RAGBRAI XLIX registration is now open!

Getting miles in

Every year I struggle with getting enough miles in. I get up about 4:30 and go to the gym during the week. Then work until 4:30 at the job. By the time I get home and make even a small supper, I am too tired to go for a ride. I have tried to ride right after work and then make supper but that gets late since I go to bed at 9. Weekends are my days to ride. Of course I fit it in with laundry, and other household chores. :(

Last week I rode my bike to work which is about 7 miles round trip. At least I am getting some seat time in! So 2 questions. How do other people with a schedule like mine get miles in? And is 7 miles a day considered junk miles that won’t help?

And yes, this is not my first rodeo. This will be my 18th RAGBRAI and last year I did make it on 350 training miles.

Sheesh, I am really whiney today! Sorry.

126 Replies

RDaryl Daryl, July 11, 2016 at 7:06 am

Awesome !

dc7603 Cunningham, July 11, 2016 at 12:59 pm

Don’t over think it. I’m a 40 year old in decent shape and I had 450 miles in before the start of last years ride. I had no issues at all with completing each days ride and felt great at the end of each day. Some riders will try to get in well over 2000 miles but it really isn’t necessary. It’s a ride and you will see people going anywhere from 5-25 miles per hour at any given time. Don’t feel a need to keep up with faster riders and don’t feel intimidated by them. Find a comfortable speed and roll on!

cyclone80, July 11, 2016 at 2:21 pm

I have over 840 miles so far. My concern is 90% of those miles are on trails. I’ve done 1 or 2 days of RAGBRAI before and haven’t had a problem but this year I’m doing the entire thing. I do have a 65 mile road event this weekend with hills. Should I be concerned with lack of hills in those 840 miles?

Evin Thompson, July 13, 2016 at 7:53 pm

I am curious is this the largest number of posts to a single forum post in the history of RAGBRAI? I am sure somebody knows.

Brian Wallenburg, July 13, 2016 at 8:34 pm

This one has a ways to go! 425 responses to Sandletan’s “Did you ride today” in 2013.

Sandaltan ., July 13, 2016 at 9:36 pm

2013 was a very good year Mr. Wallenburg. I gave the bikes their final thorough once-over and discovered the Little Stoker’s front tire was in need of replacement and not from tread wear, sidewall cracks all the way around on both sides, some deep enough to
get my finger nail into the crack. Not good my happiness is dependent on the Little Stoker’s welfare, a new Schwalbe Marathon Plus is on order.

RIDE RIGHT and start checking your kit, bicycle first of course.

Viewing 6 replies - 121 through 126 (of 126 total)

The forum ‘RAGBRAI XLIV – 2016’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Categories

RAGBRAI XLVIII – 2021

RAGBRAI XLVIII – 2020

Training

Gatherings & Meetings

Lost and Found

Miscellaneous

Clubs, Teams & Charters

Friends of RAGBRAI