Registration is open for RAGBRAI L!

Front bike lights

Please do not set the front lights to flash. When driving towards a white flashing light it can cause a driver on the road to have problems. Its better to leave it constantly on.

29 Replies

Joseph Schlau, July 30, 2022 at 7:14 pm

B.S. You have no idea what you are talking about.

This reply was modified 4 months ago by Joseph Schlau.

Surlyman!, August 1, 2022 at 7:57 am

Joseph Schlau YOU have no idea what you are talking about… White flashing lights are known to cause epileptic’s to have seizures. Also, white flashing lights can cause people with Lasik surgery to have focus issues… I know, I am one of them. You need to shut the heck up.. all of your posts are nothing but negative…

LawnchairMan, August 1, 2022 at 9:23 am

At least in two daytime crashes with cars, the driver said they didn’t see me. That is why I always use my light in flashing mode during the day. I want to be noticed. Several times when I stop at traffic lights I will cover my light with my hand to shield drivers facing me. I can’t always do this as I need a drink or I need to get ready to roll. I use the steady beam at night.
My eyes have become more sensitive to glare at night, so I avoid driving in the dark as much as I can. That’s my problem, not the motorists’ or cyclists’ with bright lights.

Randall Murphy, August 1, 2022 at 12:19 pm

Strobe flashes are known to cause seizures but surely the slow flash of a light will not cause one. I will continue to use mine in flash mode as I WANT to be seen. If you drive over a hill and the sun is in your eyes you don’t ask the sun to move and you don’t complain to the highway department to move the road…you don’t look at it.

Victoria Boyd, August 1, 2022 at 5:19 pm

I disagree as well. I run flashing front, solid rear. I do have a helmet I wear sometimes that has the option to flash or solid as well. It’s pretty common to see front flashers. I definitely notice them coming towards me and as a cyclist my goal is to be noticed.

Joseph Schlau, August 2, 2022 at 3:47 am

Joseph Schlau YOU have no idea what you are talking about… White flashing lights are known to cause epileptic’s to have seizures. Also, white flashing lights can cause people with Lasik surgery to have focus issues… I know, I am one of them. You need to shut the heck up.. all of your posts are nothing but negative…

If strobe bike lights caused car drivers to have seizures, then we would expect to see the ditches of every rural highway littered with crashed cars. In other words, it isn’t happening.

However if you still hold this deep seated fear of bike light seizure syndrome that you suffer from, perhaps you may want to consult with your doctor for appropriate eye wear to shield you from this.

Many people out there claim some special condition and try to get the world to conform to their view. I’m thinking the mass prohibition of strobe bike lights isn’t going to happen.

So rather than prompting me to stop commenting, gather your scientific data and post it. Something a little more convincing than I think, I believe, I heard, I feel.

In the mean time, the rest of us see the strobe as a vital safety item which distinguishes their bike from all of the other things on the highway.

Surlyman!, August 2, 2022 at 6:52 am

Joseph Schlau Thanks for proving my point.

Joseph Schlau, August 8, 2022 at 11:50 am

I am happy to report that I safely completed the last leg of my journey from Lansing IA across Wisconsin then home with the assistance of the strobe lights on my bike. The front flashing light on the e-bike along with the NiteRider Pro 4200 series light nicely warned traffic of my presence.

Note: No cars or wildlife was harmed in the making of this trip.

Surlyman!, August 8, 2022 at 1:21 pm

And yet….. AGAIN!!!

t53h4christ, August 8, 2022 at 3:30 pm

Solid white front light and flashing red back light is the best. All other vehicles on the road do not have flashing headlights for a reason. During the day the flash isn’t as bad but still not a good thing to drive towards.
I guess if you want a flashing light on the front make it amber instead of white.

Joseph Schlau, August 8, 2022 at 4:19 pm

Solid white front light and flashing red back light is the best. All other vehicles on the road do not have flashing headlights for a reason. During the day the flash isn’t as bad but still not a good thing to drive towards.
I guess if you want a flashing light on the front make it amber instead of white.

Why is solid white best. Opinion or something like science to back the claim.

The reason all other vehicles on the road cannot legally use flashing white lights is that their use is restricted to police/fire. Bicycles are exempt.

So what reason were you thinking of.

You guess that amber should be used. Maybe something more certain than a wild guess.

Flashing amber is also restricted for certain vehicles highway repair / tow trucks.

A flashing light on a bike has 3 benefits. It alerts oncoming traffic there is a bicycle approaching. Most people fear being hit from the back on a bike. A car turning left in front of a bike is just as hazardous.

A flashing light alerts oncoming traffic of your presence. If a car is in the process of passing you and moves left, the oncoming car has a heads up why.

Highways are are often fitted with multiple reflective surfaces like signs, centerline reflectors, guard rail reflectors etc. Add to this reflective tail lights and license plates on cars.

The back flashing reflection alerts a driver approaching from the rear that something out there is creating this flash.

If riding in darkness where illumination of the road is necessary, the strobe is counterproductive.

“Bicycle Bill”, August 8, 2022 at 8:56 pm

Surlyman, you are correct that flashing lights may have adverse effects on people with epilepsy, but research shows that the flashing frequency that causes this falls within a known and therefore relatively uncommon rate — 5 to 30 flashes PER SECOND (emphasis mine).  If ALL flashing lights were likely to do this, why aren’t we seeing more people going into seizure from turn signals, flashing highway barrier lamps, advertising signs, or the red/blue flashers on police cruisers?

-“BB”-

boylerf, August 11, 2022 at 5:03 pm

I do like the flashing front light during the day but I point it down 30-45 degrees. Makes it noticeable but not blindingly bright.

jpclark7, August 12, 2022 at 8:14 pm

Well that was uncalled for, Joseph Schlau

Joseph Schlau, August 12, 2022 at 8:34 pm

What was?

A little more?

Viewing 15 replies - 1 through 15 (of 29 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Categories

RAGBRAI L – 2023

RAGBRAI XLIX – 2022

RAGBRAI XLVIII – 2021

Training

Gatherings & Meetings

Lost and Found

Miscellaneous

Clubs, Teams & Charters

Friends of RAGBRAI