Not to minimize this pandemic, but to my way of thinking riding right now may be the perfect therapy…both physical and emotional. A few thoughts guide this opinion:
1) We are being told to maintain social distance (which I’m heeding). Unless you are doing a group ride, this is kind of automatic.
2) Many business are asking that employees work from home. For myself, I’m attending many daily meetings and most are “listen only”. I can easily get a 1 to 2 hour ride in during my work-day now.
3) A side bonus is that the roads are less congested with fewer folks commuting and making unnecessary trips by car. Might be the safest time to ride on the roads in many years.
4) This virus hits those with underlying respiratory issues most, so the converse is that the more healthy your respiratory system is the easier it will be to recover if you do contract it. Thus, exercise is essential.
5) I certainly hope not, but it’s possible that we may enter a period where we are only permitted to be out of our homes in emergency situations. And even a mild case (which most are) requires you to self-quarantine for a couple of weeks. So if you are currently healthy, ride now while you can.
6) This is an incredibly stressful time for everyone. Being cooped up inside is depressing. Watching the latest news and the financial markets in free-fall is awful. Stress and depression is a really unhealthy combination. For me anyway, fresh air and getting outside my bike is a major stress reliever.
Be safe all. We will come through this. This is really hard, but mostly I think we all want everyone to be as safe and healthy as possible. I am not an epidemiologist by any stretch…and I could be completely wrong about what I said above, so I welcome any/all opinions, dissenting or otherwise.