Getting miles in

Every year I struggle with getting enough miles in. I get up about 4:30 and go to the gym during the week. Then work until 4:30 at the job. By the time I get home and make even a small supper, I am too tired to go for a ride. I have tried to ride right after work and then make supper but that gets late since I go to bed at 9. Weekends are my days to ride. Of course I fit it in with laundry, and other household chores. :(

Last week I rode my bike to work which is about 7 miles round trip. At least I am getting some seat time in! So 2 questions. How do other people with a schedule like mine get miles in? And is 7 miles a day considered junk miles that won’t help?

And yes, this is not my first rodeo. This will be my 18th RAGBRAI and last year I did make it on 350 training miles.

Sheesh, I am really whiney today! Sorry.

126 Replies

Dockat, June 28, 2016 at 4:22 pm

When do you start measuring the miles? Since last years ride? Since you register? Since May1 ?

jwsknk, June 28, 2016 at 4:24 pm

I start over Jan 1. about 1594 so far.

Gthomp0419, June 28, 2016 at 5:18 pm

I start over Jan 1 too.

powellpd, June 28, 2016 at 6:00 pm

Gringonick- I am going to stretch morning, noon, and night. I believe your advice is sound. I have enough miles in. I am very used to being on the bike and certainly being in heavy humidity. I now just need to work on other important things to stay well conditioned. Thanks for the continued support and advice. Pam

powellpd, June 28, 2016 at 6:06 pm

Hi Brian- I’m going to take your advice and make sure this sore is well healed. I keep thinking if I try to get anymore training in, which I don’t really need, I am going to end up in serious trouble still being injured with a saddle sore that gets a lot worse on the road. Thanks for taking the time to make a comment that I need to hear!! Pam

Jonas Holman, June 28, 2016 at 10:54 pm

This has been a great blog and I look forward to getting email notices with this subject line almost daily! I started 4/30 and have been following the exercise routine provided on this site. It has been awesome bike log to track the miles, locations, etc. I also use Runkeeper to share goals/data with sister in Utah. In 2 shorts months I have logged over 900 miles, met some great people on rides and will cross over 1K by the end of this long weekend.. bring on RAGBRAI as I am ready! :)

Luv 2 Ski, July 7, 2016 at 12:02 pm

Today I as on the bike at 6:06am, it was humid, the smells were great, and it was about 75 degrees here in northern IL. I had flashbacks of riding RAGBRAI, and it felt like RAGBRAI 100%, just without the mass of people. A beautiful morning. It made me wish I was going this year but I just said to myself I am in training for next year.

I hope everyone has a great ride and that your preparation pays off.

BillSpriggs, July 7, 2016 at 1:32 pm

Today started at 5:45, a very cool 66 degrees in Central California. Cross over the 2,100 mile mark, should have over 2,200 miles before I ship the bike next week. I’m a little concerned that I haven’t done enough climbing this year. Looking forward to day two, I’ll find out if I did enough training this year. See you all on the road.

RoyBoy, July 7, 2016 at 2:21 pm

On track to get to 2500 miles since Jan. 1st. And I’ll be over 4500 miles since last RAGBRAI. Wow, what a journey it has been.

Thoreau, July 8, 2016 at 1:11 pm

I screwed up my knee (playing Frisbee) about six weeks ago and it hurt enough to make it hard to walk–and I was a little fearful that I would have to skip Ragbrai this year. But I’ve found that the knee doesn’t hurt on the bike at all (in fact it feels better when I finish riding). I cut back on my training a bit, but this weekend I managed to get in a two-day solo ride from the Northern Pacific coast (Gualala/Sea Ranch), over the mountains to a motel in wine country (75 miles with two very steep 2,000 ft climbs) and then a 65 m ride to SF the following day. The knee felt great afterwards so I’m on for Iowa and can’t wait.

One last long ride with friends this weekend (80-ish) then the bike gets packed and sent to Pork Belly early next week. Then it is just me and my Brompton.

Look forward to seeing everyone in the heat of Iowa (I can’t train for the heat out here in the Bay Area)

Gypsy Rose, July 9, 2016 at 7:13 am

After a very strenuous push to get a new barn raised, I got back on the bike two days ago, having not ridden for nearly a month and a half. Hopefully I can get a couple of long rides in over the next week and a half. Today, however, I’ll watch it rain and bake a rhubarb pie. Gotta train those pie eatin’ muscles, too!

Cheers,
~Kevin

Sexton, July 9, 2016 at 7:32 am

I wondered where you had went Kevin. Gardens sure needs the rain here on the east side of the Conn. river. While that’s happening, I’m going to pack and ship my gear bag, then give the bike a twice over.
30 rides into the season and just shy of 1100 miles, for anyone keeping score.

Gypsy Rose, July 9, 2016 at 9:16 am

Sexton: I wondered where you had went Kevin. Gardens sure needs the rain here on the east side of the Conn. river.

We sure need the rain here in Vermont, too. Barely 2 inches fell in June. It would’ve been a great month for riding the bike, though. Temps were cool and humidity low, which was also a great time for getting the timber frame up and the roof on the new barn.

I’m hoping that some of the physical effort that went into wrestling timbers will transfer to the bike. If not, I’ll be rolling a bit slower this year, with more stops for pork chops, corn, pie, and beer!

Cheers,
~Kevin

Anonymous, July 9, 2016 at 2:28 pm

well amanda, get your priorities in order. it comes down to this. no miles , no fun ragbri. you need to get a trainer for your home, and do an hour every day.

Michrider !!!, July 9, 2016 at 5:15 pm

: well amanda, get your priorities in order. it comes down to this. no miles , no fun ragbri. you need to get a trainer for your home, and do an hour every day.

fsu, I was surprised to see you back. Not happy, just surprised! I think it’s interesting that you give Amanda advice. She gets her miles in! She’s done RAGBRAI (correct spelling) enough, she knows how to have ride and have fun!!!

Viewing 15 replies - 91 through 105 (of 126 total)

The forum ‘RAGBRAI XLIV – 2016’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Categories

RAGBRAI XLVIII – 2021

RAGBRAI XLVIII – 2020

Training

Gatherings & Meetings

Lost and Found

Miscellaneous

Clubs, Teams & Charters

Friends of RAGBRAI