The Great Iowa Fall Ride registration is open!

Getting miles in

Every year I struggle with getting enough miles in. I get up about 4:30 and go to the gym during the week. Then work until 4:30 at the job. By the time I get home and make even a small supper, I am too tired to go for a ride. I have tried to ride right after work and then make supper but that gets late since I go to bed at 9. Weekends are my days to ride. Of course I fit it in with laundry, and other household chores. :(

Last week I rode my bike to work which is about 7 miles round trip. At least I am getting some seat time in! So 2 questions. How do other people with a schedule like mine get miles in? And is 7 miles a day considered junk miles that won’t help?

And yes, this is not my first rodeo. This will be my 18th RAGBRAI and last year I did make it on 350 training miles.

Sheesh, I am really whiney today! Sorry.

126 Replies

KenH, June 3, 2016 at 10:35 am

I’ll be getting some miles in at the Udder Century this coming Sunday. I’ll start early and only do the metric since I have to get home to sing in the end of year choir concert at church. If you’re from northern Illinois and are planning to go let me know and maybe we can contrive a way to meet and say hi!

Margaret Condon, June 4, 2016 at 9:46 am

Hilarious, this will be my first Ragbrai. I was a bit worried but thanks to all the useful suggestions I’m confident I can do this. Heading over to John Deere right now to get a tire.

Michrider !!!, June 5, 2016 at 9:22 am

I’m happy for all you people who are riding. It’s been 7 weeks (next Tuesday), since Lefty was fixed (total knee revision). My recovery is goint well. However, my surgeon wants me to wait until the 10 week mark before I start riding. I’m anxious to get back on the bike!!! Have a great week of RAGBRAI!!! BTW remember, RAGBRAI don’t care!!!!

BillSpriggs, June 5, 2016 at 11:14 am

Mich, Good to hear that Lefty 2.0.1 is going well. Enjoy PT and we’ll see you on the curb next year. BTW RAGGRAI does care.

Michrider !!!, June 6, 2016 at 5:46 am

: Mich, Good to hear that Lefty 2.0.1 is going well. Enjoy PT and we’ll see you on the curb next year. BTW RAGGRAI does care.

Thanks Bill! I plan to be there in 2017, with the new, improved Lefty!!! In the meantime, I better do some Kurb training! RAGBRAI don’t care!!!

KenH, June 6, 2016 at 8:06 am

Yesterday had its moments at the start but turned out to be a glorious day to take a bike ride. My riding buddy and I pushed off at the beginning of the McHenry County Udder Century intending to do 62 miles. A wind out of the NW made the initial trek north and west fairly punishing, what my buddy calls an Illinois mountain. I didn’t find it horrible although it did take a bite out of our average speed which would not have impressed many of you even on a calm day. The comments I heard from other riders at rest stops indicated that most found the wind to be a lot worse than I did. Even so, at the rest stop that marked the turnaround point for the metric loop we decided to press on and take the 75 instead. It’s only another 13 miles, right?

The turnaround for that loop came after only 7 or so miles more and after that we could run south and east with the wind at our backs all the way home. Made good time but didn’t do much to improve our average speed. There was still that one long though not steep hill on Deerpass Road but when you crest that you can literally coast for 3 miles. At the end of the ride we enjoyed the pasta dinner the club provides, although it would have served us even better if we’d had it the night before.

Anyone who lives in the area and wants a good pre-RAGBRAI tuneup ride on the first Sunday of June should consider it next year. On the whole the McHenry County Bicycle Club did a fine job as usual and it was a great confidence building ride for me. Two weeks ago I did a 60 mile solo ride and I was starting to struggle by the end. Certainly didn’t feel like going any farther. But yesterday was a very RAGBRAI-like day in the saddle and I finished that feeling like I am getting in shape for RAGBRAI and could have done the century.

No time for that however, had to be home in time to go to church and sing in an hour long choir concert! So, Princess, how’s your training going? Not trying to make you feel bad, just trying to give you a little nudge now and then! And my best wishes to Lefty, may he come roaring back in 2017!

