RAGBRAI LI Day Passes are still available!

First Timer, Rules Clarification, etc.

Hi all! So excited for my first RAGBRAI (pending Lottery of course)!

Here are two quick questions that came to mind:

– I saw in the rules that it says no drafting… Does that mean that we are not allowed to draft with friends or anyone else if we agree to share pulls? Seems like a very wierd rule. I can see not drafting a stranger of course….

– I know this is not a race, but are there any kinds of prizes or friend;y competitions that are encountered along the way?

Looking forward to meeting some of you in July!

21 Replies

jwsknk, March 28, 2012 at 10:02 am

as far as drafting, lots of people do it, many that have no business right there in the middle of it. With 10-15,000 people on the road it can be shoulder to shoulder with someone going 12 mph passing a 10 mph rider riding side by side with their bud. While on the left of center a 15 mph person is passing and on their left a little faster person is trying to pass. Then along somes a double paceline of 20 people expecting everyone to get the heck out of their way so they don’t have to slow. Oh yeah, then there is a car up and another on a half mile back. Also, I should mention somewhere in that cluster, is a boom box playing so loud no-one around can hear anything else. I would never join in a line with people I haven’t ridden with, with those close quarters you ned to know you can trust the persons around you in the dreaft. You know, I have seen people drafting off the sag wagons, ambulances, and anything elst going down the road. There was even a guy hanging on the sag wagons trailer once.

No prizes or prems, unless the first person in has to have a beverage waiting for you. Guess that a prize for coming in 2nd or 3rd.

Michrider !!!, March 28, 2012 at 10:12 am

Matt:
Hi all!So excited for my first RAGBRAI (pending Lottery of course)!

– I know this is not a race, but are there any kinds of prizes or friend;y competitions that are encountered along the way?

Welcome to RAGBRAI!!! Yes, I’ll be awarding prizes (beverages) to attractive women who join me on the Kurbs of Iowa!!!!!!

Satman, March 28, 2012 at 10:31 am

jwsknk ~ Great answer.
MR ~ That’s a good answer too!

Iceman, March 28, 2012 at 11:26 am

Mich – I thought that restraining order against you at the kurbs was still in effect.

kicks9, March 28, 2012 at 2:12 pm

Lets just say there is no ref out there breaking up pace lines or drafters that is for sure. I think there should be sometimes, but I admit I have been in them too. Bottom line use your head. If it is busy, dont do pacelines it is stupid and reckless especially with so many inexperienced riders out there. If you are going into a head wind dont be suprised to look over your shoulder and see 20+ people stacked up on you, especially if you are strong rider. If you feel the roads are clear enough for you and a buddy to work together I dont see a problem with that and like I said I have done it before. Just slow down in high traffic areas. Have fun.

Kicks9

Matt, March 29, 2012 at 7:43 am

Hey guys, thanks for the good info!

Rather than start a new thread, I thought I’d add a few more questions here!

– Do you pack 7 days of bibs/shorts, or do you have a washing process? I’m not about to reuse a soiled shammy!

– I’d like to at least keep a charge on my cell phone and Garmin Edge… Any hints for accomplishing this if camping? The only option I can think of is buying a solar charging device!

jwsknk, March 29, 2012 at 8:45 am

I take 4 setsso need to wash them out once. some people get by with 2 but I don’t count on things drying out over night.

Charging, leave the phone off as much as possible. won’t be a lot of coverage in rural areas anyway probably. Take your charger with you, might be able to plug in at a church, legion, VFW at lunch and again at supper. Going to try the solar again this year, just need to figure out a better way to do it this time.

RonB, March 29, 2012 at 8:59 am

jwsknk: as far as drafting, lots of people do it, many that have no business right there in the middle of it. With 10-15,000 people on the road it can be shoulder to shoulder with someone going 12 mph passing a 10 mph rider riding side by side with their bud. While on the left of center a 15 mph person is passing and on their left a little faster person is trying to pass. Then along somes a double paceline of 20 people expecting everyone to get the heck out of their way so they don’t have to slow. Oh yeah, then there is a car up and another on a half mile back. Also, I should mention somewhere in that cluster, is a boom box playing so loud no-one around can hear anything else.

