GPX Files?

Any ideas on when they might be posted?
Website says in July, well here we are more than a week in and just two weeks to the event.
I would like to get them into my Garmin.

13 Replies

Jim Martin, July 14, 2021 at 10:36 pm

Still not seeing gpx files posted.
I am not encouraged.
I did see some from earlier in the year posted on Ridewithgps, but I do see some differences.
Looks like I might be trying to make my own this weekend.

Matt, July 15, 2021 at 8:15 am

Yes, a keyword search in RidewithGPS “RAGBRAI 2021” does find several. A team called Anthem Sports has some very accurate ones including with and without the gravel and Karras loops. There is no negativity in this next question, because I am genuinely curious. Why? I certainly use these when planning routes at home, but on RAGBRAI there is no hope of getting lost even if you try. ;-) The miles and miles of riders in a line, passing any given spot for hours is hard (dare I say impossible) to miss. Unless someone plans to be out before or after scheduled riding hours, you won’t need a route guidance app. If the purpose is to see the hills long before you get there, save yourself the dread. The hills will be there waiting no matter what. Personally I don’t want to know about them until they are in front of me because short moments later they are fading into memory without the preceding worries. The mileage given between towns on the RAGBRAI maps is accurate. Do plan for several extra based on where your campgrounds are. Divide the mileage for the day by the hours you’ll ride (start at 7am & get 11 hrs if finishing @ 6pm) 70÷11= 6.4 mph and just make sure you have that many more miles behind you each hour. Enjoy the towns, people, food, refreshments, and have fun. See you in 10 days! Enjoy!

Brian Reed, July 15, 2021 at 10:53 am

Because on most devices you can plan your effort by looking ahead on your GPS. Plan the hills properly for your effort understand the mileage between breaks. Not sure it is really needed, but most are creature of habit and like to look down at their bike computer and get as much information as possible, not just of where you have been, but what is ahead.

KenH, July 15, 2021 at 11:16 am

Why? Because GPS is right there on my handlebar stem, far more convenient than the RAGBRAI maps and far easier to use. Will the RAGBRAI maps tell you how many miles are left before the next turn will give you some respite from this blasted headwind? Will they tell you how many miles to Mr Porkchop or Beekmans? Do they have notes on what vendors are in what towns or what sights there are to see there? Nah, they don’t do any of that but my GPS can. I don’t need it but it is very nice to have and this is the 21st century, not the 19th!

There will be some excellent laminated route maps available at the Expo. I always grab a set if there are any left when I get there. They are nice to have but you generally see at least one set of them strewn across the road by the time you have gone a mile out of the start town and you will continue to see them all week tapering off in frequency only because so many have already dropped theirs by week’s end. Most people’s bike computers are much more securely attached to their bikes. I like having both but if I can only have one make mine GPS, please!

Jim Martin, July 15, 2021 at 11:38 am

No worries of getting lost or anything.
I guess I’m just into the data and knowing how far to go and what is upcoming.

Matt, July 15, 2021 at 11:46 am

Thanks for satisfying my curiosity. While not worried about the in between I completely understand the creature of habit and have totally determined the route into each town to camp in case I miss our charter’s signage. I’ve also looked into food and drink in passthroughs.
Hey Ken where do you find info on exact locations of chops and ice cream, etc? That’d be great!

CyclingCyclone, July 15, 2021 at 12:29 pm

If you have a Strava account, you can go, and look at the route by those who did the pre-ride ride or whatever they call it last month, and create the same route to your account, then upload it to your gps computer.

Nicholas Provenzo, July 17, 2021 at 6:08 pm

Go to the “Town Pages” part of the RAGBRAI website. For each town, you’ll see a “Download GPX” icon. Click and save.

Example: Here’s the link for Le Mars: https://ragbrai.com/route-maps/le-mars/

scottydog, July 17, 2021 at 7:42 pm

Dont start at Lemars. Download from the overnight towns.

KenH, July 17, 2021 at 9:56 pm

I believe that both Mr Porkchop and Beekmans have their locations on their websites.

Jim Martin, July 17, 2021 at 11:25 pm

I swear I was looking yesterday or day before.
Pretty late in the game to post those up.
I have sooo much to do before I leave on Friday.
Plus about two weeks of work to do in 4 days.

LawnchairMan, July 18, 2021 at 12:08 pm

I actually got lost a couple of times. The first time was in 2013 (I think). I was out early and missed a sign. I joined about five others who did the same. We may have added two miles to the route. The other was in 2017 where I thought the riders ahead were just turning into a food area. People behind me followed and since I saw them in my mirror, I thought I was going the right way. We got six extra miles that day. Now I study the routes and use Google street view as much as I can.

This reply was modified 2 months ago by LawnchairMan.

WIIANC, July 19, 2021 at 9:02 am

It is hard to read a paper map in the dark, but pretty obvious when the computer blinks red or green for leaving/joining the route, e.g. per brewhaha bar guide, campsite, grocery store, etc.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Categories

RAGBRAI XLVIII – 2021

RAGBRAI XLVIII – 2020

Training

Gatherings & Meetings

Lost and Found

Miscellaneous

Clubs, Teams & Charters

Friends of RAGBRAI