Getting miles in

Every year I struggle with getting enough miles in. I get up about 4:30 and go to the gym during the week. Then work until 4:30 at the job. By the time I get home and make even a small supper, I am too tired to go for a ride. I have tried to ride right after work and then make supper but that gets late since I go to bed at 9. Weekends are my days to ride. Of course I fit it in with laundry, and other household chores. :(

Last week I rode my bike to work which is about 7 miles round trip. At least I am getting some seat time in! So 2 questions. How do other people with a schedule like mine get miles in? And is 7 miles a day considered junk miles that won’t help?

And yes, this is not my first rodeo. This will be my 18th RAGBRAI and last year I did make it on 350 training miles.

Sheesh, I am really whiney today! Sorry.

126 Replies

Amanda, June 25, 2016 at 7:38 pm

I will try!

Amanda, June 26, 2016 at 9:17 pm

I hit 600 miles today!!

Jason Stoller, June 27, 2016 at 1:15 am

Very Good Amanda I am sure you will leave me in the dust. I am making sure I do at least 20 everytime I go out. Today the Heat index was 100 degrees with humidity of 91 degrees. I have had several days like that. I am sure its hot where you are too.

Last week I found out on fathers day I found out I had been riding for 4-5 days with diverticulitis. I thought I just had sore muscles from training. Whats a little pain when training right! Anyway I am on the back side of that now. I think getting acclimated to the heat and humidity might be a bigger challenge for people this year if this weather stays like it is.

Jason

powellpd, June 27, 2016 at 10:22 am

Amanda- Congratulations on reaching 600 miles! It is more than you did last year so you are really ready for this years ride. You have such a positive attitude that will certainly carry you over the miles in Iowa. I hope the rash has healed for you. I am off the bike for another 5 days because of a saddle sore that just won’t completely heal. I may have pushed myself too much, so it could be my fault. I’m soaking in Epsom Salts baths and using A & D ointment on it. I am praying that it is healed before it’s “wheels on the road for us in Iowa!!”

Amanda, June 27, 2016 at 10:35 am

Thanks for the encouragement! I have found riding with my friends helps with the training miles! They push me. :)
Jason – My husband has had diverticulitis. It’s not fun. You have to figure out what is causing the flare up. I think we found radishes was the culprit. He also cut back on his peanuts consumption and energy drinks. Heat and humidity will probably be a facotr this year, with the hills and let’s throw in a few headwinds for a real challenge! LOL
Powellpd, I used baking soda and Aveeno oatmeal soak. With the A & D ointment after words (no underwear with a maxi dress helps too) And then when I rode again, the Monkey butt Anti friction really helped.

See you all in 26 days. I will be the one with the Princess license plate and the biggest smile of all!

Alan_50501, June 27, 2016 at 2:42 pm

I’m 25 short of hitting 500 miles only have had bike about 3 weeks hope to hit 500 today

Brian Wallenburg, June 27, 2016 at 2:59 pm

Surpassed 800 miles while pedaling around Lake Okoboji Saturday. Hope to get 200 hundred more before RAGBRAI. The triple H (heat, headwinds & humidity) has been rough this year!

KenH, June 27, 2016 at 3:20 pm

I pulled the data from my Garmin and plugged it into my training spreadsheet yesterday. I was rather surprised to find myself within spitting distance of my all time pre-RAGBRAI training miles level of 1200 or so. Unless I quit now I should surpass it by a little. Persistence does pay off. On the other hand I don’t feel really strong, I tend to come to the end of a ride feeling strong one day and spent the next. I really don’t know what to expect in the Loess Hills.

The weekend prior to my first century ride I went 80 miles and managed to wear a saddle sore in one or both cheeks. I used Bag Balm and Boudreaux’s Butt Paste at the advice of others. When mid week came it was still looking doubtful but by century Sunday I was all healed up. Should be plenty of time left until RAGBRAI to take care of one and I have no reason to believe there was anything magical about the potions that I used, what you’ve got is probably fine.

Brian Wallenburg, June 27, 2016 at 4:16 pm

Ken you sound like more than a weekend warrior with 1200 miles under your belt. I’d say that’s quite a few training miles. You should have smoke coming from your tires come the end of July!

BillSpriggs, June 27, 2016 at 6:54 pm

1,907 miles this morning. I’ve been able to get in 20 miles every morning with longer rides on the weekends. Should be able to get another 300 miles before I have to ship my bike. See you all in July.

RoyBoy, June 28, 2016 at 8:38 am

I’m at 2200 miles for 2016. Adding that to the 2000 miles I rode after RAGBRAI through the end of the year, well that’s a lot of miles. I think I’ll be ready.

Don’t stop believing!

powellpd, June 28, 2016 at 8:52 am

Thanks everyone for the great advice about what process and especially which butt cream is the most effective. I have all of them written down on my shopping list and will purchase several today. Also the Aveeno Outmeal Soak. The sore is looking better, but I’m not sure if I should ride on Thursday. That would be 5 days off the bike. I just hate to take another 2 days off with it being so close to “wheels on the road!” I keep thinking that having a painful sore is a lot worse than not getting more miles in. I have 2,570 mi. right now so maybe another 2 days off is what I should do. Thoughts anyone?

Nico ZZZ, June 28, 2016 at 1:33 pm

Hola Powellpd. I feel your frustration. I “tweaked” my lower back 10 days ago and had to cancel my Sunday ride in the Everglades – my reward for working all week! I took that time off the bike to stretch, stretch and stretch, as well as work the arms and do some push ups, etc – exercises that didn’t stress the lower back. You obviously have your cardio and endurance covered based on all your miles. So during your down time from the saddle, work on stretching. My trainer and my chiro both said that because I bike so much my legs, glutes, and quads are strong, but almost to the detriment of my flexibility. Because of all my riding, I need to do much more with my flexibility. So I am focusing more on that. Not sure if you foam roll, but that feels great after a ride (I also roll out every morning and before a ride). I was able to ride this weekend on both Saturday and Sunday after stretching like heck for a week every morning, noon and night. A couple of chiro adjustments in there as well.
I had a saddle sore and I used Desitin diaper rash medication. It was an astoundingly quick recovery.
Good Luck!

Brian Wallenburg, June 28, 2016 at 2:41 pm

powellpd, let it heal, you have plenty of training in. Otherwise, you’ll find yourself on the sidelines during RAGBRAI.

Jason, June 28, 2016 at 2:54 pm

Rode 205 miles over the weekend with 12,000′ elevation gain. Enjoyed leaving Texas heat, humidity and headwinds for the great weather at Angel Fire, NM.
RoughRiders200 is a great pre-RAGBRAI ride.

Viewing 15 replies - 76 through 90 (of 126 total)

The forum ‘RAGBRAI XLIV – 2016’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Categories

RAGBRAI XLVIII – 2021

RAGBRAI XLVIII – 2020

Training

Gatherings & Meetings

Lost and Found

Miscellaneous

Clubs, Teams & Charters

Friends of RAGBRAI