Join Us in July - Register Today!

First Year

This is my first year, nd so excited. A friend of mine did it last year, and I followed it on the web. Looks like a BLAST, so I thought  I would give it a try.
Got my bike last Saturday and can’t wait. Hope to meet so great people.
I won’t know anyone this year, but hopefully that will change for next year:)
Lots of training to do  :)

212 Replies

Amanda, January 17, 2011 at 6:40 pm

I wondered how long it would take until some guy called you Miss October! Tony, Tony, Tony. He did warn you about the BS. so be ready!

october1165, January 17, 2011 at 7:42 pm

Thanks for the legs up! I have joined Bike Burlington,and plan on doing their Wed night rides. Has anyone got to ride beside Lance before? That would be a hoot :) And yes the peddles scrare me!!! But I hear all newbes fall a few times….I’m ready for that too :(

Davy Sprocket, January 17, 2011 at 7:51 pm

Miss October?  Legs Up?   wait a minute, I have to go take a cold shower…………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………….

Okay, whew!  Now I rode along side Lance for several miles as we conversed, of course it wasn’t Lance Armstrong, but it was a guy named Lance.

Now if I were you, I wouldn’t listen to Amanda about this BS stuff, ’cause we always tell the truth.

KittySlayer, January 17, 2011 at 7:58 pm

october1165 said: …Has anyone got to ride beside Lance before? That would be a hoot :)

Yes, it was fun, but not for the faint of heart. I have been in Cat 5 crits that were safer. A fast paceline with people redlined and riding beyond their ability. Then all the morons trying to take pics while riding in the middle of a pack. Hung in for a couple of miles and then drifted out the back to relax and enjoy the rest of my day.

Michrider !!!, January 17, 2011 at 8:34 pm

october1165 said: Thanks for the legs up! I have joined Bike Burlington,and plan on doing their Wed night rides. Has anyone got to ride beside Lance before? That would be a hoot :) And yes the peddles scrare me!!! But I hear all newbes fall a few times….I’m ready for that too :(

RAGBRAI 2006, I got the thrill of meeting Lance.  I was like a little kid!

My friend Davey is right, we never BS (almost never)!

nwiabikr, January 17, 2011 at 9:00 pm

The other thing that the training miles will help with is to get the bottom conditioned to riding on the sadal for seven days. This is sometimes the last thing that gets into shape. Make sure you get a couple good pairs of biking shorts for riding.
Welcome to the forum. You will forever remember your week on RAGBRAI.

SFC JKL 2, January 17, 2011 at 11:19 pm

My Lance story goes like this.  We heard he was coming into some town (sorry, I’m not from Iowa so I  never pay attention to where I’m actually at).  A girl I was riding with(a grade school teacher from TX) had said her goal for the week was to see Lance.  As he came slowly toward where we were standing, she jumped in front of him and yelled “hey Lance” as she pulled her jersey over her head.

He smiled and I think everybody was happier for it.  I know I was.

The other 2 times I saw him I was in a beer garden.  He did stop at the second one so sometimes it does pay to drink beer.

Sandaltan ., January 18, 2011 at 4:43 pm

Amanda said: I wondered how long it would take until some guy called you Miss October! Tony, Tony, Tony. He did warn you about the BS. so be ready!

Is there any chance a centerfold will show up?  I mean besides the Little Stoker?

RIDE RIGHT

Michrider !!!, January 18, 2011 at 6:25 pm

Sandaltan said:

Amanda said: I wondered how long it would take until some guy called you Miss October! Tony, Tony, Tony. He did warn you about the BS. so be ready!

Is there any chance a centerfold will show up?  I mean besides the Little Stoker?

RIDE RIGHT

Should we be checking navels for staples?

Davy Sprocket, January 18, 2011 at 7:02 pm

Michrider said:

Sandaltan said:

Amanda said: I wondered how long it would take until some guy called you Miss October! Tony, Tony, Tony. He did warn you about the BS. so be ready! Is there any chance a centerfold will show up?  I mean besides the Little Stoker? RIDE RIGHT

Should we be checking navels for staples?

Or maybe checking navels at Staples?

Amanda, January 18, 2011 at 8:20 pm

I don’t think Staples allows navel checks. I work there and I have a navel. It’s not checked, it’s polka-dotted! LOL You gotta give it back to them, October!

Davy Sprocket, January 18, 2011 at 8:29 pm

Oh, my dear Amanda.  I have seen security video of you checking out some of the Navals that have been shopping at Staples.  Especially that young captain in his dress whites.  LOL

october1165, January 18, 2011 at 10:53 pm

Okay New Fellow Riders… My navel is checked, right before the centerfold
pic is taken.. :) and in the beer garden will most likely be were I too will get a glimps of Lance, UNLESS he flies by me to give me a nice breeze :)

Sandaltan: – are the biking sandals comfy? Haven’t decided if I want a pair..I love my golf sandals :)

Michrider !!!, January 19, 2011 at 6:04 am

I don’t believe “you people”!!!  I go out to dinner last night and come back to find a “Navel discussion”!!!!!  What’s with that?  I always thought this was a “G” rated forum!  Where’s Tony?  He was a sailor!  October, sandals are the official footwear for RAGBRAI!  I suggest you look for a nice pair of “Three Strap” Shimano’s!  I’d show you a picture of my sandal clad feet but I think Princess Amanda would yell at me!!!! 

jwsknk, January 19, 2011 at 8:16 am

Michrider said: I don’t believe “you people”!!!  I go out to dinner last night and come back to find a “Navel discussion”!!!!!  What’s with that?  I always thought this was a “G” rated forum!  Where’s Tony?  He was a sailor!  October, sandals are the official footwear for RAGBRAI!  I suggest you look for a nice pair of “Three Strap” Shimano’s!  I’d show you a picture of my sandal clad feet but I think Princess Amanda would yell at me!!!! 

don’t listen to the man behind the curtain. 2 Strap sandels! Mich, Mich, Mich, trying to corrupt the virgins.
Need to stop by Staples, Navel check in aisle 3!
Ans davey, it must be too early, I read that as the captain in his white dress. If he’s anything like the Ames dress guy, I don’t want to see it

Viewing 15 replies - 16 through 30 (of 212 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Categories

RAGBRAI L – 2023

RAGBRAI XLIX – 2022

RAGBRAI XLVIII – 2021

Training

Gatherings & Meetings

Lost and Found

Miscellaneous

Clubs, Teams & Charters