You’ll be able to do the ride!

knees36, April 23, 2011 at 2:04 pm

Michrider said:

Thoreau said: Thanks for posting this–there is so much to figure out–and since my friends and I are from California, we don’t have contact with Ragbrai veterans.  By the way, should we be worried about the lottery?  I hear there is a way to purchase a week pass later, but I worry there will be a flurry of deals and I won’t have the skill to figure out this secondary market.

Do not worry about the lottery. Afterwards, there will be people posting on the forum trying to sell week long tickets.  You’ll be able to do the ride!

We will all know sometime on Friday, May 1st.  Good luck and see ya’ on the road.  Keep those knees a’churnin’.  Cheers.

Michrider !!!, April 23, 2011 at 2:17 pm

knees36 said:

Michrider said:

Thoreau said: Thanks for posting this–there is so much to figure out–and since my friends and I are from California, we don’t have contact with Ragbrai veterans.  By the way, should we be worried about the lottery?  I hear there is a way to purchase a week pass later, but I worry there will be a flurry of deals and I won’t have the skill to figure out this secondary market.

We will all know sometime on Friday, May 1st.  Good luck and see ya’ on the road.  Keep those knees a’churnin’.  Cheers.

See yall on the curbs!

Thoreau, April 24, 2011 at 8:30 am

Thanks.  Was on the road for 2.5 hours yesterday–riding north along the Pacific Ocean on the Great Highway into strong headwinds should give me some practice for Iowa.  The only problem with SF riding is that is it hard to find long straight roads to get in any rhythm. There’s a lot of stop and go and big hills.  On the other hand, there’s views of the ocean. 

Pirate Brewer, April 24, 2011 at 6:57 pm

Given the number of people on this ride, don’t plan on maintaining a rhythm.  Go with the flow, be safe, be kind to others, and enjoy the journey.

d11s11m, April 26, 2011 at 4:05 pm

$$$

How much is a reasonable amount to carry? Are there ATM’s in many of these small towns?

Dave Merriman, April 26, 2011 at 4:16 pm

d11s11m said: $$$

How much is a reasonable amount to carry? Are there ATM’s in many of these small towns?

You know, I just carried about $300 in 20’s and had money left at the end.  There are ATM’s; I’m just too cheap to pay the fees.  Cash is just easier for me.

Sandaltan ., April 26, 2011 at 7:36 pm

Cash and carry works best for me.  There are ATMs which are occasionally drained dry and there are ATMs with sizable lines of riders waiting their turn.

RIDE RIGHT

SFC JKL 2, April 26, 2011 at 7:46 pm

I take alot of cash then leave most of it in the bag.  I just reload the billfold every night (so all I have to remember in the morning is to get dressed).  Drinking gets expensive and I eat alot.  Normally I try to stay under $50 a day on the road.

Pirate Brewer, April 26, 2011 at 9:50 pm

I generally carry about $30 for the day’s ride and have money left over.  The rest is somewhere else.  Then I’ll use a little more for the evening.  For me, I’ll end up spending about $600 for the week and that includes beer, tipping the support team at the end of the week, and other purchases such as tee shirts or beer glasses.  Some spend more, some spend less.  I have a bank card in case of unexpected expenses (last year i needed two bike repairs that totaled about $75).

Michrider !!!, April 27, 2011 at 4:49 am

I don’t keep track of how much I spend, that might spoil my fun!

The forum ‘RAGBRAI XXXIX – 2011’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Categories

RAGBRAI L – 2023

RAGBRAI XLIX – 2022

RAGBRAI XLVIII – 2021

Training

Gatherings & Meetings

Lost and Found

Miscellaneous

Clubs, Teams & Charters