RAGBRAI LI Route Announced on Jan. 27!

G'night

Good night one and all.  Six months until we all join forces.  Sleep well!

46 Replies

JimmyMac, February 4, 2011 at 9:14 pm

Only six months?! I’m getting nervous.

knees36, February 6, 2011 at 10:36 pm

Thanks to Davey for starting up the g’night thread!!!  It’s been a g’day today and yesterday, just thinking about the last couple of days and how bad it might have been.  How so, you say???  Well,  the weather forecast called for a possible light rain turning to sleet or snow later on for Saturday during the BRR ride, so  I chose to wear my old Performance rain jacket even though the pockets are “shot.”  Better than nothing to shed some of that rain or sleet!   I left home Saturday morning while it was still dark, stopped at the local Casey’s before leaving town for a cup of “joe” and pastry.  I had three items to carry out of Casey’s…a hot cup of coffee, the pastry and my wallet…remember, no pockets in my old jacket or cycling tights.  I put the pastry and wallet on the top of my car, put the coffee in the cup holder, and then put the pastry in the car and took off!!!   It was still dark at the time, I made a sharp right out of Casey’s and another sharp right to get on the highway and headed for Perry…about 50+ miles straight south.  It was a very pleasant drive to Perry,  I watched a beautiful sunrise, listened to the radio, and pulled into Perry and the Rec Center, got out of the car, looked up and there was my wallet…STILL on the top of the car.  I was just aghast!!!  It had wedged itself under the wind deflector that goes across the top of the car to keep the wind noise down when the sunroof is open.  How could this have happened…how could  I be so dumb…how could  I be so lucky…how could  I have left my wallet on top of the car in the first place???  There are no words so harsh that I could come up with but “oh, s.h.*.*   for forgetting my wallet like that…no words so eloquent to express my thankfulness at not losing my wallet with the credit card, driver’s license and cash for the day…really, really saving the day in so many ways!!!  Upon looking back and analyzing this whole improbable scenario, it had to be the two right turns leaving Casey’s.  The wallet must have slid down into the wind deflector and sunroof area when  I made the right turns and just stayed secured there all the way to Perry.  Otherwise that wallet could have been anywhere from Fort Dodge to Perry, some 50+ miles of roadway!!!  So, my fine cycling friends,  I really, really enjoyed my day riding in the snowy country-side up to Rippey and back…and  I really, really enjoyed the ride back to Dodge…looking at my wallet in the cup holder every now and then and thanking those right turns I made and the providence that sometimes comes one’s way even when they might not earn it.  I think it’s time to retire that old Performance jacket to a less responsible role, maybe buy a new jacket for cycling (any suggestions on a rain jacket you have liked and would recommend) and to always  RIDE RIGHT…figuratively speaking.  So a special “G’night” to SFC JKL2 and RoyBoy and to all of those just looking through the RAG forum this evening.  Thankful in so many ways, Knees.

“Bicycle Bill”, February 7, 2011 at 1:05 am

EPIC WIN in the karma department, kneesie!!

-“BB”-

Michrider !!!, February 7, 2011 at 4:22 am

JimmyMac said: Only six months?! I’m getting nervous.

Time to start packing?  Maybe next week!

Sandaltan ., February 7, 2011 at 6:34 pm

Something with zippered pockets would be nice for you Knees.    The arms zipper off my jacket to make a vest which I kinda like.  A Pearl Izumi with two zipper side pockets, a zipper chest pocket and two inside “kinda pockets” of netting.

RIDE RIGHT

SFC JKL 2, February 7, 2011 at 9:09 pm

I have a performance rain coat so I guess I wouldn’t be much help.  I rarely wear it so it will probably last forever.   Saw the pro team on all their shiny new De Rosa’s coming down crown mountain this morning.  I guess they’re warming up for our recreation ride on Saturday :-)

helenheart, February 8, 2011 at 1:00 am

Knees – Please tell me you bought a lottery ticket???? xo

knotbury, February 8, 2011 at 1:43 am

And good mornin’ from us!

knees36, February 8, 2011 at 7:58 pm

helenheart said: Knees – Please tell me you bought a lottery ticket???? xo

Now, HH, keeping my wallet under the BRR ride circumstances would very likely be the end of any luck  I could claim!!!  It would still be as empty as ever if  I played the lottery…probably even more empty!!!  Hmmm…but it  is a thought…what really is the extent of my luck??? 

knees36, February 8, 2011 at 8:00 pm

knotbury said: And good mornin’ from us!

