RAGBRAI LI Route Announced on Jan. 27!

Gravel Loop on Day 1

Greetings, does anyone have an idea on the composition of the Gravel Loop on Day 1 outside of Randolph? I am trying to get an idea how loose the gravel is along this loop. I’m fine with hard pack gravel and a little loose gravel for my road bike but if this loop is completely geared toward mountain, hybrid and fat tire bikes due to really loose gravel then I’ll just beg off on doing this loop.

Thanks for your thoughts on this.

Lou

5 Replies

KenH, July 19, 2016 at 3:59 pm

Most of us won’t know until Sunday. Someone here promised to ride the loop last weekend and report back but I haven’t noticed that report. Last year many of the loop riders were on road bikes and 23 mm tires so it can be done if you’ve a mind too. Another option is that Jamis bikes is going to have a booth near the loop entrance and a supply of demo bikes you can ride on the loop. You might want to check that out when you get there. I don’t know what the odds are but there is always a chance that they will have a bike that will fit you ready to go when you get there. There may be a fee but I think it was free….

KenH, July 19, 2016 at 10:27 pm

BTW the thread where someone promised to report back to us is here:

https://ragbrai.com/forums/topic/gravel-loop-tires/

He might yet post before we all have to leave for Glenwood. During the pre-ride they reported that part of the route was freshly graded and a bit loose while part was well compacted. All that could change depending on what maintenance has been done since then.

loujgibbons, July 20, 2016 at 9:47 am

Thanks for your replies Ken. Based on the email we received from RAGBRAI yesterday re: the gravel loop I think I am going to try and hustle to the gravel loop that morning and try to get a loaner bike from Jamis Bikes. If I can’t do that I won’t take my road bike on that loop.

Eric Boyle, July 20, 2016 at 10:10 pm

Lou, I am planning on doing it with 23mm. Although, looks like we might be able to snag a demo bike- looking forward. See you out there.

loujgibbons, July 21, 2016 at 8:56 am

Hey There Eric,

Fingers and toes crossed we can both snag demo bikes from Jamis. It will give me extra motivation to ride quickly to Randolph on Day 1 before all the demo bikes get spoken for.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Categories

RAGBRAI L – 2023

RAGBRAI XLIX – 2022

RAGBRAI XLVIII – 2021

Training

Gatherings & Meetings

Lost and Found

Miscellaneous

Clubs, Teams & Charters