first timer would like to try a day??

I’ve always wanted to do RAGBRAI, but I’m not sure I would be up to it. I would like to try riding part of the route on Tuesday since it’s close to home. Of course I get this idea after registration is closed. So I was thinking of having someone drive me to Ogden, and riding at least to Boone, or maybe as far as Luther. Just so I can see what it’s like, and say I’ve done it and just see what happens.
I emailed contact info email to ask about daily passes, but I’m sure they’re very busy as I haven’t gotten a response.

So maybe y’all know? Can I go up to Ogden, find the “shop” and buy a daily pass? What time frame do you think the bulk of riders will be going through Ogden? I’d like to get up there and ready to ride before that.

Thanks! BTW, my father bought me a 1977 Schwinn Traveler for my HS graduation because I said I wanted to ride in RAGBRAI that year. I guess better late than never. It’s taken me over 30 years to make an attempt!

8 Replies

hnschipper, July 16, 2018 at 1:58 pm

There won’t be anywhere in Ogden to buy a daily wristband. You can buy daily wristbands in the overnight towns:

•Daily wristbands and non-rider wristbands will be available for purchase on the ride at the RAGBRAI Expo the day before RAGBRAI begins, at the RAGBRAI merchandise trailers in each town, or at the RAGBRAI baggage truck during the week.

jelly0317, July 16, 2018 at 2:02 pm

If you’re just riding a portion of one day, I wouldn’t even worry about buying a day pass. If you’re starting in Ogden, I wouldn’t be surprised if you decide to go all the way to Ames. Once you’re surrounded by thousands of other riders, you’ll find unexpected strength.

Becky Gilreath, July 16, 2018 at 2:04 pm

Rats. Glad I asked. Jefferson is just a little far. I thought maybe since there was a “shop” icon on the map for Ogden, they’d have dailies there. Glad I didn’t show up for nothing

jwsknk, July 16, 2018 at 2:20 pm

people will start to hit Ogden by 8 am (or sooner) most will probably be 11 to 1. the “shop” is one of the bike shops set up in town to do repairs. Consider Boone to Ames for a first time part day and avoid old Hwy 30 hill into Boone. Then the only one to deal with is S. Dakota coming into Ames and you do get a bit of a run at that one.

Becky Gilreath, July 16, 2018 at 2:27 pm

Good Advice. Boone is actually a little more convenient. And I don’t like hills. I say that cause I can’t get up that beeping hill at Saylorville!!

Jonathan Jones, July 16, 2018 at 5:30 pm

It’s not like there are people on the road scanning your wristband, either.

Bruce Atkinson, July 16, 2018 at 6:53 pm

Good for you, Becky!

That day will be my first ever day of RAGBRAI, too. I hope to do the middle three days. As I wrote here,I’ve been thinking about RAGBRAI forever.

Single day passes were available online through June 8. I forgot to grab some, so I have to get one each day.

There aren’t any wristband scanners. A co-worker “went rogue” (his term) and didn’t get a wrist band when he rode a previous RAGBRAI. Other co-workers may jump in the middle on the last day; the ride will be within a mile of our business.

I thought of rebuilding my college bike (GO CLONES!), a 1979 Fuji Sport 10, but I ran out of time.

RagbraiJim, July 16, 2018 at 9:54 pm

This is my 14th Ragbrai. Last year was hilly on the last day. Was pulling my 6 year old daughter and had to walk up the hill. I wasn’t the only one. In fact most walked up the last two hills that day. Point is that it was one of the funnest days I ever had on Ragbrai. Don’t worry about the hills, go at your own pace and have fun.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Categories

Looking for RIDES

RAGBRAI XLVII – 2019

RAGBRAI XLVI – 2018

Training

RAGBRAI XLV – 2017

RAGBRAI XLIV – 2016

Gatherings & Meetings

Lost and Found

Miscellaneous

RAGBRAI XLIII – 2015

RAGBRAI XLII – 2014