RAGBRAI XLIX registration is now open!

Gluten free: Food options?

Hi everyone! I am celiac and need to eat gluten free. This is my first RAGBRAI. Should I bring some food for myself? Will there be food options for me in most towns? (Nothing breaded, with soy sauce, no rye, barley, malt etc.)

5 Replies

Jrobison, July 12, 2018 at 8:35 pm

Not riding this year. But in past there are several vendors that do peanut butter and jelly on GF bread. One vendor that does just GF items. A number of breakfast places that do a bowl for you. I bought GF hamburger buns at HyVee markets every few days and used those to get burgers, brats, etc. from vendors. There is of course lots of corn on the cob, ice cream and pork chops. So it takes a little looking around and I always carried some extra nutrition bars just in case I got stranded but I had little trouble.

Jennifer Gennari, July 13, 2018 at 5:44 am

Thank you! That is good to hear!

CharterOak DayOne, July 13, 2018 at 5:59 am

How about some awesome fried chicken in Charter Oak on Sunday, July 22? Staley’s Catering (recently voted Iowa’s best fried chicken in a KCCI online poll!) offers a GF version of their delicious fried chicken. They will be serving fried chicken tenders and drumsticks, along with other fare.

Charles Gerding, July 13, 2018 at 4:34 pm

It’s been my experience that many of the towns you ride through are serving your grill fare….hamburgers, hot dogs etc. You’ll have to go ‘bun free.’ I don’t recall seeing any GF at the many pie stands but I wasn’t asking either.

Peggy Kerr, July 13, 2018 at 7:39 pm

Tom’s Turkey legs. Salad bar at HyVee stores in the bigger towns. Eggs and breakfast meats at fire stations and other places advertising breakfast. Mr. Pork Chop is awesome! Carry nuts, paleo trail mix and Lara bars in your bike bag. Smoothie vendors have very nutritional offerings. Yogurt and fruit are widely available on the route.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Categories

RAGBRAI XLVIII – 2021

RAGBRAI XLVIII – 2020

Training

Gatherings & Meetings

Lost and Found

Miscellaneous

Clubs, Teams & Charters

Friends of RAGBRAI