Getting on your bike despite COVID-19?

Not to minimize this pandemic, but to my way of thinking riding right now may be the perfect therapy…both physical and emotional. A few thoughts guide this opinion:

1) We are being told to maintain social distance (which I’m heeding). Unless you are doing a group ride, this is kind of automatic.

2) Many business are asking that employees work from home. For myself, I’m attending many daily meetings and most are “listen only”. I can easily get a 1 to 2 hour ride in during my work-day now.

3) A side bonus is that the roads are less congested with fewer folks commuting and making unnecessary trips by car. Might be the safest time to ride on the roads in many years.

4) This virus hits those with underlying respiratory issues most, so the converse is that the more healthy your respiratory system is the easier it will be to recover if you do contract it. Thus, exercise is essential.

5) I certainly hope not, but it’s possible that we may enter a period where we are only permitted to be out of our homes in emergency situations. And even a mild case (which most are) requires you to self-quarantine for a couple of weeks. So if you are currently healthy, ride now while you can.

6) This is an incredibly stressful time for everyone. Being cooped up inside is depressing. Watching the latest news and the financial markets in free-fall is awful. Stress and depression is a really unhealthy combination. For me anyway, fresh air and getting outside my bike is a major stress reliever.

Be safe all. We will come through this. This is really hard, but mostly I think we all want everyone to be as safe and healthy as possible. I am not an epidemiologist by any stretch…and I could be completely wrong about what I said above, so I welcome any/all opinions, dissenting or otherwise.

4 Replies

DenBiker, March 19, 2020 at 8:26 am

WELL SAID!!

It’s pretty easy to maintain “social distancing” on a bike. Just remember if you are riding with someone else add a bit more space between you than normal.

tjdale57, March 19, 2020 at 6:24 pm

I live in the boonies and ride alone as there are few if any cyclists living nearby. So I practice social distancing any way. But the road are particularly empty now and driveways are full of cars. I’m riding!

Dizzy, March 19, 2020 at 6:51 pm

Happy Spring everyone!
Yes sir, Jboz left a great message that it’s mentally and physically helpful to ride and safe as long as you don’t “peloton” yourself w/others. And the decrease in MV’s make it potentially safer to be out on the road.

And what the heck…it’s Spring already! D

skb-mpls, March 19, 2020 at 8:28 pm

In Mpls, there is a lot of walkers, joggers and a few other cyclists on the bike or combined paths. Many more than in Dec, Jan, Feb. In theory – I was within 6 ft of others 1-4 times per mile- So I have started to ride the city bike lanes and recently re-paved residential streets that are are lightly traveled. I am getting to know the neighborhoods in Mpls pretty well. In my average 25 mile jaunt on my SS winter bike- I am 10-30 ft from the nearest human. Even though I’m in the “vulnerable” class – I feel very safe. I’ve ridden 1100 miles since Jan 1.

It is nice seeing the many smiles of folks walking their dogs, kids etc… Many more times than in different circumstances. I guess there may be a feeling of camaraderie amongst residents in getting out for fresh air during this challenging time.

If they go to mandatory quarantine – I will have to hop on the Schwinn Airdyne in the upstairs bedroom to get my workout in.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Categories

Looking for RIDES

RAGBRAI XLVII – 2019

RAGBRAI XLVIII – 2020

RAGBRAI XLVI – 2018

Training

RAGBRAI XLV – 2017

RAGBRAI XLIV – 2016

Gatherings & Meetings

Lost and Found

Miscellaneous

RAGBRAI XLIII – 2015