Join Us in July - Register Today!

First Year

This is my first year, nd so excited. A friend of mine did it last year, and I followed it on the web. Looks like a BLAST, so I thought  I would give it a try.
Got my bike last Saturday and can’t wait. Hope to meet so great people.
I won’t know anyone this year, but hopefully that will change for next year:)
Lots of training to do  :)

212 Replies

OhioCyclone, January 27, 2011 at 3:37 pm

My current progress, is no where near “handling” it. 5 years of engineering intermixed with binge drinking has left me a little worse for the ware. But its a challeng, and I like challenges. My last rides I had to kind of force myself at points. I need to find some smaller hills and get my endurance up. I am not worried about time as much as actually making it to the end. ANd I just found out I may not get to make it to the mississippi. Wedding on Saturday…in Ames. Who gets married during Ragbrai…especially when they are from Iowa?

Michrider !!!, January 27, 2011 at 3:38 pm

OhioCyclone said: My current progress, is no where near “handling” it. 5 years of engineering intermixed with binge drinking has left me a little worse for the ware. But its a challeng, and I like challenges. My last rides I had to kind of force myself at points. I need to find some smaller hills and get my endurance up. I am not worried about time as much as actually making it to the end. ANd I just found out I may not get to make it to the mississippi. Wedding on Saturday…in Ames. Who gets married during Ragbrai…especially when they are from Iowa?

That’s just wrong!

jwsknk, January 27, 2011 at 3:51 pm

OhioCyclone said:  ANd I just found out I may not get to make it to the mississippi. Wedding on Saturday…in Ames. Who gets married during Ragbrai…especially when they are from Iowa?

really, what time, afternoon? we usually get back in Ames around 8:00. Mileage of the last day and where we end up plays a factor too, 3-5 hrs to get back depending in the route. Guess we will have a better idea come Saturday night.

Papa T, January 27, 2011 at 6:16 pm

Many riders over the years have been married on Ragbrai.

Amanda, January 27, 2011 at 7:10 pm

And some riders get divorced on RAGBRAI.

Davy Sprocket, January 27, 2011 at 7:21 pm

Amanda said: And some riders get divorced on RAGBRAI.

and most were riding tandems.  LOL   and just kidding…….I think.

ts, January 27, 2011 at 9:23 pm

OhioCyclone said: I am however nervous of being ready for the ride. Any tips would be helpful. I already fall into the clydesdale region at 6’4″ and 280…I plan to be in better shape by July. 

I also have terrible knees. Do any of you have any tips as how to riding in the thought of it being easiest on my knees…
Welcome!  I have two pieces of advice for you.  First, consider getting yourself fitted to your bike at a reputable bike shop.  Especially for a beginner, having a good fit is crucial.  This is doubly important if you have bad knees since a poor seat position can really tweak the knees.  If you get clipless pedals, get them before the fitting.  An advantage of clipless pedals is that your feet will always be in the same position on the pedals so the fitter can make adjustments to your shoes if needed.  I had knee pain off and on for years until a fitter recommended small wedges for my shoes to offset my pronation.  Since then, no pain.

Secondly, just put in miles.  It doesn’t really matter if you ride hills or flats or fast or slow – just ride as much as you can.  Don’t worry about the hills – it’s mileage that counts.

knees36, January 27, 2011 at 11:02 pm

ts said:

OhioCyclone said: I am however nervous of being ready for the ride. Any tips would be helpful. I already fall into the clydesdale region at 6’4″ and 280…I plan to be in better shape by July. 

I also have terrible knees. Do any of you have any tips as how to riding in the thought of it being easiest on my knees…

Welcome!  I have two pieces of advice for you.  First, consider getting yourself fitted to your bike at a reputable bike shop.  Especially for a beginner, having a good fit is crucial.  This is doubly important if you have bad knees since a poor seat position can really tweak the knees.  If you get clipless pedals, get them before the fitting.  An advantage of clipless pedals is that your feet will always be in the same position on the pedals so the fitter can make adjustments to your shoes if needed.  I had knee pain off and on for years until a fitter recommended small wedges for my shoes to offset my pronation.  Since then, no pain. Secondly, just put in miles.  It doesn’t really matter if you ride hills or flats or fast or slow – just ride as much as you can.  Don’t worry about the hills – it’s mileage that counts.

ts: has included lots of good advice.  Being a rider that has had knee issues in the past  I can vouch for bicycling across Iowa using gearing that includes a triple crankset (a granny gear) for easier hill climbing and less stress on the knees.  My granny gearing has been a real blessing for these old bones.

“Bicycle Bill”, January 28, 2011 at 11:35 am

Just remember that climbing hills on RAGBRAI, especially significant hills like last year’s Potter’s Hill or other notorious sites like Pilot Mound or Waterworks Hills outside of Boone, is not going to be the same as climbing similar hills (or even the same hills!) on your own.

Due to the amount of cycling congestion and the all-over-the-scale variations in the abilities of your fellow riders, you will be reduced to literally crawling up the hills.  Many people who would have probably been able to ride Potter’s Hill had they been on their own were forced off their bikes due to the gridlock caused by weaker riders walking, dismounting, or riding slowly  in front of them.  And don’t even think about ‘tacking’ from one side of the lane to the other in an attempt to reduce the gradient!!

-“BB”-

Michrider !!!, January 28, 2011 at 12:14 pm

“Bicycle Bill” said: Just remember that climbing hills on RAGBRAI, especially significant hills like last year’s Potter’s Hill or other notorious sites like Pilot Mound or Waterworks Hills outside of Boone, is not going to be the same as climbing similar hills (or even the same hills!) on your own.

Due to the amount of cycling congestion and the all-over-the-scale variations in the abilities of your fellow riders, you will be reduced to literally crawling up the hills.  Many people who would have probably been able to ride Potter’s Hill had they been on their own were forced off their bikes due to the gridlock caused by weaker riders walking, dismounting, or riding slowly  in front of them.  And don’t even think about ‘tacking’ from one side of the lane to the other in an attempt to reduce the gradient!!-“BB”-

Of course your right B.B!  By the time I got to Potter Hill, it was so thick with walkers that I decided to join them for the safety of all!  It still makes sense to ride lots of miles, including hills prior to RAGBRAI!

jwsknk, January 28, 2011 at 1:54 pm

october1165 said: so you bought a new Trek in Burlington and work in Ankeny. long commute isn’t it? Well, I never said I Lived in Burlington…nor did I say I work in Ankney… where have you truly been jwsknk??   :)

oh, where have I been? putting 2 +2 together and coming up with 5 ;-0
i see, the company you work for is based out of annkenny.
and where have you been? haven’t been scared off yet,  you know, just like the planet Earth, it’s “Mostly Harmless”

october1165, January 29, 2011 at 4:07 pm

Hope to meet you in July on planet ” Joy Riding” :)

Michrider !!!, January 29, 2011 at 4:24 pm

october1165 said: Hope to meet you in July on planet ” Joy Riding” :)

Is it time yet?

october1165, January 29, 2011 at 5:09 pm

Oh I wish! I’m so excited to ride this year :)

Michrider !!!, January 29, 2011 at 5:14 pm

october1165 said: Oh I wish! I’m so excited to ride this year :)

Excited?  Right now I’m like a little kid, sitting here for 3 more hours waiting for the route announcement!!!!

Viewing 15 replies - 106 through 120 (of 212 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Categories

RAGBRAI L – 2023

RAGBRAI XLIX – 2022

RAGBRAI XLVIII – 2021

Training

Gatherings & Meetings

Lost and Found

Miscellaneous

Clubs, Teams & Charters