Register for day passes through June 1, 2022!

Gluten Free Eating on the ride

I have just been put on a gluten free diet. Wonder how difficult it will be to follow that during the ride given the amount of high carb foods offered. Can’t survive on pork chops alone.

Anyone found good ways of dealing with this on past RAGBRAI’s??

42 Replies

Juan Medium Moose, March 17, 2016 at 10:56 pm

My two adult children are both gluten free, so I have been paying some attention over the past two years. I would love to ride RAGBRAI with my kids some year.

Two years ago, there was a woman who ran a stand that provided gluten-free snacks. If I recall correctly, she had started running the stand as a way to support family members who were riding. I saw the stand a few times; she said that she wasn’t able to run it every day. I believe I saw the stand last year as well.

If you are full-on celiac or otherwise highly sensitive to gluten, then it will be important for you to manage your foods carefully. If you’re on a charter, see if you can give the charter an extra (separate) food supply to carry for you. In the larger towns, you will probably be able to find safe foods in grocery stores and such.

Much depends on how sensitive you are. My kids can’t eat at many restaurants because even the smallest amount of flour cross-contamination will make them sick for days.

This topic has been raised in years past. Here’s an example: https://ragbrai.com/forums/topic/are-there-gluten-free-options-on-ragbrai-looking-for-advise-here/

jwsknk, March 18, 2016 at 8:21 am

Carbo-Hut and Garden of Eden, I know they do vegetarian and vegan meals along the route everyday, don’t know about gluten free.

Nate Kitterman, March 20, 2016 at 8:14 am

Good Luck! I am also gluten-free and have ridden RAGBRAI twice, and eating is challenging. Most all of your breakfast food stands are off-limits – but you can ask for just bacon/sausage. The pie/church food/carnival food on-a-stick is off limits. Restaurants are tough to get into anyway, but Mexican and steak house(s) are a good point to get gluten-free fair. The biggest disappointment is not being able to enjoy the pies and other homemade food offered. But, don’t give up – it can be done and it is definitely worth it.

Jason Stoller, March 20, 2016 at 10:45 am

Is it really that complicated? If you are really Gluten Free, then you already know what you can eat and not eat. If there is something you shouldn’t eat don’t eat it! If something you know you can eat, then eat it! If it’s something that is questionable, then ask a question or avoid it to be on the safe side. It’s really no different then if you were at home or anywhere else. For God Sakes you are only Participating in Ragbrai and it’s in ” IOWA ” not outer space. There are going to be regular stores where you can find food along the way. Make sure you buy some Gluten Free snacks when you get to you overnight towns. That way you will be prepared in case you get hungry and cannot find something to your liking.

Jason

Michrider !!!, March 20, 2016 at 12:18 pm

ComicDom1 “The Hase Whisperer”: Is it really that complicated? If you are really Gluten Free, then you already know what you can eat and not eat. If there is something you shouldn’t eat don’t eat it! If something you know you can eat, then eat it! If it’s something that is questionable, then ask a question or avoid it to be on the safe side. It’s really no different then if you were at home or anywhere else. For God Sakes you are only Participating in Ragbrai and it’s in ” IOWA ” not outer space. There are going to be regular stores where you can find food along the way. Make sure you buy some Gluten Free snacks when you get to you overnight towns. That way you will be prepared in case you get hungry and cannot find something to your liking.
Jason

Jason, That’s your best advice, Really?????

T. Gap Woo, March 20, 2016 at 1:02 pm

: Anyone found good ways of dealing with this on past RAGBRAI’s??

Welcome to the rolling 3-ring circus/Mardi Gras that is RAGBRAI!!!! Glad to have you with us. Check out the RAGBRAI 2013, 2014 and 2015 topics. It may take some digging, but I seem to recall several threads in each of those topics that deal with gluten-free diets. Good luck!

See you along the I-O-Way in July.

Jason Stoller, March 20, 2016 at 6:39 pm

Michrider, did you have some better advice? If so I do not see it posted! Wait, maybe you just an opportunity to post for your favorite charter like you normally do year after year which has nothing to do with the topic or the question asked.

The advice that was given was solid and based on common sense. What would this person do if they were at home. They would take the list or outline of foods, that their personal doctor provided them with and follow it. To make it even easier so you can understand, a person can start by avoiding bread, pasta, and other wheat based foods. It not Rocket Science.

Fortunately as my has clearly stated they are going to Iowa, not Space! So the food available to them in Iowa should be pretty similar to what they have available to them where they live. After all they do have Convenient Stores and Grocery Stores in Iowa don’t?

Michrider, how hard is it to find a Salad in Iowa? Even Subway and McDonald’s Serve Salads! Lets not forget Meats, Vegetables, and Fruits unless there is going to be a shortage of those in Iowa this year.

If that happens we are all in trouble.

