Gluten Free options

Curious as to gluten free options on RAGBRAI… recently diagnosed with gluten intolerance, and a little concerned if options are available in towns through out each day. Anyone have insight from years past?

This topic was modified 6 months, 3 weeks ago by  Carol Godsey.

17 Replies

Larry Klaaren, April 26, 2019 at 9:30 am

Except for the tiny towns, there are not only the vendors, but restaurants and grocery stores and Casey’s. I have a restricted diet, being out of options did not occur. Fire halls and churches are selling meals in almost every town, and the volunteers who staff them will literally make something for you if it is not on their menu. They are just nice people. I also had some barbecue and pulled pork sandwiches without the bun just for an example. Lots of fruit for sale also, if that works for you.

bike4ragbrai, April 26, 2019 at 2:18 pm

just diaginose with stage 2 diabetes can control with diet. will sit down with dietitian Monday.
what can a person do to fuel there self in a carbo rich environment an staying away from sugar.
has to be other diabetics out here.

George A, April 26, 2019 at 6:50 pm

I am Gluten Free due to intolerance and am able to eat no problem. I typically bring rolls with me so I can have burgers, steak sandwiches, and other things that could use a roll at night. Most places are willing to toast the bun. During the day there are many things I find to eat and never seem to have a problem. I do bring bars that I can eat during the day but I did that before I was gluten-free. Gluten free pasta is very hard to find. I typically have a bar in the morning before leaving the overnight town, or along the way early on. I then find other food to add on. Last year there were two places to get gluten-free pie that I came across and probably more that I missed.

Ragbrai is a roll with the flow type of event and if you relax you will find what you need.

This reply was modified 6 months, 3 weeks ago by  George A.

Carol Godsey, April 26, 2019 at 8:07 pm

I have risen Ragbrai before and know there is an awesome array of food choices, but never had to pay attention to gluten free options! I will bring bars and some options with me! Thanks everyone!

Heidi Costello, April 27, 2019 at 9:19 am

Thanks for all of the information, I have Celiac and was getting worried. I now have a good plan!

ESchiers, April 29, 2019 at 3:45 pm

There was a salad vendor last year. Absolutely amazing salads– it’s likely not what you’re looking to eat on RAGBRAI but by Wednesday I’m usually sick of grease and carbs, so the greens are a welcome sight.

David Payne, April 30, 2019 at 5:52 pm

Pork chops are the answer.

Sharon Foster, May 1, 2019 at 3:12 pm

Please see my reply to other diabetics in the Diabetes discussion for more info.

I’m offering gluten-free, travel ready energy drink FREE samples. Visit my website to request free sample OR purchase 30 day supply with our 100% Money Back Guarantee!

https://RevitalU.com/sharonfoster

This reply was modified 6 months, 3 weeks ago by  Sharon Foster.

John, May 2, 2019 at 2:36 pm

It would be great to form a GF team, if only to have to daily food options. Maybe next year… 🤔

Pork chops are the answer.

Only if someone hasn’t sprinkled breadcrumbs on them. 🙃

Bruce Woodrow, July 4, 2019 at 10:20 pm

If they are back, Carbo Hut was usually set up in the Meeting Towns and had vegan options, like brown rice, veggies and tofu. Might work for Gluten Free.

Sarah Prudhomme, July 5, 2019 at 8:48 am

I second Carbo Hut! They sell a sweet potato, just a simple potato that you add butter to if you want, and it is the best! Totally fits your needs and will fill you up for the big ride!

Mark, July 9, 2019 at 1:52 pm

I’ve been gluten free for 5-7 years, ridden RAGBRAI most of those years. The above info is great and I’ll add that the pancakes (can’t remember the name) that set up each morning had gluten free cakes. All you had to do was ask before getting in line and they had them ready by the time you got to the grill. Always take my own bars for the daily food just in case. Porkchops are a good option as well. Beer can be a challenge and sometimes you’re stuck with Ciders but that’s life. Oh, and the Cookie Ice Cream vendor has an excellent FG version.

CarboHut, July 16, 2019 at 10:37 pm

We will be back again this year. All of our dishes are gluten free if you get the topping served over brown rice. Here are the meals we will be serving and the towns we will eat I :

Saturday at the Expo in Council Bluffs we will be serving Red Beans and rice (or noodles) with or without Sausage
Sunday we will be in the meeting town of Avoca serving Sweet & Sour Chicken or veggies
Monday we will be in the meeting town of Stuart serving Shrimp or Veggie Tuscana
Tuesday we will be in the meeting town of Norwalk serving Garlic Chili Chicken or Veggie
Wednesday we will be in the meeting town of Chariton serving Vegetable Beef (or no beef)
Thursday we will be in the meeting town of Bloomfield serving Teriyaki Chicken or Veggie
Friday we couldn’t get into the meeting town so will be in Houghton (5 miles down the road) serving Ground Beef or Veggie Marinara. We will have Tempeh as the protein alternative this day.
Saturday we will be in the meeting town of Donnellson serving Chicken (or veggie) & Noodles (or rice)

Additionally, we will have:
Mac & Cheese and Sweet potatoes daily.
We serve all natural, real fruit smoothies daily and have different flavors throughout the week. You can add protein powder to this is you choose.
We usually have tofu as a protein alternative except as indicated above.
This year I have purchased some black beans and am planning to serve it as a side maybe a couple of days (we’ll see how is works out). I haven’t yet decided which days, so stop by and check.

We hope to see all of you again this year!

Ride on!

Carbo Hut

Carol Godsey, July 17, 2019 at 8:21 am

Thanks Carbo Hut! Sounds awesome!

Stacy Orndorff, July 17, 2019 at 8:49 am

Our Steak & Eggs Breakfast Bowl is Gluten-Free as well as all of our coffee drinks (we make our own sauces, so we know everything in them).

We will be in the following locations:
Sunday: Underwood
Monday: Anita
Tuesday: Iowa Ag Oasis
Wednesday: Lake Ahquabi State Park: Izaac Walton League
Thursday: OC Trucking outside West Grove
Friday: Stockport
Saturday: Middletown

See you Soon!

Coffee & Nosh

Viewing 15 replies - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Categories

Looking for RIDES

RAGBRAI XLVII – 2019

RAGBRAI XLVIII – 2020

RAGBRAI XLVI – 2018

Training

RAGBRAI XLV – 2017

RAGBRAI XLIV – 2016

Gatherings & Meetings

Lost and Found

Miscellaneous

RAGBRAI XLIII – 2015