Food?

Hey y’all! What snacks do you like to keep on hand for the week while you’re on the bike? Was thinking Clif bars or those little Stinger cakes etc.

25 Replies

andytetmeyer, March 9, 2018 at 9:13 pm

Hell, there have been days on the ride when I realized halfway that I didn’t even have a water bottle.
you’ll be fine.

Proteus Dan, March 10, 2018 at 11:35 am

I bring a package of Fig Newtons for a snack in the tent.

CharterOak DayOne, March 16, 2018 at 7:24 am

We are open to any suggestions for food and drink, so let’s hear it! Can’t wait to have RAGBRAI visit Charter Oak, Iowa.

Bruce Woodrow, March 17, 2018 at 8:57 pm

In addition to options already mentioned, here are a few things you will find every day along the way:
• dill pickle popsicles
• bananas
• watermelon
• PBJ sandwiches (choice of jelly/jam)
• corn on the cob
• pancakes and waffles
• pasta
My favourite not common treat was 2 peeled, hard boiled eggs in a baggie, with salt and pepper available.

I ride a recumbent trike and my days are longer than most. I carry a squeezable tube of applesauce (Costco sells them for kids lunches) for a late day pick me up, if I don’t want to stop.

But, as a general rule, you really can buy everything you need along the way.

JLVanPelt, March 18, 2018 at 9:28 am

Healthy fare! While I love the indulgence of RAGBRAI food, having options to balance out the not so great stuff would be awesome: cold clementines, oranges, grapes, whole wheat bagels, wraps, carrot sticks, etc.

Bruce Woodrow, March 18, 2018 at 10:52 am

Healthy fare! While I love the indulgence of RAGBRAI food, having options to balance out the not so great stuff would be awesome: cold clementines, oranges, grapes, whole wheat bagels, wraps, carrot sticks, etc.

I agree. I consume a lot of liquid each day and often what I really want is a nice sandwich on good, multigrain bread, maybe tuna salad or egg salad, etc.

Joe Bussey, July 20, 2018 at 9:37 am

We have camp coffee while getting ready to roll, then an Rx bar as we pedal out of town. We’ll stop for breakfast in about 10 miles, have lunch at or just before the meeting town, and then after a couple beers and showers in the overnight town, seek out our last meal of the day. On our bikes we take enough water to get from town to town because we can refill when we need to. Along the way you’ll see people selling bottled water and all the “comfort food” you’d ever want to stay full! A person could easily spend $20-$30 a day on food and a few drinks, or a lot more depending on your passions.
Bottom line, don’t stress, enjoy being on vacation. Pass the days by milestones instead of by time.

tacook, July 20, 2018 at 11:08 am

We eat a mini-Kind bar each morning to get us to the first pass through town for breakfast. We also keep two in the bike bag as emergency rations. Other than that, we get all of our food from non-profits in the towns

This reply was modified 1 year, 6 months ago by  tacook.

Kelli Libby, July 20, 2018 at 11:29 am

My rag bride consist of how much pie can I eat in a week . I do carry gummy supplements but I’ve never used him I have given them to other people along route who need them because they didn’t eat enough pie.
My charter lost and found adventures carries a variety of snacks for us including pickles and pickle juice. They also have Thomas for calcium replacement which helps with cramps also.
Lost and found avengers also takes care of us along route.
Food, water, showers, snacks and medical advice from our many doctors and nurses that ride with our charter.

Wes Dammann, July 20, 2018 at 2:21 pm

The Knights of Columbus of Manning will be ready to serve you breakfast on Monday on the Highway to Bells. We are serving: pancakes, farm to table sausage, scrambled eggs, baked goods, and homemade ice cream in the air conditioned shelter house located in the city park. Looking forward to serving you.

Viewing 10 replies - 16 through 25 (of 25 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Categories

Looking for RIDES

RAGBRAI XLVII – 2019

RAGBRAI XLVIII – 2020

RAGBRAI XLVI – 2018

Training

RAGBRAI XLV – 2017

RAGBRAI XLIV – 2016

Gatherings & Meetings

Lost and Found

Miscellaneous

RAGBRAI XLIII – 2015