Register for day passes through June 1, 2022!

Guess the Route 2022

(RAGBRAI staff, we need a new category in the forums, RAGBRAI 2022, fyi)

It does not appear there is going to be a guess the route contest again this year. So, how about we do it here instead? Anyone have any ideas, tips, inside info, good guesses, Dieter sightings, etc, etc?
My best guess thus far is an extreme North route, kind of hugging the MN border. Maybe a start in Rock Valley and end in Lansing? Throw in a couple of Lake towns and Mason City in the mix along with a stop at the new Decorah brewery and you would have a nice northern route zig zagging around Hwy 9. What say the rest of you and your crystal balls!
Anybody guesses them all right and I’ll buy you and your team a round at the start town.

57 Replies

Flippinsweetdude, December 20, 2021 at 10:20 pm

Begins somewhere along Iowa’s western border on the Missouri River and ends along the eastern border on the Mississippi River. :)

This reply was modified 4 months, 4 weeks ago by Flippinsweetdude.

Larry Klaaren, December 21, 2021 at 8:54 am

I am to make a guess that it is not going to start at the Missouri river this year. I think they will start north of Sioux City, where the MIssouri dodges west. So, my guess is that it will start by the Big Sioux somewhere. But wouldn’t it be crazy if it could start in Carter Lake, Iowa, west of the Missouri? Then we would have to travel through Nebraska and go over the MIssouri to reach continental Iowa. That would be kind of cool, and probably undoable.

stevecycles200, December 21, 2021 at 1:47 pm

Being XLIX will be my first I have been having fun looking at maps of Iowa and the previous overnight towns list to try and guess. The monkey in the wrench is that most people think next year will closely mimic the first RAGBRAI for the 50th. So that generally takes out central Iowa for this year. So does it stay way south, or go north to way north? Hmmm. I’ll concur with the OP and say way north, on the border with Pre-Canada, err Minnesota.

Ken Reed, December 21, 2021 at 3:41 pm

Here’s what I think: Rock Rapids, Okoboji, Algona, Mason City, Charles City, New Hampton, Decorah, and Lansing.

Uncle Kraig, December 21, 2021 at 4:37 pm

Here’s what I think: Rock Rapids, Okoboji, Algona, Mason City, Charles City, New Hampton, Decorah, and Lansing.

Ok Ken, you are officially entered in the contest. Beers on me in Rock Rapids if you win :) By the way, your guesses are in the same neighborhood has mine for sure. Cant wait till January 28th to find out.

Rules Update :) In the event of a tie, the earliest correct guess, in order posted here, wins the beers in the start town.

This reply was modified 4 months, 3 weeks ago by Uncle Kraig.

garywilk, December 21, 2021 at 6:39 pm

The problem is can anyone really answer is this the 49th or 50th. I like the north but with the national balloon classic in Indianola later in the week, It may be a southern route if the jersey is a hint.

Ken Reed, December 21, 2021 at 6:56 pm

Uncle Kraig: Sounds like a plan.
Gary: I heard on the podcast that they went with the balloon on the logo as a spoof of “Around the World in 80 Days” since this year’s tagline for RAGBRAI is “Across Iowa in 8 days”.

Danny Edens, December 22, 2021 at 12:16 am

Well I Do know that Mason City and Lansing did put a bid in to be overnight towns. But that doesn’t mean they will get it.

My Guess is:
Seregeant Bluff
Cherokee
Milford (Okoboji)
Algona
Mason City
New Hampton or Waverly
Manchester
Dubuque

Amanda, December 22, 2021 at 12:08 pm

I want in on this action! My guess is Rock Rapids, Spencer, Algona, Clear Lake, Waverly Decorah, Manchester and Bellevue.

Uncle Kraig, December 22, 2021 at 2:19 pm

Danny and Amanda – Your entries are noted. Lots of people planning on heading North this July, uh? You know what that means, right? With all of us guessing North, we’ll probably end up on the Missouri border :)

Derek Eilderts, December 22, 2021 at 4:44 pm

Who knows what the route will be. But it will certainly not be the perfect M themed route – Missouri Valley -> Maple River (Carroll) -> (E)mmetsburg -> Mason City -> Marshalltown -> Marion -> Mt Pleasant -> Fort Madison
Because that would be too awesome! A man can dream.

T. Gap Woo, December 26, 2021 at 8:02 am

I’ve tried everything I know, in my previous futile attempts to predict a route — from crystal balls to Magic 8 ball — with no success. This year, I tried a billiard cue ball, but got no responses. O well.

So I’ll make a partial prediction based on the theme “Tidings of Comfort and Joy.” Ragbrai will bring economic relief to those overnight and pass-through towns who unfortunately suffered natural disasters in the last few years: flooding (Hamburg, Davenport and any other river cities who flooded a few summers ago); tornadoes (Pella, Marshalltown and countless other towns who almost visited the Land of Oz); derechos (farm country around Cedar Rapids and Waterloo); and, drought (you name the area! Lord knows there are plenty of farmers who have suffered enough these last few years!).

In all honesty, wherever the route goes, Ragbrai’ers will bring tidings of great economic comfort and joy to all.

I hope my brethren and sistern Ragbrai’ers had a merry Christmas and wish you all a Happy, Healthy and Prosperous New Year. I’ll see you along the I-O-Way in seven (!) months.

garywilk, December 26, 2021 at 10:45 am

Still almost 8 months away and still can not wait. Most of the towns mentioned are north and I really love that. The bakeries are great up there. Still have to hit the farm kids. Only means that I gain 10 pounds riding 500 miles instead of just 5. If I had a vote and it counted, Edens! Either way209 and counting

LawnchairMan, December 27, 2021 at 1:03 pm

Derek
I like your route and the alliteration. In that spirit, though, I would substitute Mapleton for Carrol. I too think that Missouri Valley and Fort Madison are long overdue.

LawnchairMan, December 27, 2021 at 1:34 pm

Another thought in favor of this route is in staying with the “Around Iowa” theme. It starts in the middle, goes North around Des Moines, and comes back down to end in the southern part of the state. Perhaps a start in Glenwood would be even more along these lines. It wouldn’t go with the “M” theme though, so I will stick with Missouri Valley.

Viewing 15 replies - 1 through 15 (of 57 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Categories

RAGBRAI XLIX – 2022

RAGBRAI XLVIII – 2021

RAGBRAI XLVIII – 2020

Training

Gatherings & Meetings

Lost and Found

Miscellaneous

Clubs, Teams & Charters

Friends of RAGBRAI