RAGBRAI LI Weeklong and Day Passes available until 7/5!

Gran Fondo ?

During the Route Announcement Party I believe I heard someone telling that there would be a “Gran Fondo” style ride on the Saturday just prior to RAGBRAI.  And, if I heard right, the Fondo ride will end in Souix Center.  Anyone know anything about this ??  My google searching does not turn up anything.

22 Replies

David Elkow, February 2, 2012 at 8:33 pm

Found it!  At iGranFondo.com.  Has this been done before?  Anyone with experience to share here?

bicycle dad, February 2, 2012 at 10:14 pm

Sioux City is putting it on is all I know at this time. You can like it on facebook and you will get updates.

busymike, February 2, 2012 at 10:47 pm

if the medium ride allows for transportation of my gear to the start of ragbrai, i might be down for this. but then finding a ride to sioux city early might be difficult

gas gas, February 4, 2012 at 7:51 am

<script language=”JavaScript” type=”text/javascript” src=”http://pix04.revsci.net/E05511/a4/0/0/pcx.js?csid=E05511″></script&gt;

Sioux Center may have been picked as RAGBRAI’s starting point, but Sioux City’s trying to steal that thunder.

Sioux City proved to be successful in hosting the big event back in July 2010. So, why not form its own mini-RAGBRAI?

It’s being called “Gran Fondo.” Held the day before RAGBRAI on Saturday, July 21st, the bike race will leave from Sioux City and head to Sioux Center.

There will be 3 different stages for bicyclists of all expertise: A 30-mile ride, an almost 60-mile ride and a 100-mile ride. The purpose?

City of Sioux City’s Melissa Lanzourakis said, “It’s kind of to get people to Sioux City. People are coming to Iowa from all over the world, and we just want to get them to Sioux City first before they get to the first RAGBRAI town.”

Registration begins February 10th.

You can register at igranfondo.com. You can also find iGranFondo on Facebook and Twitter.

jwsknk, February 4, 2012 at 10:56 am

So, with all cars, trucks, and busses trying to get in and out of Sioux Center. Most of which will probibly be coming up 29 through Sioux City then nortn on 75. They want to add 30, 60 , & 100 mile bike rides in the area?

gas gas, February 4, 2012 at 11:09 am

and it will only cost you $ 35 or $55 or $ 99 . more power to em but I do not see a whole lot of folks doing this .

Papa T, February 4, 2012 at 5:50 pm

I’m not doing this ride, but I think it is awesome.  it seems to me, back here in chicago that  the crazyist riders in iowa are in souix City.  Remember they were the people who built Souix City on Rock and Roll

toadhead, February 5, 2012 at 3:05 am

I was thinking about the Gran Fondo, but that means getting out a day early and adding the logistics of getting my stuff moved an extra time and how to get to Sioux City….  For someone coming from Illinois, I would rather see this be the day after along the eastern edge of the state….  (It might also entice a few more people to hang out in the finish town an extra night….)  From what I was reading the other day, the plan is to do this every year, starting in Sioux City and ending wherever RAGBRAI starts….

“Bicycle Bill”, February 5, 2012 at 3:56 am

Well, I’m sure the idea of a 100-mile timed event will play well with the Lance wannabes who always seem to show up on RAGBRAI.  You know the ones; they’re the people in the 30-mph draft lines always hanging out in the left-hand lane, expecting everyone — including oncoming traffic — to give way to them.

And if anything, maybe it will take a little wind out of their sails so that they can ride like normal people the rest of the week.

-“BB”-

“Bicycle Bill”, February 5, 2012 at 5:43 am

Just another thought that came to me — if, as toadhead says, Sioux City is going to shoehorn itself onto the RAGBRAI route every year with this “Gran Fondo” thing, I think we can safely assume that RAGBRAI will never “officially” start in Sioux City again.

-“BB”-

gas gas, February 5, 2012 at 10:41 am

Gran Fondo uses RAGBRAI on their web page so maybe the DMR approves of this ride . because DMR protects the RAGBRAI name as much

Use of the RAGBRAI® Name

Simply put, you cannot print RAGBRAI on your team’s shirts or jerseys. Illegal use of the these protected marks can lead to confiscation of non-permitted jerseys, t-shirts and other items.

Legal restrictions exist for the use of the RAGBRAI® name, marks and logos. Vendors are not allowed to use the name “RAGBRAI®” or any derivative thereof without written permission from The Des Moines Register. The marks and names RAGBRAI® and Register’s Annual Great Bicycle Ride Across Iowa™ are and shall be the exclusive property of The Des Moines Register and Tribune Company. Both the RAGBRAI and RIDE RIGHT® logos are registered trademarks, and therefore cannot be used without prior written permission of The Des Moines Register.

Only official RAGBRAI bicycle shops and the Friends of RAGBRAI have limited permission to use these marks on t-shirts, ads, etc. Permission for all other uses must come from RAGBRAI. We will take enforcement action against those found using any of the above marks without written permission. as they can .

Tony, February 5, 2012 at 11:25 am

Ah yes, Sioux City the town that put Kybo’s a 1/4 mile from campsites.

Sandaltan ., February 5, 2012 at 1:58 pm

I really like Sioux City as a start town, I have always had a good time there…….and we will start there again, of that, I am positive.

RIDE RIGHT

jwsknk, February 5, 2012 at 3:33 pm

We have some people from out of state that do a century or more Friday before loading bikes up. Of course these same people do the PBP too so it is a good teaing ride for qualifying for that.

gas gas, February 5, 2012 at 3:41 pm

but are they willing to pay $ 99 ?

Viewing 15 replies - 1 through 15 (of 22 total)

The forum ‘RAGBRAI XL – 2012’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Categories

RAGBRAI L – 2023

RAGBRAI XLIX – 2022

RAGBRAI XLVIII – 2021

Training

Gatherings & Meetings

Lost and Found

Miscellaneous

Clubs, Teams & Charters