Any comments Michrider?

Jason

Jason Stoller, March 20, 2016 at 6:50 pm

Michrider, did you have some better advice? If so I do not see it posted! Wait, maybe you just missed an opportunity to post a plug for your favorite charter like you normally do year after year which has nothing to do with the topic or the question asked.

The advice that was given was solid and based on common sense. What would this person do if they were at home. They would take the list or outline of foods, that their personal doctor provided them with and follow it. To make it even easier so you can understand, a person can start by avoiding bread, pasta, and other wheat based foods. It not Rocket Science.

As for what they should eat when going to Ragbrai they can take their list with them. This is the middle of March and Ragbrai takes place at the end of July, they have plenty of time to learn what to eat and what not to eat prior to coming to Ragbrai.

Fortunately as my wife has clearly stated “They are going to Iowa, not Space!” So the food available to them in Iowa should be pretty similar to what they have available to them where they live. After all they do have Convenient Stores and Grocery Stores in Iowa don’t they?

Michrider, how hard is it to find a Salad in Iowa? Even Subway and McDonald’s Serve Salads! Lets not forget Meats, Vegetables, and Fruits unless there is going to be a shortage of those in Iowa this year.

If that happens we are all in trouble.

Any comments Michrider?

Jason

Jason Stoller, March 20, 2016 at 6:52 pm

Sorry about the double post. I went back to correct my spelling and grammar and the system would not allow me to edit for some reason. The second post is the corrected version

Nate Kitterman, March 20, 2016 at 7:52 pm

To anyone replying to JRobison regarding the initial question regarding gluten-free, you may want to make certain you can ‘walk the walk’ if you are going to ‘talk the talk’. Yes it is common sense and it is Iowa not outer space, but good luck finding GF food at a convenience store. And as for the salads at fast food restaurants, even some of their dressings are not gluten-free, let alone the salad itself.
JRobison you will be fine – as long as you don’t love beer and pie – just take the above advice and follow your list and heavy on the fruits and vegetables. Of course white wine, bloody Marys, and Margarita’s are all GF and they make RAGBRAI a whole lot of fun! RIDE RIGHT

Jason Stoller, March 20, 2016 at 10:56 pm

Hipwr1 you do not have to walk the walk to talk the talk if you understand what Gluten Free is. Sometimes taking the time to educate yourself about a subject or condition goes a long way to understanding what’s necessary.

With that being said, many people can read these days. It is my hope that they use their reading talent to read the labels of the products they are considering buying whether they are in a Convenient or Grocery Store. Reading is even hand in fast food places such as Subway or Mc Donald’s. The Dressings you mention at the Fast Food places have labels on the them that a person can read. The those labels will tell a person who is concerned about being Gluten Free all they need to know.

So my advice stands and you appear to confirm that common sense tells you that Ragbrai is in Iowa and not Outer Space. You also seem to confirm that the advice I gave about following the list ( I suggested that the personal doctor probably provided) was a good idea.

So did you really offer anything different than what I did other than suggest that part of the advice I gave might not be accurate? I guess this post puts that to rest.

As far as I know Convenient Stores carry nuts, and many carry fruit. Bagged Nuts will have labels on them so if anything is added a person can tell, but I have yet to see a list of ingredients on a Banana or an Apple.

So I will repeat what I originally stated. This whole Gluten Free thing and Ragbrai has been made much more complicated than what it is.

A person could really make an argument that eating Gluten free while at Ragbrai was probably eating a pretty healthy diet while you were there.

Jason

Michrider !!!, March 21, 2016 at 6:59 am

ComicDom1 “The Hase Whisperer”: Michrider, did you have some better advice? If so I do not see it posted! Wait, maybe you just missed an opportunity to post a plug for your favorite charter like you normally do year after year which has nothing to do with the topic or the question asked.

Jason, of course you are correct! Pork Belly Ventures does offer gluten free alternatives. Thanks for reminding me!!!!

Megandoty, March 21, 2016 at 9:39 am

The original poster did state that he was “just put on a gluten free diet”. I’m sure OP was coming here for support from other GF riders.

Iowa Craft Beer Tent, March 21, 2016 at 12:47 pm

Jrobison, we plan to have a Cider available at each stop this year, if that helps any.

Steve
Iowa Craft Beer Tent

jeffreydennis, March 21, 2016 at 8:28 pm

Comic, advice that could have been given without being as ass (JMHO) about it.

Viewing 15 replies - 1 through 15 (of 42 total)

The forum ‘RAGBRAI XLIV – 2016’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Categories

RAGBRAI XLIX – 2022

RAGBRAI XLVIII – 2021

RAGBRAI XLVIII – 2020

Training

Gatherings & Meetings

Lost and Found

Miscellaneous

Clubs, Teams & Charters

Friends of RAGBRAI