This is absolutely the best description of Ragbrai riding that I’ve ever seen….so true!

RonB, March 29, 2012 at 9:05 am

Matt: Do you pack 7 days of bibs/shorts, or do you have a washing process?

As to the washing process, several ways, probably in order of ease:
1. take your shorts into the shower with you and wash them there.
2. cold water sources (hose) are pretty easy to find, bring a little laundry soap and have at it.
3. find a laundramat mid week, but expect it to be crowded.
1 & 2 above are more of a rinse than a real wash, but it usually works out OK.

“Bicycle Bill”, March 29, 2012 at 9:24 am

Another thing about washing/drying cycling clothing…. I’m an Eagles Club member, and I make it a point to visit the local clubrooms in the pass-thru and overnight towns. Once it is known that I am a member visiting from out-of-town, I’ve had individual members offer me a place to stay or use of the shower at their home. I’m sure, had I needed it, I could have probably gotten the use of their washing machine/dryer as well.

I’m not saying it’s going to happen everytime everywhere, but if you belong to some group like the Eagles, or the Moose, or even a particular religious denomination, you may want to keep this option in mind as well.

-“BB”-

kicks9, March 29, 2012 at 10:10 am

Be careful of trying to reuse even if you plan on them being rewashed. I crashed last year and tore my bibs pretty good. Looked strange the rest of the day with a hip exposed but nothing else thank goodness. Might take an extra pair if you plan on washing and using again in case something rips or happens. I usually pack 7 days of riding clothes in zip lock bags. Get as much air out of each bag before you seal it. Helps with space when packing. DO the same when they are wet and it keeps from stuff growing on wet clothes. Makes it easy though, wake up and pull out a fresh bag of clothes. If you packed well everything for that day should be in that bag, including money, gels, and whatever else you plan on taking with you each day.

Kicks9

pmac, March 29, 2012 at 11:27 am

Some charters, like PBV offers a mid-week laundry service. I thought that service, along with their unlimited showers were really big selling points. .

As for charging phones etc, there are plenty of outlets in all of the towns if you’re the least bit creative/adventurous. Libraries, courthouses, other public offices, bars, diners, churches, local attractions, etc are all good choices. While I would always ask if it was ok to plug in a charger, no one ever said no. Stop someplace, buy something, plug in your charger for a little while and rest up in some AC.

Michrider !!!, March 29, 2012 at 2:34 pm

Ah yes, the PBV mid-week laundry service. The best $10 I’ve ever spent!!! We turn in our dirty, smelly clothes on Tuesday afternoon and get them back on Wednesday afternoon all folded and fresh smelling! Perfect!!!! Proceeds from PBV’s laundry service goes towards the Juvenile Diabetes Organization.

Wonder Woman, March 29, 2012 at 11:06 pm

BB- good suggestion. with family and organization connections at least I may get an “in” I didn’t think of before.

mentor58, March 29, 2012 at 11:43 pm

I’m using Banchell Charters, they offer the same service that Michrider mentioned. When I’m solo touring I usually wash stuff out in the shower. I really like the Coghlins(?) Camp Soap. You can find it at Wal-Mart in the camping section. Cleans well, rinses off easy, bio-degradeable. I use it for about everything except my teeth when I’m solo. If you plan on washing out each day, remember to bring some cord and a few clothes pins to hang stuff out to dry.

Hope to see you there,

Steve

Viewing 15 replies - 1 through 15 (of 21 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Categories

RAGBRAI L – 2023

RAGBRAI XLIX – 2022

RAGBRAI XLVIII – 2021

Training

Gatherings & Meetings

Lost and Found

Miscellaneous

Clubs, Teams & Charters