gluten free

Hi, 

I have known about RAGBRAI since about 1980, always wanted to go, but life got in the way.  Now my youngest 17 year old, wants to join me, so it looks like next year is the year!
She has Celiacs, an immune problem with gluten. I realize that a great part of the ride is the food, I’d like it to be a great food trip for her too. I am interested in knowing if there are any others who are planing on riding next year who already have gluten free ride knowledge, don’t need to reinvent the wheel.
Best yet would be any groups, clubs, charters who cook their own gluten free.  
I am by my own modest acknowledgement, a great cook, and willing to pitch in.

7 Replies

coachdeb, August 28, 2011 at 3:34 pm

Hi jsm,
Congratulations on your decision to join RAGBRAI next year! I can help you with your daughter’s dietary restrictions. We take special gluten-free supplements with us that form the bulk of our food and water.  Everything is super easy and delicious, simply mix with water. Our nutritional needs are met and we can still enjoy some of  the treats RAGBRAI has to offer.
You can email me at deborah.lynn.williamson@gmail.com
Good luck,
Coach Deb

“Bicycle Bill”, August 29, 2011 at 1:36 am

Hi “Coach”:
Three posts in three weeks — all touting some product that you coincidentally happen to sell.
There’s a word for that sort of thing:

(and the only reason I didn’t say anything until now is because my computer wasn’t working at the beginning of August)

-“BB”-

Blumblebees, August 29, 2011 at 12:49 pm

When I did RAGBRAI 11 years ago I was a vegetarian and had no problems finding things to eat. Not the same but just wanted to say that there is a huge variety of food on RAGBRAI. You will find corn, bananas, watermelon, meats of all kinds, ice cream etc. As I’m sure she is already used to when it doubt about what is used to make something just ask. I know someone with celiac disease and she can’t even use the same knife and butter if someone butters their toast with it. There are also plenty of supermarkets and mini marts in the towns you can stop in and grab things.  Pack some things that she can eat in the morning just in case she doesn’t find anything in the first town or two to eat. I don’t know of any charters that have special dietary things going on but if you can get someone to drive support vehicle you can always rent an RV with  mini kitchen. Then you can do morning and evening meals there and she can get the rest of her food on the road. Good luck!

Blumblebees, August 29, 2011 at 12:58 pm

found this for you https://ragbrai.com/forums/topic/gluten-free-meals

The forum ‘RAGBRAI XXXIX – 2011’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Categories

Looking for RIDES

RAGBRAI XLVII – 2019

RAGBRAI XLVIII – 2020

RAGBRAI XLVI – 2018

Training

RAGBRAI XLV – 2017

RAGBRAI XLIV – 2016

Gatherings & Meetings

Lost and Found

Miscellaneous

RAGBRAI XLIII – 2015