Fitness geeks

This is my first RAGBRAI and Iam looking foward to the experience. I understand it is a social ride and an event and a party. But i want to ride fairly fast and not stop every 10-15 miles. I would prefer a nice group of 10-30 riders doing pacelines traveling around 20-22 mph. Is this possible to find and do safely on this ride. I have seen some of the videos and the crowds and variety of riders fitness and skills makes me wonder. I was thinking if I left early every morning I could find like minded individuals and less crowded roads. I do want to enjoy the event and plan to do so mainly at the overnite towns rather than early in the days trip. Thanks for the reply

13 Replies

Sandaltan ., June 19, 2011 at 8:05 pm

Be prepared to change your plan.  If you leave early enough to avoid the crowds you should have lights front and rear; and cruising at 20 to 22 mph you will be in the overnight town before noon; and whatcha gonna do then???  The fun is back on the route….at least for most of us.  My advice; try the front of the pack for two days and then ride the middle of the pack for a day….now….decide which is more fun???  Wanna a little more fun???  Ride the end of the pack on the fourth day.

RIDE RIGHT and let us know which was best for you.

RIDE RIGHT

Bartaped, June 19, 2011 at 8:40 pm

Think you signed up for the wrong ride.

SFC JKL 2, June 19, 2011 at 9:42 pm

Eric-

Try riding BRAG.  The goal of many riders there is to get to the next overnight town before the hotel stops serving breakfast.

barbara45000, June 20, 2011 at 12:38 am

If you’re riding that fast, you’ll be missing the most fun…..slow it down and enjoy it all. The fun is the towns and if you’re missing the towns, you’ll be missing the whole meaning of the Ragbrai. Ragbrai is ABOUT the towns and without them, there would NO Ragbrai at all. The adventure of the week is found on the road between the towns….enjoy yourself. Life it too short………….

jwsknk, June 20, 2011 at 6:56 am

a ride of this size I would not feel comfortable in a line of 10-30 strangers doing 20 + mph. Too many people of different abilities all over the road, and a couple gould try to jump in.

trknight, June 20, 2011 at 7:24 am

If you’re a fitness geek and want more of a workout, why not just ride hard without a paceline.  Start at 2:00 in the afternoon and you’ll still make the next over night town in plenty of time.  Last year I probably drafted less than 25 miles the whole ride with maybe 7-8 miles in a paceline of about 10 riders and that was on the day with the century loop when I just wanted a few quick, easy miles at the end of the day.  Ragbrai is to be “experienced”.  You’ll miss a lot of what it has to offer in your paceline.   

benherr, June 20, 2011 at 8:20 am

I think you’re a troll.

Sandaltan ., June 20, 2011 at 9:20 am

SFC JKL2 said: Eric-

Try riding BRAG.  The goal of many riders there is to get to the next overnight town before the hotel stops serving breakfast.

We rode BRAG in 2003 I think is was; Bainbridge to St. Marys.  Not my cup of tea, one and done.   I will never forget standing in the dinner line behind a grizzled BRAG oldtimer and hearing him say “yeah I rode RAGBRAI once but never again”.  He went on to say his biggest gripe was that RAGBRAI made you buy all your own food and that there were no rest stops with free snacks and PBJ sandwiches every 15 to 20 miles.  My wife and I looked at each other and I made a circular motion around my ear with my index finger.  (crazy)  Oh, and I would rank the 2003 BRAG food plan as less than good on a Good – Better – Best  scale.   Friends who rode BRAG last year said the food plan has not improved.  Different strokes for different folks I guess.

RIDE RIGHT

SFC JKL 2, June 20, 2011 at 12:06 pm

Sandaltan-

I only ride the Brag spring tune-up (3 days in April).  Not sure if I could handle a full week with those people.  They do have a social with free beer and a rest stop was giving out Heineken annd bloody mary’s (thou few people stopped).

typical BRAG day:
get up early and ride as fast as possible to next town (everyone is off the road by 1:00).
sleep/lay around/nap until supper time
eat
try to find something fun to do before going to bed early

Good thing that couple liked paying the extra $125 in entrance fees to cover those “free” snacks.

jeffreydennis, June 20, 2011 at 12:15 pm

eric–a recipe for disaster. Can you find a group? Sure. Will it hold together through the town? Probably not. Will there be a trip to a hospital? Likely. As one person said; ride it without a pace line for a work out. Safer too!!

madison5302, June 20, 2011 at 4:06 pm

<FONT face=””>Right! Want to train?  Go on your own power not in a pace line.  The pace lines are a mix of people who don’t know each other’s signals (elbows out mean slowing…to some people).
Although you may be a troll, you just might be fun…if you let yourself be.
When I was first riding, I was frustrated.  My riding friend told me, “Just do the miles, the rest will come.”  RAGBRAI has tons of miles.  There will be a physical strength gained.  Take a deep breath and meet some new people.  That’s my plan anyway.</FONT>

Sandaltan ., June 20, 2011 at 4:47 pm

SFC JKL2 said: Sandaltan-

I only ridee the Brag spring tunfe-up (3 days in April).  Not sure if I could handle a full week with those people.  They do have a social with free beer and fa rest stop was giving out Heineken annd bloody mary’s (thou few people stopped).

I bet the few riders that stopped were likely from Iowa and/or states bordering Iowa and maybe Colorado.  Most rides have their own culture and BRAG is quite unique. 

RIDE RIGHT

“Bicycle Bill”, June 20, 2011 at 6:55 pm

ericp45694 said: This is my first RAGBRAI and Iam looking foward to the experience. I understand it is a social ride and an event and a party. But i want to ride fairly fast and not stop every 10-15 miles. I would prefer a nice group of 10-30 riders doing pacelines traveling around 20-22 mph. Is this possible to find and do safely on this ride. I have seen some of the videos and the crowds and variety of riders fitness and skills makes me wonder. I was thinking if I left early every morning I could find like minded individuals and less crowded roads. I do want to enjoy the event and plan to do so mainly at the overnite towns rather than early in the days trip. Thanks for the reply

Suggestions:
1) Choose a state
2) Map out a route across the state.
3) Get your group together.
4) Ride like h*ll.

Like many others have pointed out, RAGBRAI is a social event.  It was meant to be a way to see Iowa, its scenery and its people, from the seat of a bicycle.  It is not a qualifying event for P/B/P, or even a Gran Fondo….nor was it ever meant to be.

If that’s your idea of riding, OK, more power to you.  But this particular event is not the place to be doing it.  You’ll likely become nothing more than a potential danger to others, and I guarantee that you personally will wind up becoming frustrated, upset, crabby, and obnoxious.

-“BB”-

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Categories

RAGBRAI XLVIII – 2021

RAGBRAI XLVIII – 2020

Training

Gatherings & Meetings

Lost and Found

Miscellaneous

Clubs, Teams & Charters

Friends of RAGBRAI