Gratitude!

It’s so heartwarming to see all the “looking for rides” posts popping up again. OMG, this is really going to happen! The past 12 months have been horrific. We lost friends, family and in some cases jobs. But it really feels like it’s lifting…finally. Getting RAGBRAI back has been such a mood changer, and I think the right decision.

Some thank you’s are in order. Thank you to all those front line health care workers who got us through the worst of the dark times. Thank you to those responsible for getting vaccines developed, tested, approved and distributed in record time. Thank you fellow citizens for taking this virus seriously and taking the necessary precautions. Thank you small businesses for toughing it out and figuring out how to adapt in order to stay afloat. Thank you overnight and pass-through towns for trusting us enough to give RAGBRAI the go-ahead. And thank you to Dieter, Andrea and the whole RAGBRAI team for holding it together and not letting this wonderful tradition slip away.

We are riding in 2021, and the sense of gratitude I am feeling now is overwhelming. I can’t wait!

5 Replies

Amanda, March 15, 2021 at 10:28 am

Great post! My mood is definitely better! Thanks so much RAGBRAI peeps!

Uncle Kraig, March 15, 2021 at 12:05 pm

I will second that. In a world and year full of troubled times, we have a lot to be thankful for. See you in July!

Randall Murphy, March 15, 2021 at 12:28 pm

I agree wholeheartedly but let’s not do a victory lap just yet. In addition to continuing to follow all of the guidelines before the ride, we may/will have to get behind masks or distancing or some other pain in the ass that might not make this years ride exactly like the past. But the view is definitely worth the climb. I am committing to adhering to this years new rules, if there are any, as my way of honoring all of those that have given much, much more to even make this years ride possible. In the meantime I’m excited too. See you in July.

Chris, March 16, 2021 at 5:25 pm

” But the view is definitely worth the climb”

Damn right!
Our worlds may never look exactly the same as before. That’s ok, change is life. The fact that we will have Summer Camp for Adults this year helps. A lot.

John Chrun, March 18, 2021 at 8:03 pm

Looking forward to my second RAGBRAI! But, what will be the rules? If the ambience is greatly diminished it will be for naught. I can stay at home and do a virtual ride for much less money if there will be no “atmosphere”. I have routes where I can go out 40 or 30 or 25 miles and then double back. I would ask RAGBRAI to quickly inform us of the rules before I commit to a charter.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Categories

RAGBRAI XLVIII – 2021

RAGBRAI XLVIII – 2020

Training

Gatherings & Meetings

Lost and Found

Miscellaneous

Clubs, Teams & Charters

Friends of RAGBRAI