The Register's Annual Great Bicycle Ride Across Iowa

Gluten free meals

My son in law , granddaughter who needs gluten free meals, and I are doing the ride. Any suggestions to meet her needs? Or host families who may serve a gluto free dinner meal?

4 Replies

helenheart, February 4, 2011 at 12:23 pm

Hi Ben

I believe you will be find on the ride sans gluten.
But judging by the grocery stores and the general availability, or lack thereof, of gluten-free products, my general impression is that the host families may be 
a little overwhelmed with such a ‘strange’ dietary request.
I could be wrong. (OK, probably not – just kidding!)
……………..sure hope you like corn and pork-chops. xo

helenheart, February 4, 2011 at 12:23 pm

ps – please excuse the avatar – it’s a toaster for gluten free eedjeets!

Mary, February 4, 2011 at 3:13 pm

The Peanut Butter Jam food stand has Udi’s bread for it’s sandwiches!  You just need to ask for it.  They are along the route every day.  Plenty of eggs, meat, fruit and veggies all along the route.  Outside of Waterloo last year, my daughter and I came upon a huge sign advertising homemade gluten free cookies and brownies, next right!!  We pulled in and had the BEST fresh homemade gluten free goodies ever.  All along the route, you will most likely find lots of homemade rice krispie bars.  For our big meal at night, my daughter and I avoided the pasta church dinners and  frequented Mexican restaurants for corn tortilla meals.  We ate a lot at the HyVee grocery stores also.  They have a very limited gluten free section, a decent deli, and lots of fresh foods.  A couple of very very patient, nice,  kind people at a couple of food stands in the towns along the route searched down the packages of the hot dogs they were serving so I could check and see if they were gluten free.  Some of them understood my questions because they too had gluten intolerant family members.  Your family will do fine!!

Tony, February 4, 2011 at 5:55 pm

I think you will be fine. We have riders in our group with the same condition. One carries Natures Valley Granola bars just in case. There are plenty of fruit and veggies along the route. Ask the vendors you will be OK.

The forum ‘RAGBRAI XXXIX – 2011’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Categories

Looking for RIDES

RAGBRAI XLVII – 2019

RAGBRAI XLVI – 2018

Training

RAGBRAI XLV – 2017

RAGBRAI XLIV – 2016

Gatherings & Meetings

Lost and Found

Miscellaneous

RAGBRAI XLIII – 2015

RAGBRAI XLII – 2014