Food?

Hey y’all! What snacks do you like to keep on hand for the week while you’re on the bike? Was thinking Clif bars or those little Stinger cakes etc.

25 Replies

Geoff Butland, March 5, 2018 at 11:31 am

Last year was my first RAGBRAI and I carried granola bars in my pannier “just in case”. Never touched them. There were so many food opportunities on the roadside that I never felt hungry enough to stop and dig them out. Pork chop vs. granola bar – it’s no contest! Come to think of it…I might have actually BOUGHT a granola bar from a stand supporting a school. I figure the folks along the way put a lot of effort into RAGBRAI…makes sense I should support those efforts as a way of saying thanks.

Barry Schnoor, March 5, 2018 at 1:47 pm

You’re probably right, Geoff. I wouldn’t go out for some miles without several hundred calories in my pack…just in case. Cliff Bars, GU packs, Hammer Gels…just to keep from bonking at mile 40 during the day. Hydration is probably more important.

Personally, I’m hoping to sample rhubarb pie in every town along the way…

Uncle Kraig, March 5, 2018 at 4:01 pm

For training, not sure why but I always have a granola bar and some beef or deer jerkey. For RAGBRAI, I have nothing. You can’t ride more than a few miles without seeing more food than you can imagine. Don’t worry, if there is one thing I can guarantee about RAGBRAI, is you wont go hungry 🙂

This reply was modified 1 year, 10 months ago by  Uncle Kraig.

Nico ZZZ, March 5, 2018 at 5:20 pm

My first year, 2014, I packed 14 KIND bars – two for each day. I ate ONE! Once you smell the grilled meat as you ride into every town, you will realize you packed heavy. You are burning major calories every day, so it is “no guilt” week. Eat the grilled pork, burgers and steak sandwiches. Enjoy the pie and ice cream. I dream of returning to Iowa for Beekman’s root beer floats. Wooo! And the Iowa craft beer is excellent. And Bloody Marys and vodka lemonades and and and….. I do pack a Gu pack every day just in case I need a boost. I maybe use two in a week before a hilly landscape at mile +45 or a headwind day.
Don’t bring too much, as you can find it in Iowa if you really need it, and there is no price gouging. water $1, Gatorade $2, beer $3-5. This includes bike stuff: butt butter, tubes, etc. I had three flats last year. I brought two, carry two. So had to buy three…buy in any town with the traveling mechanics.
Ride On!

jpclark7, March 5, 2018 at 5:34 pm

LOL, “guilt-free”????? BULLSHIT! :O :O :O

Some of these folks gaining pounds on RAGBRAI????!

jake d, March 5, 2018 at 8:21 pm

I’ve gained weight, lost weight, and stayed the same on Ragbrai. I don’t worry a whole lot about it because I’m on vacation. Besides, experience has taught me that if I eat normal when I get home and continue to ride on a regular basis, my weight is back to normal usually in 7-10 days.
There is no Guilt in gaining a pound or two on Ragbrai. However, being anal about it and judging others is another story.

montestaples, March 6, 2018 at 3:01 am

Food of all sorts is everywhere on RAGBRAI. The only thing, resembling food, that I carry with me while riding is Clif Blocks electrolyte chews. They help pretty quick if you start to cramp up. Of course you need to drink plenty of water with them. I gave some away once to help a guy get to the last town. He was seriously cramping. I hope he made it. Even those you do not need to take with you because you can buy them at many places along the route or at the RAGBRAI Forum in each overnight town. Hydration is most important. I like to use a hydration pack (Camelbak) with electrolytes in my water. I sip water often and it keeps me out of trouble.

Nico ZZZ, March 6, 2018 at 7:29 am

NUUN is being offered along the route again this year. Good stuff. Also, for cramping, I highly recommend bringing magnesium spray. Gave some to a cramping tent neighbor in 2016 and he was better in five minutes. Use before and after the day’s ride.
Ride On!

mclousing, March 6, 2018 at 8:14 am

Nothing beats plain pickle juice for cramping (preventative and immediate relief)

jpclark7, March 6, 2018 at 10:47 am

Second that on the pickle juice! I was a little upset the the NUNN peoples weren’t on the 2017 route– great to see they are tagging along this year! How did you find out?

Nico ZZZ, March 6, 2018 at 12:16 pm

The NUUN announcement was in the RAGBRAI blog a couple of days ago.

KenH, March 6, 2018 at 2:34 pm

Snacks? On RAGBRAI? The ride is a smorgasbord, we don’t need no stinking snacks!!

francoisvanzyl, March 7, 2018 at 2:13 pm

Have done RAGBRAI twice and gained weight on both occasions — that is just how I wanted to do it.

bugs11, March 7, 2018 at 3:35 pm

Pickle juice tastes great in a Bloody Mary.

Kelly Puster, March 9, 2018 at 2:17 pm

I have to echo similar sentiments. I carried jerky and bars and never touched a single one. Feels good to support the towns on my way through. I’m just one person, but you get 20,000 of us coming through, and we can do some great things for these towns!!

Viewing 15 replies - 1 through 15 (of 25 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Categories

Looking for RIDES

RAGBRAI XLVII – 2019

RAGBRAI XLVIII – 2020

RAGBRAI XLVI – 2018

Training

RAGBRAI XLV – 2017

RAGBRAI XLIV – 2016

Gatherings & Meetings

Lost and Found

Miscellaneous

RAGBRAI XLIII – 2015