RoyBoy, June 6, 2016 at 8:17 am

Just finished a week of high altitude hill training in Colorado. Biking everyday and racking up more miles. The people I stayed with were impressed I could keep up with them. I’m just happy I didn’t die. But if I had, at least it would have been while doing something I love.

Amanda, June 6, 2016 at 8:20 am

I did 60 on Saturday – brutal winds but I made it! :)
Now I have over 300 so I am focused to meet my goal of 700 by RAGBRAI. Feeling much better about my training.

Have a great day, everyone!

Jonas Holman, June 7, 2016 at 7:42 pm

Hi There – Congrats on the 300 miles as you should easily hit 700. I’m a first time RAGBRAI rider and decided to follow the rider log advice of biking 1K before the trek. My sister and I are tracking miles on RunKeeper and keep each other motivated to not miss the weekly goals of 100 plus a week. I have logged 550 miles to date as I also started a couple of weeks late. I should be able to log another 885 miles before the start in the next 45 days which brings that total over 1,400 miles. I may miss a ride here and there but already feel much with 4 rides weekly and feel well conditioned to survive the week long trek. Keep up the great work!

Jonas

Sandaltan ., June 8, 2016 at 10:02 pm

Mich, the Little Stoker and I will keep the beer cold and reserve a spot on the curb until you get here…whichever year it is.

RIDE RIGHT

Michrider !!!, June 9, 2016 at 6:57 am

Sandaltan: Mich, the Little Stoker and I will keep the beer cold and reserve a spot on the curb until you get here…whichever year it is.
RIDE RIGHT

Thanks ST, I will be back!!! BTW, RAGBRAI don’t care!!!

jwsknk, June 9, 2016 at 8:51 am

1130 so far, 300 across Missouri next week. Know I will see a few on Big BAM

Craig Parson, June 10, 2016 at 6:57 am

I think that if you are active in general and accustomed to working in the heat of the day you will be fine regardless of miles. My suggestion would be instead of slowing yourself down or adding weight and drag on that 7 mile trip, just to see how fast you can do it. Want more resistance ride faster, you get a breeze as a bonus.

The minimum mileage thing is an old wives tale for people who don’t have the bike set up right in my opinion. I think it is about your butt not your legs. I say you can accomplish the same aerobic level in 200 miles if you make those miles very high intensity. My training this year is basically hills only. I might only get 12 miles in on a given day, but that will be climbing the same hill 4 times in a loop plus a ride across town to a hill that is at least 12% and a half mile long. I have climbed that hill enough already (probably only 8 or 10 times) to make regular hills seem like a break in comparison. I also believe in never stopping or lowering you power level to where it’s comfortable when you are “training”. After you get to the top of the hill you should get a tall gear and accelerate back up to a speed where you get a nice breeze and maintain decent effort. You want your body to learn that the “norm” is an effort that maintains 13mph or so minimum and it will recover at that level.

Make the most of your available time with intensity and you will be able to enjoy the ride when it is tiime.

Kwog

Brian Wallenburg, June 12, 2016 at 8:52 pm

Rode yesterday and today, total of 100 miles, temp 100 F, humidity 90%, winds 15-20 mph, Felt like RAGBRAI…

KenH, June 13, 2016 at 8:06 am

The four miles I did getting to work this morning put me at 1000 for the year. So I guess I will surpass my goal by a little! Also, I saw this picture in this year’s pre-ride gallery. Reminds me of someone who posts a lot here but I can’t quite remember who it is….

Another Sandal Tan

Viewing 15 replies - 31 through 45 (of 126 total)

The forum ‘RAGBRAI XLIV – 2016’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Categories

RAGBRAI XLIX – 2022

RAGBRAI XLVIII – 2021

RAGBRAI XLVIII – 2020

Training

Gatherings & Meetings

Lost and Found

Miscellaneous

Clubs, Teams & Charters

Friends of RAGBRAI