Food question

I’m doing my first RAGBRAI this year (so excited!!)! I’ve read about how going hungry is really not a concern as there will be lots of delicious food. But, I have been a vegetarian for 10 years-and done endurance sports for 6-and though on many occasions I’d be more than happy to live off pie and corn on the cob (I’m from Iowa so obviously this is true) I am wondering if you RAGBRAI alums can give me an idea of if I will have many food options or should I plan on packing my camp stove and some meals? Thanks for any insight!

13 Replies

francoisvanzyl, May 15, 2017 at 1:35 pm

You can literally eat as healthy or unhealthy as you want — there is just so much food with options for all comers.

Pack and carry a camp stove? Ouch, that thing must be heavy.

Rebecca Stubbs, May 15, 2017 at 1:38 pm

Awesome! That is exactly what I wanted to learn.

It’s a backpacking stove so I’ve had to pack and carry it on many occasions but I’d rather not deal with it if I don’t have to…

Thanks!

dlschaef, May 15, 2017 at 3:53 pm

My daughter and I have ridden for 3 years and she is vegan. There are always options available, but can be a bit of a challenge. Vegetarian should be a bit easier.

jwsknk, May 15, 2017 at 4:29 pm

There are 1 or 2 vendors that follow the route that serve vegetarian meals during the day, probably set up in the meeting town. A couple of smoothie vendors follow the route too. Other local ones will pop up from time to time. One town had a fruit cup bar set up. Probably a Hy_Vee in almost all the overnight towns this year.

Tom Olinger, May 15, 2017 at 9:39 pm

Also look for local restaurants and bars. Free wifi and plenty of cold AC.

Cory Rood, May 16, 2017 at 6:16 am

Jwsknk, you won’t see a hyvee the last 2 days for sure. Waukon does have a fareway though.

Ryan Flugge, May 16, 2017 at 1:22 pm

Hyvee I think gets pretty limited after Charles City… They have Fareways as mentioned though after that, or other local grocery stores. Most of the time, food should not be an issue, as many vendors follow the routes

Brian Wallenburg, May 16, 2017 at 9:29 pm

If you see a pink school bus and hear someone yelling POOOOORRRRRRRKKKKK CHHHHHOOOOOP!!!! It’s not a vegetarian stop!
On a serious note, you will have little to no trouble. Even the schools and church ladies have vegetarian options.

“Bicycle Bill”, May 17, 2017 at 12:53 am

Homo sapiens, like most other species found at the top of the food chain, is an omnivore.  And remember, it’s your vacation.  Unless you have a legitimate medical or religious reason (keeping kosher, for example) to refrain from some forms of nourishment as opposed to some high and noble “save the animals”/SJW mindset, try an Iowa chop or a breaded pork tenderloin sandwich or something else that you might normally pass up otherwise.

-“BB”-

This reply was modified 2 years, 6 months ago by  "Bicycle Bill".

KenH, May 17, 2017 at 6:53 am

There’s usually corn on the cob at Mr. Porkchop however if you want to stick to your vegetarian diet and you must try their Sassy Lemon Slushies!

RoyBoy, May 17, 2017 at 10:51 am

You should have no trouble finding vegetarian fair along the route. I eat mostly vegetables and fruit daily but I’m strictly not vegetarian And I do have days where I only eat veggies or fruit while on RAGBRAI. I like to visit Carbo-Hut for their veggie pasta dishes. Some churches will have a veggie option. Small town grocery stores and Hy Vees along the route also are a source I use. Hopefully Peanut Butter Jam is back again this year. I always stopped for one of their peanut butter sandwiches along the route. My favorite was peanut butter and dill pickle. Forget the camp stove, it will just be excess weight for the most part.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Categories

Looking for RIDES

RAGBRAI XLVII – 2019

RAGBRAI XLVIII – 2020

RAGBRAI XLVI – 2018

Training

RAGBRAI XLV – 2017

RAGBRAI XLIV – 2016

Gatherings & Meetings

Lost and Found

Miscellaneous

RAGBRAI XLIII – 2015