Join Us in July - Register Today!

Food Budget

1st time riders … had a friend ask me how much to budget for food and I wasnt really sure. We will be riding the whole thing. Yes, I know it varies person to person based on how much you eat … just looking for a ballpark. 

Do most vendors keep the prices reasonable? 
Thanks in advance, cant wait to ride!

31 Replies

getbent, June 23, 2011 at 1:44 pm

I throw $40 in my pocket each day, along with the change from the day before. That covers my food, small souvenirs and donations along the way. You can usually eat lunch for less than $5.

Brat/Hamburger- $3-4
Chips- $0.50
Pie-$1-3

Keep an eye out for church breakfasts along the way, since they can be great deals for a lot of food.

ehlent, June 23, 2011 at 2:23 pm

I usually budget around $400 for the week for food.   For that amount you can eat well and have a few bucks left over for whatever.   One thing to think about is that if you need bike repairs or anything else along the way, that costs as well.   

J-Man, June 27, 2011 at 11:59 am

$40 a day or a little under is what I expected. 

$400 is quite a bit for one person, isnt it? thats almost $60 a day! are you including other things in that number? or are you having a 28oz porterhouse every night? :)

Zinger, June 27, 2011 at 12:40 pm

Pre breakfast snack $2

Real breakfast $5
Mid morning snack $2
Lunch $5-6
Mid afternoon snack $3
Supper $6-10
It all adds up and this doesn’t include adult beverages. You’ll be amazed how much you eat on the ride. You’re burning a whole lotta calories every day!

Anonymous, June 27, 2011 at 5:29 pm

40$ is about right..less if you are a bagger and shop at HYVee and carry food. Other costs can be factored in…fuel for the bus can cost 1000$ divided up between the riders (who aren’t sponges)..registration, showers sometimes cost, t shirts, home made Ice cream, stuff breaks, you may have to stop at walgreens for something..batteries go dead..of all my ragbrai’s, 400$-500$ is the price of admission.

J-Man, June 27, 2011 at 8:45 pm

cool, thanks guys!

Sandaltan ., June 27, 2011 at 8:57 pm

If you drink the free water and leave the Gatorade alone you can save several bucks each day.   I have not bought more than one or two Gatorades on RAGBRAI for the last couple of years. 

RIDE RIGHT

barbara45000, June 28, 2011 at 3:13 am

You can use the single packets of drink mix and then mix them with the free water. You get free water and drink mix that way……….that’s what I do.

Michrider !!!, June 28, 2011 at 5:16 am

You can save a lot of money, if you drink free water and skip the beer……wait a minute, what am I saying!  Guess I got all caught up in the topic!!!!

KittySlayer, June 28, 2011 at 7:55 am

Here is a thread that discusses budgets for food and all the accessories (pie and beer) needed to complete the ride:

https://ragbrai.com/forums/topic/weeklong-budget

Sandaltan ., June 28, 2011 at 9:01 am

Michrider said: You can save a lot of money, if you drink free water and skip the beer……wait a minute, what am I saying!  Guess I got all caught up in the topic!!!!

Mich:  Put a cold towel on your forehead and wrap your hand around an icy cold bottle of Bud Light.  You will be OK, just a little too much sun.

RIDE RIGHT

Michrider !!!, June 28, 2011 at 1:34 pm

Sandaltan said:

Michrider said: You can save a lot of money, if you drink free water and skip the beer……wait a minute, what am I saying!  Guess I got all caught up in the topic!!!!

Mich:  Put a cold towel on your forehead and wrap your hand around an icy cold bottle of Bud Light.  You will be OK, just a little too much sun.

RIDE RIGHT
Right now, I have an icebag on top of my left knee (screwed it up last week on GOBA, DA.MN wind!), Foamy (foam roller) under my knee and a cold Budweiser in my right hand!!!!!

getbent, June 28, 2011 at 1:55 pm

Michrider said:
Right now, I have an icebag on top of my left knee (screwed it up last week on GOBA, DA.MN wind!), Foamy (foam roller) under my knee and a cold Budweiser in my right hand!!!!!

Well at least you’re still able to train! :)

Michrider !!!, June 28, 2011 at 3:07 pm

getbent said:

Michrider said:

Well at least you’re still able to train! :)

Now all I have to do is get my wife to bake pie, any kinda pie!!!!

J-Man, June 28, 2011 at 9:54 pm

barbara45000 said: You can use the single packets of drink mix and then mix them with the free water. You get free water and drink mix that way……….that’s what I do.

great idea, thanks!
Kitty, thanks for the link. 

Viewing 15 replies - 1 through 15 (of 31 total)

The forum ‘RAGBRAI XXXIX – 2011’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Categories

RAGBRAI L – 2023

RAGBRAI XLIX – 2022

RAGBRAI XLVIII – 2021

Training

Gatherings & Meetings

Lost and Found

Miscellaneous

Clubs, Teams & Charters