Join Us in July - Register Today!

First Year

This is my first year, nd so excited. A friend of mine did it last year, and I followed it on the web. Looks like a BLAST, so I thought  I would give it a try.
Got my bike last Saturday and can’t wait. Hope to meet so great people.
I won’t know anyone this year, but hopefully that will change for next year:)
Lots of training to do  :)

212 Replies

october1165, January 20, 2011 at 8:38 pm

Thanks Michrider! I did that, and  jwsknk… I will look for the skunk :)
And will surely look for you Amanad.. :)

Davy Sprocket, January 20, 2011 at 8:44 pm

october1165 said: Thanks Michrider! I did that, and  jwsknk… I will look for the skunk :)And will surely look for you Amanad.. :)

What am I?  Chopped liver?  Fine!  I see how it is.  You discriminate against mountain men.

Oh, and I knew you weren’t really Miss October!  LOL.

october1165, January 20, 2011 at 10:30 pm

Davy Sprocket said:

october1165 said: Thanks Michrider! I did that, and  jwsknk… I will look for the skunk :)And will surely look for you Amanad.. :)

What am I?  Chopped liver?  Fine!  I see how it is.  You discriminate against mountain men. Oh, and I knew you weren’t really Miss October!  LOL.

OH MY MY …did we have a snip of COLD DUCK….?
You my friend have not told me what to look for…Pink Duck tape maybe?
And I do dislike liver, chopped or any other way!
Oh, did you see me in Nov.?  LOL  :)

Papa T, January 20, 2011 at 10:49 pm

I love cooked duck and cold duck, but is it OK that I lost track of this thread, or it it just more evidence I am more out of touch than I think I am?

Route announcement in only one effen week! DIMICNW?

Michrider !!!, January 21, 2011 at 6:24 am

Papa T said: I love cooked duck and cold duck, but is it OK that I lost track of this thread, or it it just more evidence I am more out of touch than I think I am?

Route announcement in only one effen week! DIMICNW?

Papa T, your not out of touch, we’re just rambling and babbling as usual!!

Amanda, January 21, 2011 at 7:36 am

october1165 said: OH MY MY …did we have a snip of COLD DUCK….?You my friend have not told me what to look for…Pink Duck tape maybe?And I do dislike liver, chopped or any other way! Oh, did you see me in Nov.?  LOL  :)

Uh oh, now if you need PINK duct tape, Mich knows where to get it. I can see he’ll be hauling a roll to give to you. I still have mine, Mich!

Michrider !!!, January 21, 2011 at 10:48 am

Amanda said:

october1165 said: OH MY MY …did we have a snip of COLD DUCK….?You my friend have not told me what to look for…Pink Duck tape maybe?And I do dislike liver, chopped or any other way! Oh, did you see me in Nov.?  LOL  :)

Uh oh, now if you need PINK duct tape, Mich knows where to get it. I can see he’ll be hauling a roll to give to you. I still have mine, Mich!

Kool, DUCK TAPE is awesome!!!!!

jwsknk, January 21, 2011 at 10:52 am

wonder where HH has been, all this talk about Cold Duck should be right up her alley,  Cold Duck originall flat champagne and red wine served cold of course.

Michrider !!!, January 21, 2011 at 10:56 am

jwsknk said: wonder where HH has been, all this talk about Cold Duck should be right up her alley,  Cold Duck originall flat champagne and red wine served cold of course.

I have it from a reliable source (well almost reliable) that H.H. has been banned from the forum….OK, my source is completely unreliable!!!

“Bicycle Bill”, January 21, 2011 at 2:23 pm

jwsknk said: wonder where HH has been, all this talk about Cold Duck should be right up her alley,  Cold Duck originall flat champagne and red wine served cold of course.

Your knowledge of wines (or lack of same) is appalling.  That’s why Skunks are *KEPT* in Iowa.

A good red wine should be served at room temperature, assuming you keep your rooms at about the same temperature as a medieval English castle (62° to 67°); since most of us do not, the correct temperature for red wines is “chilled”,  *NOT* “cold”.  This allows all the nuances of the taste, bouquet, and — most importantly, the “follow” — to be fully experienced.

There are some exceptions.  A light and fruity red, like a Beaujolais or a White Zin, is best served around 54° to 60°; and Pinot Noirs and their ilk are most flavorful when served at temperatures between 59° and 63°.  But most of the dinner wines today, like a Bordeaux, a Merlot, a Cab Sauvignon, or a Shiraz, are properly served when in the 62° to 67° range mentioned above.

White wines, on the other hand, are better when chilled. but even then, not to as low a temperature as which most people have set their refrigerators.  Dry white wines are best served in the upper 40s or lower 50s; light, sweeter wines and rosés should be poured at the low to mid 40s.   And champagne and dessert wines should be served in the low 40s.

“But what about champagne and the ice bath?” — I hear someone say.  That is because in a proper wine cellar, all wine is stored at about the same temperature — usually the mid to upper 50s.  Thus, it becomes necessary to bring the temperature of the champagne down by around 15 degrees; hence, the ice bath.  And as you might have noticed, the wine steward or the sommelier himself will bring out the champagne in its bath and will almost immediately open and serve it, before it has the opportunity to become *too* cold.

No charge for this bit of information.  Cheers, everybody!

-“BB”-

jwsknk, January 21, 2011 at 2:29 pm

okay, so serve it chilled then :-)
 Cold Duck originated in Germany, where it can be traced to the practice in Bavaria of mixing cold, sparkling Burgundy with bottles of previously opened Champagne. This mixture was knows as kalte ende (cold end).

october1165, January 21, 2011 at 2:52 pm

I hope someone will have some COLD DUCK on a hot night so we can all meet somewhere and give our opinion  of this well talked about mixture :)

Michrider !!!, January 21, 2011 at 3:31 pm

october1165 said: I hope someone will have some COLD DUCK on a hot night so we can all meet somewhere and give our opinion  of this well talked about mixture :)

Can you find cold duck in Iowa?  I know they sell Budweiser!  I’m sure we’ll all find beverages to our liking!!!!

october1165, January 21, 2011 at 3:43 pm

Michrider said:

october1165 said: I hope someone will have some COLD DUCK on a hot night so we can all meet somewhere and give our opinion  of this well talked about mixture :)

Can you find cold duck in Iowa?  I know they sell Budweiser!  I’m sure we’ll all find beverages to our liking!!!!

And..Miller 64…a gals gotta watch her intake.. :)

Michrider !!!, January 21, 2011 at 3:48 pm

october1165 said:

Michrider said:

And..Miller 64…a gals gotta watch her intake.. :)

I’ll meet you on the curb in Iowa! 

Viewing 15 replies - 46 through 60 (of 212 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Categories

RAGBRAI L – 2023

RAGBRAI XLIX – 2022

RAGBRAI XLVIII – 2021

Training

Gatherings & Meetings

Lost and Found

Miscellaneous

Clubs, Teams & Charters