PART OF THE USA TODAY NETWORK

Green Bay trails

Am heading to Green Bay in a few weeks to do a grad school visit with daughter. Will be there 3 days and while she is off doing her interviews, would like to do some riding, any body have any suggestions? Btw, I missed this years ride due to a fall on the ice and tore left rotator and bicep, into month 5 of disability due to lifting restrictions but was cleared to ride after month 3, employer terminated me so no need to hurry back and taking advantage of the nice fall like weather.

6 Replies

“Bicycle Bill”, September 8, 2019 at 12:38 pm

Wrong side of the state for me, but there are good trails pretty much all across Wisconsin.  Recommend you contact Carolyn Davis of BikeFed of Wisconsin (email carolyn.dvorak@wisconsinbikefed.org) and I’m sure she can put you in touch with a source of some useful material such as maps or local contacts who can provide that information for you.

rjjensenia, September 8, 2019 at 12:59 pm

I have heard Wisconsin has some incredible trails. Are they mostly riddable with 23 x 700C tyres?

“Bicycle Bill”, September 8, 2019 at 2:05 pm

Most state-run trails are the “crushed limestone screenings” trails — very fine gravel that has generally been compressed down over the years into a very firm surface (although this can change especially after rains and during the spring after the thaw).  Since 23 mm is just a little less than an inch across, I’d try to go with at least a 29 mm width (that would be about the same as 1⅛”); running a 32 mm would be even better.  If you keep them pumped up to maximum pressure you won’t notice that much additional rolling resistance, and if you sometimes let the pressure get a little less than maximum (or you’re a little on the chunky side, like me) the additional width of the tire equates to more air to cushion you.

In fact, back in the years when I rode RAGBRAI with ol’ Trusty Rusty, I always used 27×1¼ tires, even on paved roads, and found that
1) I never needed to sweat any gravel or rougher-than-usual road surfaces I might encounter and
2) I cut my incidence of pinch flats by almost 80%.

Buckcito, September 9, 2019 at 11:27 am

I live in NE Wisconsin and here’s a link to the DNR trail site:

https://dnr.wi.gov/topic/parks/activities/bike.html

The Mountain Bay State, Fox River, and Ahnapee will all be close to you. I’ve tried all 3 and find them very enjoyable. The Ahnapee goes through southern Door County which is very scenic this time of year. I’ve used my road bike on all three without any problems but the trails will have some ruts that you’ll have to watch out for.

KenH, September 9, 2019 at 2:05 pm

I had a nasty fall on an icy sidewalk this year too. I highly recommend avoiding that! Sorry to hear that your employer terminated you. I hope you find or have found a better one!!

I live in NE Illinois so I can’t help with trails around Green Bay. Because of football Illinoians are supposed to hate Green Bay but I grew up in central Wisconsin during the Lombardi/Starr, et al years and I love the Packers as much as the Bears so everyone hates me! Too bad you were not in southern Wisconsin yesterday, you could have ridden the Harmon Hundred on scenic roads in SE Wisconsin. It was a nice time and the first century I have had the chance to ride in two years or more so I was glad to find that I can still do one.

I would say that the compatibility of 23mm tires and crushed limestone depends on the weather. If the trail is wet and soft you are less likely to be happy with that combination. When the trail is dry and hard it will be almost like riding on pavement. Unless horses share the trail and then it can be like riding on pavement with many, many small potholes! Wider tires are preferred but much of the time 23s would do you fine.

John Hren, September 11, 2019 at 7:51 pm

Baird Creek has a nice challenging trail system. Here is a map.
https://bairdcreek.org/trails-maps-pets/

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Categories

Looking for RIDES

RAGBRAI XLVII – 2019

RAGBRAI XLVI – 2018

Training

RAGBRAI XLV – 2017

RAGBRAI XLIV – 2016

Gatherings & Meetings

Lost and Found

Miscellaneous

RAGBRAI XLIII – 2015

RAGBRAI XLII – 2014