The Register's Annual Great Bicycle Ride Across Iowa

Gifts for host families

We are staying at host homes this year. We will be camping in their yards. We were wondering what some of you have done in the past to show your gratitude to the host.

7 Replies

Dueywife, July 20, 2016 at 3:54 pm

Last year we left $15 gift cards to Dairy Queen for our host families with a thank you. I hope they appreciated them 🙂

Marla Shifflett, July 20, 2016 at 8:03 pm

Tea towel :)

We’ll be leaving a stitched tea towel and a jar of homemade preserves with $20 (because we are using their electricity). We do know the families we’ll be staying with this year. I’m looking forward to reading this forum and seeing what others do for host families. Thanks!

RoyBoy, July 21, 2016 at 8:07 am

For the overnight stays with a host family, everyone chips in the amount they would have paid for shower service if the team uses their shower(s). Many host families refuse to accept the money so we put the money in an envelope with a note saying if they do not want or need the money then to donate it to their favorite charity. Some hosts supply food and drink and we make sure they are compensated for that too.

Tom Young, July 21, 2016 at 9:57 am

Great ideas. Many of he people who have hosted us over the years are still on our christmas card list. When we stay at a home, we will treat them to a meal, that we make, and clean up after. I’ll take a photo of them with us as a group, and send them a framed copy after the week. Also, I usually have the camera on the ready so I will often find a neat photo on the ride into their town, or on the way out that I might send them. I have never had anyone accept money from me. Also, in a lot of smaller town papers, thank notes in the paper are pretty nice also.

HillsAngels1, July 21, 2016 at 10:39 am

We give them a framed photo of the group, 2 custom pint glasses with our team logo on them and a signed thanked card

Scott, July 21, 2016 at 11:18 am

thank you card with cash

spoolbak, July 22, 2016 at 2:34 pm

There is a non-profit in Tucson called Ben’s Bells. Their motto is “Be Kind”, we have done wind chimes from the organization because it all fits well.

https://bensbells.org/

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Categories

Looking for RIDES

RAGBRAI XLVII – 2019

RAGBRAI XLVI – 2018

Training

RAGBRAI XLV – 2017

RAGBRAI XLIV – 2016

Gatherings & Meetings

Lost and Found

Miscellaneous

RAGBRAI XLIII – 2015

RAGBRAI XLII – 2014