Forced route through towns?

Were riders forced through pass-through towns this year? In 2019 I was upset that there were barricades on the roads to force riders into the towns. One town had a tractor-trailer rig blocking the road. Was there anything like that this time? Just curious.

22 Replies

Ben There, August 17, 2021 at 8:57 pm

Please move on and let this die. You have made 4 attempts to explain why this matters, and it really just does not matter to anyone else. I agree with what klkoopman said “”Well, “the route” is the the route…””, so either take the route or don’t take the route, but please get over the idea that the route is wrong.

Mike Murphy, August 17, 2021 at 9:15 pm

If you don’t want to ride the route, just ride around the country side and stop at your Casey’s or wherever. The route is designed to go through towns and that is why I do Ragbrai and not just ride 400-500 miles anywhere during the week. In regards to needing a special invitation to pedal through the town all I have to say is Get over yourself!!!!

Simplykatieb, August 18, 2021 at 4:41 am

Hi there,

I am looking to buy the souvenir tee off someone. I am sad I missed it (my first full RAGBRAI was this year) and would take any size. I would pay $35 for the $10 shirt. Please let me know.

Oregon Guy, August 28, 2021 at 11:34 am

How tough can it be? If you don’t want to go through a town, then figure something out. Not too tough.

This reply was modified 1 month, 3 weeks ago by Oregon Guy.

Paul Smietana, September 4, 2021 at 3:25 pm

This was my first Ragbrai and I throughly enjoyed all of the towns and was impressed on how friendly the town were, needless to say I ate my way across Iowa. I did not loose a pound! No complaints only great thanks for the hospitality.

Larry Klaaren, September 7, 2021 at 9:09 am

There is a once in a while that I don’t feel like walking through the town or dealing with it. I agree with the people that point out that for safety issues, it is best to stay on the route, or to ride a side street through the town. But I do think the OP has a point in that even if he is not patronizing the vendors along the way very much, he is supporting the host towns by being there longer. I think it’s about how social you want the ride to be. I think the OP rides by himself. For the most part we like checking out the towns, or sitting in the shade on a bench in a city park for a while or whatever. My point is we are all different, and like different things about the ride, and should not expect others to feel the same. But I do think, all in all, all points considered, it is safer and more honoring of the people who put the ride and the town’s participation together, to stay on the route. Maybe they block off the alternative route because a factory has a truck entrance on that route or it is not a safe ride for some reason. Just a thought.

LawnchairMan, September 7, 2021 at 10:12 pm

I am going to let this post die as Ben There requested, but I want to make a couple of last points.
I never said the route was wrong. The forced turn in question was too small to be seen on the official route.
I don’t expect a special invitation to go into a town. I just want the choice. I know I’m not the only one who feels this way because I have seen other riders skirt the sawhorse barricades on previous rides.
Larry K.
Thank you for respecting my choice to do Ragbrai my way. You are correct that I ride solo and support the host towns more.
My apologies for letting this go on this long. As far as I am concerned this thread is dead.

Viewing 7 replies - 16 through 22 (of 22 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Categories

RAGBRAI XLVIII – 2021

RAGBRAI XLVIII – 2020

Training

Gatherings & Meetings

Lost and Found

Miscellaneous

Clubs, Teams & Charters

Friends of RAGBRAI