The Great Iowa Fall Ride registration is open!

GPS Bus tracker?

I’m looking for a solution to have a GPS tracker on my bus so that everyone on my team will know its location at all times. Has anyone got something like this working? I see a lot of trackers you can buy to track your vehicle but I need to have this available to all members on my team, not just one person. Also if there was a way to allow/disallow members to track the bus as well, that would be great.

17 Replies

Joseph Schlau, March 13, 2022 at 6:09 am

Another poster on this thread, Direwolf, mentioned the Garmin Inreach family of satellite communicators. Both devices appear to have the ability to locate your position via satellite, then through a website, re-broadcast the gps position via cellular towers to authorized recipients with cell phones. Ultimately, it still depends on the bikes meeting the bus to have a cellular connection at some point.

Where the Spot/Inreach systems would be better is a location where the bus parks in a no cellular service area. They will still transmit the parked location of the bus and as long as the bikes receive this location while in a cellular service area, they can see the bus on their map. Both Spot and Garmin Inreach require the purchase of a special device. Both require an activation fee and depending on the service plan, a contract for monthly or annual service. This is fine if you continue to use the device. Pricey if you just using for RAGBRAI week.

ThomasNye, March 13, 2022 at 7:34 am

We share our location with our iPhones so we know where the bus and everybody else is at all times as long as there is cell service. The android folks use Google maps and send their location with a text message.

Viewing 2 replies - 16 through 17 (of 17 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Categories

RAGBRAI XLIX – 2022

RAGBRAI XLVIII – 2021

RAGBRAI XLVIII – 2020

Training

Gatherings & Meetings

Lost and Found

Miscellaneous

Clubs, Teams & Charters

Friends of RAGBRAI