And just about now…a g’mornin’ to you in merry England!!!

“Bicycle Bill”, February 9, 2011 at 2:28 am

knees36 said:

Now, HH, keeping my wallet under the BRR ride circumstances would very likely be the end of any luck  I could claim!!!  It would still be as empty as ever if  I played the lottery…probably even more empty!!!  Hmmm…but it  is a thought…what really is the extent of my luck??? 

There’s a story about the guy who, every night without fail, prayed and prayed that he would win the lottery …. and every time, he was disappointed.  But he kept up his faith and continued to pray.

Finally, one day, his pleas were answered.  He had just finished his prayers when lightning flashed, thunder rolled, and he heard a deep, sonorous voice addressing him:  “I have been willing to answer your prayers, but I can’t do anything if you don’t at least meet me partway.  You gotta go out and buy a ticket!!”

-“BB”-

knees36, February 9, 2011 at 11:43 am

“Bicycle Bill” said:

knees36 said:

There’s a story about the guy who, every night without fail, prayed and prayed that he would win the lottery …. and every time, he was disappointed.  But he kept up his faith and continued to pray. Finally, one day, his pleas were answered.  He had just finished his prayers when lightning flashed, thunder rolled, and he heard a deep, sonorous voice addressing him:  “I have been willing to answer your prayers, but I can’t do anything if you don’t at least meet me partway.  You gotta go out and buy a ticket!!”-“BB”-

Ya’ think?  Maybe there’s something to that after all.

knees36, February 9, 2011 at 12:34 pm

Thanks for posting ST and SFC (stands for Sargeant First Class???) regarding getting a new rain jacket.  My next step will be to see what’s new in the Spring~2011 catalogues and make a choice then.  My old Performance jacket was a good one in its day, so  I’ll go to Performance first to see what they’re offering.  I’ve also been impressed with clothing from Rivendell (wool)  and from Adventure Cyclists…so the shopping will be fun and wide open.  Again, thanks.

knees36, June 1, 2011 at 10:23 pm

Davy Sprocket said: Good night one and all.  Six months until we all join forces.  Sleep well!

Thanks to Davey for starting up the G’night thread again early in our 2011 year.  I’ll try to come up with an occasional “story” that pertains specifically to RAGBRAI (and any other rider is welcome to include their “stories” as well) for our late night entertainment.  

This little story occurred in early March…I just am now getting around to share it with you fine folk.  I’m wondering if anything like the coming story has ever happened on RAGBRAI.  One evening, quite late,  I decided to visit a local laundromat to wash clothes, so  I tossed the laundry into my basket and headed out to my favorite spot.  It looked empty so  I figured  I’d be all alone tonight doing my washing.  As  I walked in through the door I saw a young lady sitting on a ledge above one of the top loaders with her feet in washing machine!!!  She explained rather hastily that she was just changing light bulbs.  Yea…right!!!  Who’d purposely sit with her feet in water and change light bulbs???  Plus…the nearest light bulb was about 10 feet away and it was lit up like a Christmas tree!!!  Now, it didn’t take a rocket scientist to see what she was doing…washing her feet in the washing machine for cyring out loud.  And…it didn’t take any time at all to “light up my bulb” to see what was going on!!!  This was a new one to me…and  I’m wondering if something like has ever occured on RAGBRAI!!!  What say ye??? 

It’s with a g’night to each reader tonight that  I share this story.  And a g’night to each of you this fair evening.  Just a little over seven  weeks and we’ll be on the road together…with stinky or clean feet.  Cheers.  Knees. 

Michrider !!!, June 2, 2011 at 5:05 am

Knees, WWJWD (what would John Walton do)???????

Viewing 15 replies - 1 through 15 (of 46 total)

The forum ‘RAGBRAI XXXIX – 2011’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Categories

RAGBRAI L – 2023

RAGBRAI XLIX – 2022

RAGBRAI XLVIII – 2021

Training

Gatherings & Meetings

Lost and Found

Miscellaneous

Clubs, Teams & Charters

Friends of RAGBRAI